Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 02:12 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,513,381 times

Advertisements

In this country at least, phones are being banned in schools for obvious reasons. The practice is spreading internationally and may come to your shores too (if it hasn’t already)
So my grandson of 12 has started to walk home this year. On those days he is given an old phone of his father’s whìch has to be left in his bag at school. He can just use it to call if there is a problem. I have no idea what type of phone it is as, regardless, it does the job intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 07:16 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,311,615 times
I suggest a compromise and if they're going to get any phone, get them the Samsung. But it would be the Galaxy Z fold 5 with max memory. That way they would have a phone that costs way more than the other kids, has a feature the iPhone lacks, and therefore will have more status, which is what this is really about.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:49 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,007 times
They aint driving? A flip phone is good enough at that age.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They don't do that more than twice if no one jumps up to bring them take-out food. They only do it if their order gets delivered to them when they call for it. News flash parents: you do not have to give your children everything and anything they ask for, nor do you have to provide it immediately.
Oh, but they do; they do!

Old 12-18-2023, 08:17 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Yup.

The OP is not a relative. There's a lot in his first post that, to me, speaks of being a bit too high-handed and presumptuous in his relation with this mom and her twin girls. Generous, to be sure, but there's something a little 'extra' there too. JMO.
For once, I agree with you. Is OP a millionaire? What is with buying a "friend's" children $1k gifts, to say nothing of dictating what they will be? And starting this will mean they MUST have a new phone every year (rolls eyes), so they'll be forever in his debt. Kind of strange...

Old 12-18-2023, 09:00 AM

2,020 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
so they'll be forever in his debt. Kind of strange...
Or perhaps it's the MOM who he wants in his debt.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:06 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Buy the android phone. Tell them "Sorry, kids, but Your Mom said No Iphone, and she's in charge".

Old 12-18-2023, 10:36 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Buy the android phone. Tell them "Sorry, kids, but Your Mom said No Iphone, and she's in charge".
An outsider should not be playing himself against the Mom. Trying to buy favor by putting the mother down. And in the meantime, training the kids to play himself against the mother. Saying that to the kids would be completely and totally out of line.

It's actually not good for children to have the newest and the latest and the greatest, especially when it is out of the family's price range. It does bad things to the child's expectations and makes them even more entitled than a child usually is.

Unless when the OP says he has been long friends with the mother, he means he has been dating her for many years, it is inappropriate for him t be giving really expensive gifts to pre-pubescent girls. As a mother, I would never allow it, so I hope that in this case, it involves a very long running and close relationship with the mother.

Old 12-18-2023, 12:36 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
Smartphones have a lot of negative impact on adolescents. If they’re going to get smartphones, a Samsung will work with parental controls. iPhones are not good in that regard. I would never recommend an iPhone for a minor unless the parent is planning to not have any control over the smartphone usage.
My wife is a special ed teacher so she deals with the parental controls on iPhones and iPads a lot. Apple offers just as good of parental controls as any device. No reason to stick to Samsung in that regard.

It's arguable that the iPhone is better due to air tag tracking, find my iphone, and usage stats all in one package.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:53 PM

2,292 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
When ever my grandkids have suggested they need a device, I firmly tell them that their parents are in charge of that.
A friend has even less right to dictate than a grandparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting