Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school, I had this one class where all I did was work on homework and sit with my teachers in this one room if I needed help. It was kinda like a homework enforcement class.

Usually I would sit and do homework while they would grade their papers.

One of the teachers got onto the topic of students not writing out their full names and instead of what they go by.

Like Chrissy Smith instead of Christina Smith
Or Matt Smith instead of Matthew Smith.

She said she MADE her daughter who was about 9-10 years old write out her full name on all her school papers. I don't remember what her daughters name was but it was a long name something like Alexandra or Catherine but it was a quite lengthy name and she went by a shorter version of her name verbally and her mom said that her daughter wanted to write it shorter on her school papers, like homework etc and her mom was telling her co-workers how she wasn't going to let her daughter do so.

Would you ever make your kids do something like that?
Can you say overbearing and controlling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
When I was in 11th grade, I complained to my parents that one teacher insisted on calling me by my formal name.

My parents instructed me to not respond to her unless she used my nickname.

It worked like a charm!

The teacher eventually caved and started calling me by my nickname---the name I used since the day I was born.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
You all sound like a bunch of B.S. loafers to me. HHMMM making kids write out their full names. WOW what a novel idea.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You all sound like a bunch of B.S. loafers to me. HHMMM making kids write out their full names. WOW what a novel idea.
Yeah, it's a shame.... Mean old parents...

And had I been the teacher to the one that would not answer to their full name, they would have been marked as absent.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:08 PM

177 posts, read 471,302 times
it probably isnt a sting at you or you child in particular. the teacher probably has trouble remembering nicknames for certain children. there may be other children who prefer to be called a name that isnt exactly their birth name. teachers get on a first name basis only with children once theyve been in the class a while. just let it go and dont think too much into it. remember that teachers have to treat everyone equally-singling out a certain child to write his or her full name would be discrimination so instead, the teacher must have everyone do the same.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
And had I been the teacher to the one that would not answer to their full name, they would have been marked as absent.
Sounds like a power trip.

I managed to go through 11 years of school before I had a teacher who couldn't remember nicknames.

She didn't take attendance. I simply ignored her when she called on me.

She would have another student tap me on the shoulder, and then I would answer her.

If she mentioned my not responding to my formal name, I would say very nicely, "I'm sorry. I didn't hear you."

It's unrealistic to suddenly expect someone to hear and respond to a name they rarely hear.

Furthermore, a child could have an undiagnosed hearing problem. But you go ahead and take the chance of marking a potentially disabled student absent!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like a power trip.

I managed to go through 11 years of school before I had a teacher who couldn't remember nicknames.

She didn't take attendance. I simply ignored her when she called on me.

She would have another student tap me on the shoulder, and then I would answer her.

If she mentioned my not responding to my formal name, I would say very nicely, "I'm sorry. I didn't hear you."

It's unrealistic to suddenly expect someone to hear and respond to a name they rarely hear.

Furthermore, a child could have an undiagnosed hearing problem. But you go ahead and take the chance of marking a potentially disabled student absent!
No, sounds disrespectful to the teacher by both the student and parents....

And now you are making excuses...for your and your parents childish behavior...

Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Yeah, it's a shame.... Mean old parents...

Seriously, that's extremely disrespectful of the student. If the parents called him that name from the day he was born, they should have given him that name.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
My name is Kimberly. I used to go by Kim, but some teachers would call me Kimberly. Now, most would ask what I go by, but I wouldn't be so rude and disrespectful to not answer to Kimberly. Now I have the opposite problem. Since becoming an adult I go by Kimberly. I introduce myself as such, yet most people still call me Kim. These are not people who knew me when I went by Kim. Should I not answer my boss at work when she calls me Kim?

Old 05-02-2010, 04:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermister View Post
it probably isnt a sting at you or you child in particular. the teacher probably has trouble remembering nicknames for certain children. there may be other children who prefer to be called a name that isnt exactly their birth name. teachers get on a first name basis only with children once theyve been in the class a while. just let it go and dont think too much into it. remember that teachers have to treat everyone equally-singling out a certain child to write his or her full name would be discrimination so instead, the teacher must have everyone do the same.
It's the parent's responsibility to make sure the child's right name is used in school. My son goes by his middle name & it is increbily easy to make sure this happens. As for the parents telling their children to do something such as ignoring the teacher, well, that is just poor manners. All the parents have to do is make a phone call. Teacher doesn't want to cooperate? Talk to the principal. But to promote retaliation is just as bad manners as what the teacher does...thus, no one is showing anything to the child.

And it takes about 2 weeks to get names down. It's not rocket science

As for the point of this thread...don't get it...so some parents want their children to spell out & know their complete name. Yep. I'm one of them. Again, in the school setting he has learned his complete name but is called his middle name & writes his middle name. But we do make sure he practices his full name on a regular basis. Call Oprah and sign up my son for parental abuse segment.

Definition of overbearing: making sure your child knows how to spell their complete name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting