Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 04:24 PM

101 posts, read 176,366 times

Advertisements

Is it ok for Asian parents to hit their children to make them obey?

Old 10-31-2022, 04:41 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Smacking and slapping kids on the arm, buttocks or leg is fine in my book. Just not with closed fists and not while you are extremely angry.
For me, the belt is a scare tactic, but I've never actually used it like my mom and dad did on me. Thankfully, I don't have to do either of these much any more now that they are getting older.

Not sure what being Asian has to do with disciplining your kids in CA.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:52 PM

113 posts, read 54,112 times
Whatever the race, hitting kids is child abuse. Period. New gen is evolving from all the wrong things boomer gen did in the past.

Old 10-31-2022, 05:04 PM

101 posts, read 176,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Not sure what being Asian has to do with disciplining your kids in CA.
I asked because I hear stories Asian families hit their children because the children didn't obey. They hit their children in the butts with long sticks, or slap them in the face. According to the laws, is it legal or not?

Old 10-31-2022, 05:12 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
According to the laws, is it legal or not?
I couldn't tell you, I let my moral compass guide me with regard to discipline, not laws or cultural standards.

Old 10-31-2022, 05:32 PM

383 posts, read 180,869 times
Quote:
I asked because I hear stories Asian families hit their children because the children didn't obey. They hit their children in the butts with long sticks, or slap them in the face. According to the laws, is it legal or not?

Asians in Asia, or Asians in America?

Old 10-31-2022, 05:45 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
It isn't as simple as you're trying to make it. You are also dealing with hearsay. If no one witnesses a child being hit, the law may have nothing to say about anything. My parents certainly did swat their kids once in a while for deliberate disobedience, but the circumstances leading up to it and the definition of "hitting" mattered quite a bit. A quick smack on the behind through clothing is very different from an orchestrated paddling with a hairbrush for something really, really heinous. The justification for something like that was unequivocal in my very limited experience (something I knew quite well was wrong, pretty stupid, and dangerous). That we're not Asian is beside the point.

Old 10-31-2022, 05:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
What an odd question.
Why does race have anything to do with it?

Also, I’m a boomer and I haven’t hit my kids.
Most of my friends haven’t either.
We don’t beat our dogs either .

You both know that people are people regardless of their color or age right?

Old 10-31-2022, 06:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp86 View Post
Whatever the race, hitting kids is child abuse. Period. New gen is evolving from all the wrong things boomer gen did in the past.
There is a big difference between discipline and abuse.

It might be that new generations are evolving from all the wrong and right things that Boomers did in the past but abusing kids isn't one of the wrong things that Boomers can be blamed for, they did the exact opposite. Boomers are the generation who created new laws to put a STOP to corporal punishment of children in their homes and schools and to make it illegal. If you don't know that then you need to read up on history and get your facts straight and quit pointing fingers and laying blame.

The main thing that Boomers did wrong with raising new generations is that they over-indulged their children and started 3 new generations of today's parents who are not doing very well as parents. They are Generation X (circa 1965 to 1985), the Millennial Generation (circa 1985 to 2000), and Gen Z (post-Millennial) (2001 to 2020's) who have increasingly with each new generation spoiled their children rotten and created new generations of self-absorbed entitlement minded immature snots who don't know the meaning of hardships and who bully other people and have screaming temper tantrums if they can't always get their own way.

These 3 newest generations need to take responsibility and make themselves accountable to society for their own wrong doings before they have any rights to point fingers and lay blame at the feet of the Boomer generation.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:59 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
If a parent has to "hit" their kid, to make them obey, then the parent is out-of-control. Not the kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting