Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times

Advertisements

My comments imbedded in quote below. When I was in school some of these things were actually taught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What Do You Wish Was Taught In School For Kids?

What do you find kids that grow up into adulthood of today are lacking?

Here are some things I thought of

Finance (includes how to manage credit cards, checkbooks, saving) This was taught somewhat in conjunction with accounting and economics.

Swimming Some schools do have a swimming team and some swimming classes are also taught. And why not if they have a swimming coach and the facilities.

Basic Auto Repair (like changing a tire, oil change)Some schools have been known to have auto shop class. These days it's more of a vocational school thing.

MannersShould be taught at home but I think rude children should be called on their behavior.

Self Esteem Self Value (if a kid fails this class do you give them a F? or will you make it worse?) Some things can't be taught.

Etiquette Could be taught in conjunction with Home Ec. But office ediquette is taught in conjuction with other office tech courses. Such as how to address someone in a letter (or email) and how to appropriately close a letter.

Resume preparation This is taught in keyboarding and office tech. (My mother taught both along with PC Computing)

Proper way to clean and what do you wash first.Not the school's responsibility...that is unless the kid made a complete mess at school and his punishment was to clean it up.

Appropriate attire for different situations. I suppose the home ec teacher could have a fashion course.

OrganizationThis should be learned by necessity. If you aren't organized it will come through in your grades....usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Honestly, I think that list is worthless. Most is common sense. Where do you propose we stick those classes in? I only could take 8 classes a semester in high school and certainly did not have a spare class to throw in a waste of my time. Not to mention do you really want teachers teaching basic finances? I didn't think so.

We do need to up requirements. My school system was stellar by requiring a full 4 years of science, math, social studies (including half course government and economics or full year if AP senior year), and English as well as 2 years of foreign language. Now, I think foreign language should be at least the full 4 courses (I took 7 of one and 2 of another) but the overall schedule is still much better than most school systems. Just to get into some top schools, you ONLY need 3 maths, 2 sciences, and 2 social studies as a bare minimum which means that some school systems only require that little. It's ridiculous!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,612 times
Quote:
What Do You Wish Was Taught In School For Kids?...

...Finance (includes how to manage credit cards, checkbooks, saving) agree. And maybe the kids can help the parents learn it, too!

Swimming -- might be difficult in schools without pools

Basic Auto Repair (like changing a tire, oil change) -- very, very basic. I can change a tire but for everything else, I just take it in.

Manners -- should be an on-going process, starting in pre-school and continuing through HS graduation (also, see note below)

Self Esteem Self Value (if a kid fails this class do you give them a F? or will you make it worse?) -- can't be "taught" but can be fostered. Schools should be reinforcing *should be* happening at home (see note below)

Etiquette -- see Manners above

Resume preparation -- definitely agree. Schools shouldn't prepare the resumes but should definitely give guidance on how it is done

Proper way to clean and what do you wash first. -- on the fence here. Cleaning what? Kitchens and baths? Vacuuming? Laundry? (see note below)

Appropriate attire for different situations. -- see note below

Organization -- should be an on-going process. Work on space management, project management, time management, leadership, being a team player...
Note: Several of the things you've noted *should* be being taught by parents. But, as we all know, too many parents have dropped the ball (many aren't even aware there is a ball), so it's up to the rest of us to pick up the slack. "The rest of us" includes neighbors, schools, teams, religious organizations, etc.

All that being said, sadly, this is just a wishlist for most public schools (I think private schools generally do touch on these subjects). With so many kids getting out of school not being able to string 6 properly spelled words together into a coherent sentence, manners instruction may need to take a back seat .

One more subject I'd like to put on our wishlist: Basic First Aid and Basic CPR. I think EVERYone should know these, starting with how to clean a wound and apply a Bandaid and moving on from there.

I like the "Life Skills" title for the course! Once a week, every year, starting in Kindergarten. Ah we can dream, can't we?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,310 times
I can understand your list means that you would like children to be taught these things and agree with you, but believe most of it is up to parents.

School is for academics, arts, culture, etc. Personal disciplines start at home.

I would like to see typing taught at an early age though.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sunny, don't you think most of those should be taught at home. I know they aren't but boy, we learned most of those at home. I do know that a lot of schools do have business classes that do teach resume prep, etc. but manners and etiquette should be learned at home. Swimming-they still have that in the PE classes here. We have auto shop classes available to those interested but my dad taught me most of that--or, I have the phone number for AAA in my wallet .

Self esteem CANNOT be taught no matter what some parents think. Self esteem is something you learn when you do something well, plain and simple. If everyone gets an award for something it becomes meaningless. If kids work hard to become the best, they should be rewarded.
I agree! Too many parents just turn their kids over to day cares and schools to raise their kids. Things such as etiquette, how to behave, auto skills can and should be taught at home. Schools should be focusing on the academics but they are spending so much time being substitute parents.

I do agree a personal finance class would be beneficial.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
I think that basic tax preparation should be taught. Preparing your taxes is something that everyone is going to have to do every year, and so many find so daunting. I don't think it needs to be a whole course, but I think it should be included in a social studies course, probably around the time when kids are about 16 and have jobs requiring them to file taxes for the first time.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i wish they could be taight at home, but most parents dont know how to do many of those things themselves!
i love SunnyKayak's list and i would add to that:
basic sewing--as in buttons and hems and basic cooking. i wish they would teach these to boys and girls.
i know that schools offer electives, but that means not everyone takes the classes--and i think everyone needs to. i went to a school that did not have these classes at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Honestly, I think that list is worthless. Most is common sense. Where do you propose we stick those classes in? I only could take 8 classes a semester in high school and certainly did not have a spare class to throw in a waste of my time. Not to mention do you really want teachers teaching basic finances? I didn't think so.

We do need to up requirements. My school system was stellar by requiring a full 4 years of science, math, social studies (including half course government and economics or full year if AP senior year), and English as well as 2 years of foreign language. Now, I think foreign language should be at least the full 4 courses (I took 7 of one and 2 of another) but the overall schedule is still much better than most school systems. Just to get into some top schools, you ONLY need 3 maths, 2 sciences, and 2 social studies as a bare minimum which means that some school systems only require that little. It's ridiculous!
Wow Midol can do wonders

It a hypothetical thread not a bill being passed by congress. Just a possible wish list of things that kids nowdays are lacking.
Have you not met someone who cant swim, change the oil in car? pay off bills? Rude do lack of manners (um humph) And it could be in your perfect world but the reality of things in America paint a different picture.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Id like to see musical instruments and reading music as a standard/required part of study and not just an "elective" that a student could choose to take for half a semester. Students could choose one or all of the following to study - piano, violin, cello, guitar, and a few wind instruments. I think it really helps to build character in a child. Go to any prison and I doubt you'll find many classically trained pianists there. But if you go to any large hospital or law firm, you may very well find quite a few people who know music.

Id also like to see required classes being taught on virtue. Not the standard ethics classes that we all took - but basic classes on the importance of virtue and virtuous behaviour. A class that will require kids to actually go out and practice honor, integrity, duty, rightness, etc. for their homework and come back into the classroom to present their homework.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
One more subject I'd like to put on our wishlist: Basic First Aid and Basic CPR.
Doh, how come I didnt think of that. You are sooooooo right. EVERYONE should know first aid and CPR.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Wow Midol can do wonders

It a hypothetical thread not a bill being passed by congress. Just a possible wish list of things that kids nowdays are lacking.
Have you not met someone who cant swim, change the oil in car? pay off bills? Rude do lack of manners (um humph) And it could be in your perfect world but the reality of things in America paint a different picture.
Thank you! I thought I was crazy...

On a side note, I think foriegn language is a waste of time as anything other than an elective. Teaching kids how to properly handle their finances is way more important. While it may well be something that parents should do obviously that hasn't worked all that well for the last generation or so if you look at all the bankruptcy filings, forclosures and levels of credit card debt. How many of y'all know people who can't or won't balance their own checkbook? I know several!
If a parent can't manage their own finances how does one expect them to teach a child? That's like asking Michael Vic to teach kids how to take care of dogs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting