Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,894 times

Advertisements

Oh my favorite subject...

Been working with kids for over 22 years. I babysit 1 child in my home and a second one will be starting in October..

Some of you mothers think that we are out to "get you". Wrong. How do you think it feels to us very qualified, with excellent references, child care workers when you only want to pay 2 bucks an hour? Seriously, would you work for that? That's just a slap in the face.

I do this for a living. We take care of you children longer then you do. Ever think of that? I fight my battles. I'm not going to subject myself to piddly pay when your child is going to get excellent, loving care. I also teach your child. I don't just sit on my butt eating bon bons. Think about about it. Most days it's 8-10 hours a day. Let's say you have a newborn, whom require much care. Damn straight, I'm charging 35-40 dollars a day. This is what I do for a living, not just "something to do". When a child reaches 4, I'll more then likely lower your rate. I don't fight for money anymore. You don't want to pay it, then go to the other home that only charges a dollar an hour. Keep in mind cheaper isn't always better. Ask the mom I have now. She learned real quick.

Another thing. Most people know ahead of time(before even getting pregnant)that they will need childcare. If you can't afford it, don't have kids. Times have changed. Gas isn't a dollar a gallon, milk isn't 75 cents. House payments aren't 200 bucks a month. Just like you parents, us caregivers have to support our families as well. We live paycheck to paycheck some months. Spoiled, not even close.

Quote:
However, I do know that you couldn't pay me enough to be a provider. Not because of the children - but because of the parents. A good friend of mine had been a provider for over 10 years, and recently stopped altogether because of the abusive behavior of the parents.
Amen Claire F

Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 PM

20 posts, read 79,629 times
It amazes me that everything is so generalized and stereotypical these days.

And I'm only nineteen.

I've worked in three daycares myself. The first two I left because I moved states. The third one I couldn't take anymore because of the parents who were either one, walking in the building like they were high status just because they had a higher paying job and could afford daycare - unlike most of the employees there (it was expensive for a daycare). Secondly, the parents, or consistent 'non-parents' (friends, "uncles", yadayada), that would bring there kid in at 6:30 when we opened, and picked them up past seven, when we closed. It's not like they'd come in straight from work. Some of them had the time to go somewhere, change into rather skimpy clothes, douse themselves in heavy perfume, and then realize "Oh yeah, my kid!"

Or the parents that would send their kids to daycare on a fifty five degree day in a halter dress or shorts.

I'm not saying all or even a lot of parents are bad. I just feel bad for the ones who think they're better than everyone else and deserve queen greetings and for the ones have no idea how to treat their children correctly.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
I actually had a parent whom the other parents dubbed "The Valley Girl" she would flick her hair at them and talk to them as though they were so beneath her. They would speak to her and she would sigh and if any of them mentioned their own children around her she would roll her eyes.

I was told to "lose" her work number as she didn't want to be disturbed and to call her husband and get him out of work in an emergency although she worked down the street.
Then she had her second child...this poor baby screamed (high pitch I might add) because I was NOT to DARE feed him before or after 10:00AM and 2:00PM. This poor baby was starving all the time and when 10:00 and 2:00 rolled around the poor thing gulped it so fast and so hard that he was in pain for the next 3 hours. So sad. She was on maternity leave for three months and sent both her children..the baby just 5 weeks again don't call me I'm tired. They are no longer here.

I now have a mother who runs around checking all the other babies thighs to see if her child's thighs are normal....they are. The baby is 7 months old and the Mom feels that this baby is too fat. She just made it to 17 pounds.

I also had another parent who swore that there was something wrong with her child and was always looking for something. When I was away on vacation, she badgered her Dr's office to put her child through MRI's and Bone Scans. There was nothing wrong. Healthy beautiful child who will grow up to be a hypocondriac.

A few year's back my brother was killed in a tragic work accident. I was working at the time and when I got the first call that there was an accident and he was being worked on but it didn't look good, I collapsed. It was around pick-up time and mostly everyone was wonderful. This happened on a Thursday. The parents actually looked at me and said Je**s Chr**t, could you at least tell us if he lives or dies tonight as we need day care tomorrow. They took turns harrassing us all weekend stating that they did not have day care and they were inconvenienced on Friday and how dare I not provide in my contract for something like this???

The others could not do enough for us.

In the 28 years as a Day Care provider, I have met all kinds and like I stated most are incredible people but it takes just one to ruin the whole atmosphere.

How dare you say we are spoiled!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:58 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
at the risk of sounding like you.......don't you get it???? These people were scrambling for excuses to get away from you and your wife/husband whoever is now speaking to us all.

I would take up smoking and quite possibly drinking. These people are probably relieved that you "fired" them......wow how important are you....you did these poor people a favor.

I am starting to think that this op is a troll just looking to drum up some trouble.
yes, i am setting the record straight.

i am sorry for your son that he has to deal with this and unfortunately he will grow up like this.
what do you mean by that? Grow up like what?

oh i am sure that you will try to 'quote and post" again but who cares...you have showed yourself so that i don't think anyone will pay any attention to you.
yes i did and so are you.

by the way, day care is not a conspiracy.....time to look in the mirror honey and see what is really wrong.
well 7 experiences in portland, or, vancouver, wa and austin, tx. Maybe your little pocket of the world (stepford maybe) has nothing but perfect people but my experience with daycare sounds more well rounded than yours. Life experience counts--not idealistic bs.
:d

Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
at the risk of sounding like you...
couldn't if ya tried babe

....don't you get it????
yes but i am doubting your intelligence right now.

these people were scrambling for excuses to get away from you and your wife/husband whoever is now speaking to us all.
you must be literate to have written anything at all. But do you comprehend what you read???
i would take up smoking and quite possibly drinking.
sounds like poor impulse control to me. And you watch kids?
these people are probably relieved that you "fired" them.....
you see, there you go. You didn't read it through. Probably skimmed or had someone read it to you???
.wow how important are you...
where my son is concerned, i am the most important. I'm his mother.
you did these poor people a favor.
for once we agree. :d
i am starting to think that this op is a troll just looking to drum up some trouble.
wow, your quick. Yes, i am setting the record straight.

i am sorry for your son that he has to deal with this and unfortunately he will grow up like this.
what do you mean by that? Grow up like what?

oh i am sure that you will try to 'quote and post" again but who cares...you have showed yourself so that i don't think anyone will pay any attention to you.
yes i did and so are you.

by the way, day care is not a conspiracy.....time to look in the mirror honey and see what is really wrong.
well 7 experiences in portland, or, vancouver, wa and austin, tx. Maybe your little pocket of the world (stepford maybe) has nothing but perfect people but my experience with daycare sounds more well rounded than yours. Life experience counts--not idealistic bs.
:d

Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 PM

[quote=crazyworld;5009258]I actually had a parent whom the other parents dubbed "The Valley Girl" she would flick her hair at them and talk to them as though they were so beneath her. They would speak to her and she would sigh and if any of them mentioned their own children around her she would roll her eyes.
That sounds annoying. That would be irritating.
I was told to "lose" her work number as she didn't want to be disturbed and to call her husband and get him out of work in an emergency although she worked down the street.
Then she had her second child...this poor baby screamed (high pitch I might add) because I was NOT to DARE feed him before or after 10:00AM and 2:00PM. This poor baby was starving all the time and when 10:00 and 2:00 rolled around the poor thing gulped it so fast and so hard that he was in pain for the next 3 hours. So sad. She was on maternity leave for three months and sent both her children..the baby just 5 weeks again don't call me I'm tired. They are no longer here.
I am sure all daycares have similar experiences. Sincerely, I am sorry for you. One of the meanest ladies I've ever met worked for the airlines in customer service. Apparently she'd bottle up her anger then come and unleash it on others.
I now have a mother who runs around checking all the other babies thighs to see if her child's thighs are normal....they are. The baby is 7 months old and the Mom feels that this baby is too fat. She just made it to 17 pounds.

I also had another parent who swore that there was something wrong with her child and was always looking for something. When I was away on vacation, she badgered her Dr's office to put her child through MRI's and Bone Scans. There was nothing wrong. Healthy beautiful child who will grow up to be a hypocondriac.

A few year's back my brother was killed in a tragic work accident. I was working at the time and when I got the first call that there was an accident and he was being worked on but it didn't look good, I collapsed. It was around pick-up time and mostly everyone was wonderful. This happened on a Thursday. The parents actually looked at me and said Je**s Chr**t, could you at least tell us if he lives or dies tonight as we need day care tomorrow. They took turns harrassing us all weekend stating that they did not have day care and they were inconvenienced on Friday and how dare I not provide in my contract for something like this???

The others could not do enough for us.
I gather you think I am in the "Drama Parent" category. In the stories you've mentioned I would be one of the ones sending you flowers for your brother. When daycare worker #7 had to be hospitalized my son and I visited her in the hospital, brought her flowers and a present. Not once did she hear from me about what a struggle I had filling her spot. She didn't need that. And if you read that long post I wrote, my husband forbid me to argue too strongly because and angry, vindictive person is NOT someone you would want around your child. No the childcare providers "steam rolled" me.
In the 28 years as a Day Care provider, I have met all kinds and like I stated most are incredible people but it takes just one to ruin the whole atmosphere.
Try the amount I have.
How dare you say we are spoiled!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I've never met you. You haven't deliniated any of your policies, hours, rates. You sound like you like kids (as long as they are quiet).

In any case, everyone is entitled to their opinion--thats why they ARE opinions and not facts.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
Oh my favorite subject...
Are you a Troller?.....
Been working with kids for over 22 years. I babysit 1 child in my home and a second one will be starting in October..
Wow, 2 kids at once (in 2 months). Way to multitask.
Some of you mothers think that we are out to "get you". Wrong. How do you think it feels to us very qualified, with excellent references, child care workers when you only want to pay 2 bucks an hour?
Well if we paid you minimum wage, add in the gas to and from your house...we might as well watch them ourselves.
Seriously, would you work for that? That's just a slap in the face.
We aren't naive. You are supposed to make up for it in "bulk" (excuse my expression but that the term I've heard used).
I do this for a living. We take care of you children longer then you do. Ever think of that?
Oh yes. I assure you we bitterly think of it--often.
I fight my battles. I'm not going to subject myself to piddly pay when your child is going to get excellent, loving care.
You sound mean and not very loving. I wouldn't want little children around you.
I also teach your child. I don't just sit on my butt eating bon bons. Think about about it. Most days it's 8-10 hours a day. Let's say you have a newborn, whom require much care. Damn straight, I'm charging 35-40 dollars a day.
So someone making, say, $8 hr would pay you $40 to take home after taxes and gas about $16?? How does this make you beneficent? Watch your language please. You talk this way around kids?
This is what I do for a living, not just "something to do". When a child reaches 4, I'll more then likely lower your rate. I don't fight for money anymore. You don't want to pay it, then go to the other home that only charges a dollar an hour. Keep in mind cheaper isn't always better. Ask the mom I have now. She learned real quick.
There you are with the anger and rage.
Another thing. Most people know ahead of time(before even getting pregnant)that they will need childcare.
Not all pregnancies are planned.
If you can't afford it, don't have kids.
I dont believe in abortion.
Times have changed. Gas isn't a dollar a gallon, milk isn't 75 cents. House payments aren't 200 bucks a month. Just like you parents, us caregivers have to support our families as well. We live paycheck to paycheck some months.
maybe you should watch more than the one? Or not at all, sounds like you are being worked to death with just one.
Spoiled, not even close.

Coulda fooled me.
Amen Claire F

Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
So only the affluent should have kids? You sound like an elitist (sorry, that means you favor rich people).
No I'm not an elitist. I'm not even close to the traditional definition of finacially wealthy.

But don't you think it's a crumby thing to do to bring a child into the world if the parents can barely afford the basic life necessities?

It makes my brain hurt every time I see a broke a$$ family on TV with like 8 kids complaining about how life delt them a bad hand. Stuff happens...and people go through tough times to get through it. But to live in poverty and all the while popping out kids left and right is just stupid stupid stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
And you, like many others, have missed the whole point of this thread. Perhaps you should troll another forum and let us grownups converse? You life sucks? Have you concidered therapy?
LMAO Thanks for that bit of amusement. Can you google a good therapist for me? I'm feeling a little bi-polar at the moment.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:27 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Good Morning all,

I'm up too early and went to see what was happening and in this post, and couldn't believe my eyes

First, to clarify, a troll is someone who comes onto a forum, is quite new, and posts just to cause arguements, or just to see their side, who won't see reason in another view....as many can see, most of the people posting are not new as they have many rep points.

I too received rep points for my post, but I am too old (36) and too mature to throw it in someone's face like a child who received the new Bratz doll and her friend didn't.

Unfortunately, and I am speaking to the OP, you remind me of someone I have heard about. I have a friend who has a brother that lives right next door. The brother has three children. Two of them are boys: 1 is in first grade and 1 is in high school. Both of them have been suspended for fighting, spitting and other things. The first grader has been EXPELLED from two schools. The kid is only 7 or 8!!!! His father took him out of yet a different first grade- that is 3 schools this little kid has experience! Why is he so old in first grade? He has been retained. The high school kid has been expelled out of 3 schools, and the father took him out of another. He has been retained too. The father blames EACH AND EVERY case of being expelled for each boy on the teachers and principals. The reason the father took each of the boys out of one school is because they were at the point of being expelled and he "withdrew" them before that would happen....but he said that he had to take them out because of....guess who.......the teachers and principals who didn't like his poor son(s), picked on him(them) and made up lies.

My point in comparing the OP with this parent is only this: denial. Obviously this parent is in denial that academically, things are a little sour (all three of his children- there is a daughter, have been retained). Obviously, this parent is in denial that his two children had severe behavior problems (of course I know more about the problems but haven't listed them), and blames it on everyone else but....guess who....his own two children, and his upbringing.

Now I'm hoping the OP is thinking outside the box on this post- I am not saying anything about his parenting, or raising children. That is NOT the comparision I am speaking of. I am only speaking of the denial. It's everyone else's problem and fault except for the reality it should be...which is the person who's having these problems to begin with.

Having read through these pages, I can tell by a landslide that the majority is against the OP. I don't mean to use the word "against", but they disagree with the OP. And I am only talking about a first time post, not posters that made many posts. The majority upon the majority disagrees with the OP...yet the OP won't see another view.

I made a post 6 pages back...and I think it was the only post that didn't get a response from the OP. I was quite curious as to why, so I am going to re-post it below. Have a good day all.

I do hate how many adults in this world do not take the responsibility upon their own shoulders. All in all, in the end, it is the parents' responsibility to find what works (no, I am not a daycare provider). You chose to have a child or children...you chose your "career" or job....it is up to you to find something that works. And if you can't...if there aren't 24/7 or late hours daycares for you and your situation....then you need to take care of your business and either change jobs, hire a more expensive nanny, move to a place where they have what you need....you need to make it work for you instead of useless complaining. Overall, it is your responsibility to take care of you and yours and your children, managing your job with your children.....unforunately, in this world, we each have to look out for ourselves and our family, and that's not selfish. That's what we live for. I don't live for you. If operating a 24/7 or late night daycare will not fit my lifestyle due to my own responsibilities at home, my husband, my own children....then I will not have it. I won't even think twice about how it will benefit someone else....because I don't live for someone else. I live for what's best for my own family.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:42 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Each family needs to do what is best for them at that particular time. And, without blaming anyone else.

I have done a variety of work-notwork situations over the years. I have been a full-time worker with baby in daycare, part-time worker with kids with family sitter, SAHM who babysat occasionally, now back to full-time work with youngest child about to start K and finish daycare.

Look, you have to make the best of whatever your situation is. To the poster (the OP?) whose kid has been in all those daycares-I have to wonder if you chose wisely. I never had so many negative experiences, actually, very few. Did you consider a daycare center, since continuity of care was an issue for you?

I also don't understand the whining about how having a kid has hurt your career. I quit my very good job when kid #3 was born-and went back about three years ago. So, I missed out on 7 years senority, but so what? I don't regret it for a minute. I did what I had to do for my family. It wasn't a 'daycare lady's' fault that I needed to stop work. There are times in a mom's life when a standard 9-5 job doesn't work for them.

Also, my 'daycare lady' has a contract and rules. She's a smart businesswoman! I consider her a professional and treat her as such. I have never had any of the problems that the OP had. She has some paid holidays and a set vacation-just like I do at my job. If the OP wants 24/7 daycare, perhaps she should open her own daycare-if there is a demand, she'd probably do well. But whining about it won't do anything. If you have to work opposite hours from dh, just do it and don't whine about it. Do what you gotta do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting