Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times

Advertisements

I had already decided that my children were a bit too lazy and entitled to suit me; I'm tweaking their chore list.
Now, they are ages 13 and 11.
I feel like they are both old enough to use the riding mower, with supervision...especially the 13-year-old.
I would rather the 11-year-old stick to the push mower, but I did allow him to use the riding mower today as I was outside to see him and supervise.

Do you all think this is okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Depends on each kid, individually. Some will never be mature enough, but yet others can handle it at a very young age. Plus their backgrounds come into play.

I grew up on the farm and was operating tracters when I was 8-9. Most of the neighbor kids did the same for their folks on the farm.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I had already decided that my children were a bit too lazy and entitled to suit me; I'm tweaking their chore list.
I feel like they are both old enough to use the riding mower, with supervision...especially the 13-year-old.
I would rather the 11-year-old stick to the push mower, but I did allow him to use the riding mower today as I was outside to see him and supervise.

The question is not what I think, but what do the laws in your state say. You might want to check on that.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:

Believe it or not, most of the major medical associations that take of children with traumatic injuries advocate 12 as the minimum age for use of power mower and 16 for the use of a rider mower.

I have seen far too many horrific pediatric amputations over the years to ever let my kids near a mower personally.

Mowing the lawn is not child's play

Old 07-01-2008, 06:22 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
Children don't have the same amount of motor control or abilities as adults... who are for the most part stronger and have a better head on their shoulders in terms of judgement. I have heard of two accidents from riding mowers in the past couple of years that have involved kids and the mower... I wouldn't suggest it. If you are really concerned for their safety- I would put that off until they are older and more physically able- 16 perhaps... maybe 15 if they are mature and handle themselves right. Kids just don't think straight and too much can go wrong.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
The question is not what I think, but what do the laws in your state say. You might want to check on that.
What a smarmy response.

And I wasn't aware there are laws on the books regarding lawn mowers....

Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,634 times
Quote:
What a smarmy response.

I'm not aware of such laws in TN. You'll see kids earing their own money using chainsaws to cut wood,or mowing grass with riding mowers about age 12 and up. Some of these kids you'll see are ''cops kids to''. I done it, my kids do it, and my dad & family is in law inforcement.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,601 times
I agree that it really depends on the maturity of the child.... however, I would make a rule that when they are mowing no one else is allowed in the yard. (except mom of course). I saw a show a few years ago where the teenage son actually ran over his little sister while mowing the lawn on a riding mower. He had no idea she had come into the yard.

We had 12 acres as a kid and I think I was probably 12 or 13 when I started mowing. Just remember safety first and make sure you kids understand that it is all business when they are either riding the mower or pushing one.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
What a smarmy response.

I had an experience that caused me to ask that question. I had a voluteer helper one Summer and was cautioned that she could only legally do certain things for me. She could not vacuum the floor, because that was considered machinery and she was too young to legally operate machines. I believe a lawn mower is a machine too. I am sure the laws vary from state to state. I live in a state that believes in protecting children from irresponsible people.

I also volunteered in a church nursery, had young girls who wanted to help and was told that we could not have anyone under 12 helping us because a child could not legally babysit until they are 12 years old.

My dh had a stroke last year and could not mow our lawn or drive because he was temperorily seeing double. I had to drive the lawnmower. I have been driving for more than 40 years and it is my opinion that a riding mower is much harder to operate than a car. My opinion is that the person should be at least 18 to operate a riding mower. If in doubt, don't.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
Can I ask a stupid question, why is a push lawnmover safer than a riding? I figure it would be the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting