Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:05 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

As the parent of another "shortest kid in the class" I'm going to suggest that you talk to your daughter whenever she brings up being in any special program at school. Let her know that if she is behind someone taller than she is during practice, she needs to ask the teacher to move her then. A lot of times teachers lined kids up alphabetically and my tiny son was frequently last on line and at the very back of the risers, totally invisible. Most of the time his teachers were really good about moving him up to the front, as long as the problem was brought up early enough, during rehearsal sessions. Trying to rearrange the kids once they have all learned their place in line is difficult at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Short answer: No, (and I do have an only child).

My views/opinions on the matter are similar to those of other dissenting opinionaters. As previous posters have already mentioned, there could have been an actual reason for the placement of your child, etc. Ruminating over the ordeal isn't going to solve anything, isn't going to give you new memories/pictures, and, in MY opinion, pointless. Another thought... Although your child may not be this particular teacher's student next year, teachers do talk across grades. Who's to say that the teacher doesn't point out your "disappointment" to next year's teacher? Then your darling child will be painted with the brush of "the one with the difficult mother." You may potentially be making things more problematic for your kiddo next year.

Just my $0.02.
I would not have sent the note. And yes, my son was smaller than others and often got "lost" in pictures. I just made sure we had pictures after the event w/ other students, teachers, etc. It surely didn't damage my child and it did not mar anything for me, either. (BTW - my son grew up to be 6'3" tall, so it all worked out for later graduations, LOL!!!)

My mother used to get all bent out of shape over stuff like this and I gotta tell you . . . it embarrassed my siblings and me that she made issues out of such things as "I can't see my child" (and she did - at a dance recital - and my sister was mortified). She was one to write notes and call up teachers and the principal when she felt her children had not been treated fairly. It was embarrassing and my mother got a reputation w/ the teachers of being petty and quick to find fault, even tho she always wrote "polite" notes and made "polite" calls. Other parents used to roll their eyes, and the kids would tease us about it - and say things about how we were "special." Not a good thing. At least it taught me to have a great sense of humor and laugh things off, as otherwise, it would have been quite humiliating.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My mother used to get all bent out of shape over stuff like this and I gotta tell you . . . it embarrassed my siblings and me that she made issues out of such things as "I can't see my child" (and she did - at a dance recital - and my sister was mortified). She was one to write notes and call up teachers and the principal when she felt her children had not been treated fairly. It was embarrassing and my mother got a reputation w/ the teachers of being petty and quick to find fault, even tho she always wrote "polite" notes and made "polite" calls. Other parents used to roll their eyes, and the kids would tease us about it - and say things about how we were "special." Not a good thing. At least it taught me to have a great sense of humor and laugh things off, as otherwise, it would have been quite humiliating.
This so true it made me laugh! Thanks for your honesty.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
This so true it made me laugh! Thanks for your honesty.
Childhood can be soooo . . . well . . . you know. Hard being a parent but it isn't so easy being a kid, either!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Last fall at my oldest's parent night (high school) he told me that a girl in one of his classes mentioned to the teacher that her dad would be there that night. The teacher said "what about your mother?" And the girl answered "trust me, you DON'T want to meet my mother".

My son finished 11th grade this year and I know this girl's mother and she was definitely someone you would lump into the "problem parent" category---especially in elementary school. If there was something to be said or complained about, she was there saying it or complaining about it.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
As both a parent and a teacher I agree with this post. I realized a long time ago that I am never going to make every parent happy and that the best thing for me to do is be the best teacher I know how to be and deal with situations as the arise the best way I can at that time.

I absolutely would not have moved the child either, these things are practiced and practiced and each child is given a spot to stand and that is just the way it is. If I knew the parents were upset I would have explained my reasons to them and hoped they understood. I will also admit that if I had received an email or letter I would probably roll my eyes and chalk it up to an "oldest or only" parent. Just being honest here.
As a teacher & parent, too, I think parents sometimes fail to realize that their is one teacher for how many students?
Teachers are not perfect & sometimes screw up.

Send a letter. Whatever will give your heart a break. Not sure if your dd will remember her kinder graduation, but you will, so I guess the letter is being written due to your concerns & feelings.

As for letters from parents that cover border line obsessive compulsive about their child to completely hands free, I really never dwelled on them. Of course, nutty parents are talked about in teacher lounges & prior to the school year as teachers met the previous year teachers to get some info, etc. It's fair warning just as parents talk about teachers. I'd have to say that in my experience I worked VERY hard at not holding a grudge against a student b/c of their parents. It's not the student's fault

Many times letter or phone calls from parents are appreciated. I had 94 students throughout the day on average, so sometimes certain things would get by me. I tried my best everyday, but sometimes messed up & didn't know it. I appreciated a call or note from a parent that was written professionally & politely. Same went with phone calls. Please, let me know if I did something that concerns you but please just do it in a nice manner

But I taught for the students, not the parents.

I guess I am the minority who feel things have gotten out of control in prek-kinder in regards to plays, ceremonies & awards for just showing up. But that's just me.

Hope to the OP that her heart is at ease with what she decides.

Last edited by 121804; 06-28-2008 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 07:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
My son finished 11th grade this year and I know this girl's mother and she was definitely someone you would lump into the "problem parent" category---especially in elementary school. If there was something to be said or complained about, she was there saying it or complaining about it.
The average life expectancy of 1st year teachers is 4 years before they leave the profession.

I'd have to say that parents & admin are probably the #1 reason teachers stop teaching.

Give me a difficult student ANY day over a difficult parent.

But, in these times, there are reasons for difficult parents, difficult students & difficult teachers. Life has become too complicated & stressed.

School is about enjoyment, exploration & discovery. It's too bad so much of this has been forgotten.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:00 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
Hi All,

If you read my post, frogandtoad, you will see that I have mentioned we did listen to the program and the kids and how memorable and sweet the whole thing was. Did not think it was necessary to stress on something so obvious, but then it never ceases to surprise me how the anonymity the internet provides total strangers the opportuniy to pass judgement in public forums. Maybe we should call this the Oprah-net

D/
Maybe you shouldn't ask opinions from total strangers on the web if you don't want to hear the answers.

I would have no problem saying what I said to you in person, btw, if you'd asked in person for an opinion. I wouldn't have said it unsolicited, but I am very straight-forward and am not hiding behind anything. You asked, I answered. Just like I would face to face. I stand exactly by what I said.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:45 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Maybe you shouldn't ask opinions from total strangers on the web if you don't want to hear the answers.

I would have no problem saying what I said to you in person, btw, if you'd asked in person for an opinion. I wouldn't have said it unsolicited, but I am very straight-forward and am not hiding behind anything. You asked, I answered. Just like I would face to face. I stand exactly by what I said.
I am reading everyone's opinions and I am fine with the different views - that is why I posted here - to get ideas. What I am saying here, again, is for you to read the post and see where I mentioned I enjoyed the program and how sweet the kids are...as opposed to your post which said otherwise...

The point being is read the full post before posting and making assumptions...I use public forums very frequently, and it is just not you...many people do it, and I am trying to point out, READ everything before rushing in to post your opinion.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Why are you arguing? If you don't like my opinion, move on! I did read the whole post. You were not happy you couldn't see your child. It was a big enough deal to you that you kept thinking about after the event, made the effort to write about it online, made the effort to send an email to the teacher. Your mind was not 100% on the concert it seems or you wouldn't have been thinking about it beyond a fleeting moment. It seems that you get caught up on things--much like you're really caught up on my email for some reason.

I meant exactly what I said, even having read the full email. Now more than ever, I meant exactly what I said. Just move on if you are so sure I'm wrong! (Which is exactly what I"m going to do. I'm not going waste energy on something like this. I encourage you do to the same).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting