Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 02:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

"I just pray dear Lord, put your arms around Jodie."

Breitbart.tv » College Professor’s Baby Dies in Hot Car While She Teaches Class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
Here's a link to a text article for those who don't want to watch a video.

Public Memorial Today for Baby Who Died in Van - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

The mother is a professor in the counseling department at Cincinnati Christian University.

How on earth do you forget that your baby is in the car when you are the one who put it in there?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 AM

20 posts, read 79,648 times
I don't understand some people. I couldn't leave mice in a box for my snakes in a hot car. I would feel too bad.

But your own baby?

1.) Leaving baby in a hot car = BAD.
2.) Leaving baby in a car by themselves = BAD.
3.) Leaving baby in a hot car by themselves because you can't put them with a sitter or in a daycare?!

Poor thing.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
I don't understand it either. I mean, I have forgotten about things cooking in my crockpot before. But a baby?

I cannot believe that in the video, everyone was feeling so bad for her. Hmmm. It didn't seem like anyone was mad. I would be mad. Not that I would want to see her go to jail, necessarily, but I would be upset that she did that. I would want answers from her. Maybe they already heard them and due to the religious aspect, they are looking more for forgiveness than punishment.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:41 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I don't understand it either. I mean, I have forgotten about things cooking in my crockpot before. But a baby?

I cannot believe that in the video, everyone was feeling so bad for her. Hmmm. It didn't seem like anyone was mad. I would be mad. Not that I would want to see her go to jail, necessarily, but I would be upset that she did that. I would want answers from her. Maybe they already heard them and due to the religious aspect, they are looking more for forgiveness than punishment.
Your acting like she intentionally left her kid in the car...If it was truely a mistake, I would hope the people closest to her are offering comfort and support and not getting mad at her...Don't you think she has to enough guilt to live with? This is a cut and dry action...Either people do it on purpose to kill thier kids or they truely forget...It is not like she was teaching a class knowing her kid was in the car hoping for the best. Tetering on the idea of her kid cooking to death in her car as she teaches her class...

I have 2 kids and everytime I hear a story like this I feel so badly for the mother...I just can not fathom the guilt she has to live with. *if* it is truely a mistake...not like the story where the mom went to get her nails done,,,knowing her kid was in the care,,,and came back to a dead kid...Those people should rot in jail...But the good moms who make a fatal MISTAKE, I feel awful for them...

Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Your acting like she intentionally left her kid in the car...If it was truely a mistake, I would hope the people closest to her are offering comfort and support and not getting mad at her...Don't you think she has to enough guilt to live with? This is a cut and dry action...Either people do it on purpose to kill thier kids or they truely forget...It is not like she was teaching a class knowing her kid was in the car hoping for the best. Tetering on the idea of her kid cooking to death in her car as she teaches her class...

I have 2 kids and everytime I hear a story like this I feel so badly for the mother...I just can not fathom the guilt she has to live with. *if* it is truely a mistake...not like the story where the mom went to get her nails done,,,knowing her kid was in the care,,,and came back to a dead kid...Those people should rot in jail...But the good moms who make a fatal MISTAKE, I feel awful for them...
yes, that. The article states that she usually made only one stop for daycare, but that day she was supposed to make two. As a mother of 2 young children, I certainly can relate to being flummoxed when a routine is disrupted. We are always tired, and sometimes days go on autopilot. Not that I can imagine myself forgetting my child in a car. I can't. But I don't think this woman could either.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 79,648 times
Some mistakes are true stupidity though.
Think about it. She had her baby in the car.
She knew it was in there while she was driving.
She got out of the car, KNOWING she was going to teach a class.

Therefore, she had to have known her baby was in the car.

The mistake I don't think she realized was not that she forgot her baby in the car, but that babies suffer more trauma and everything than adults do. An adult could live, uncomfortable, while being in a hot car for say an hour. An infant can not.

I don't think she thought about that.

But I do think she intentionally left her child in there.

If not, she does not need anymore kids. If you forget your baby is in the car while you are as well, I don't even know if you should be driving.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post

Umm. ok. I am pretty sure that I gave a couple sides there, but whatever.

I highly doubt anyone would admit to intentionally forgetting their child. It is still her responsibility as a parent. I do feel bad for her guilt. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. And the big word is still, as you say, *if*.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,896 times
But, everyone on the video is sad and sympathetic...They all claim that she is a fantastic mom...Not a single person is raising an eyebrow at this woman...I think that speaks volumes...

I feel badly for her...I have 2 small kids. I have been so tired where I have dazed off at the wheel and hit the curb with my 2 kids in the back seat...But I had to get them to that doctors appt... I can relate to being an overly exhausted new mom with a severe jolt in her schedule...We all sit here and judge her like she is some criminal with a plan to leave her kid in the car to bake... She was a prof. at a Christian College for crying out loud...and all of her friends, family and colleges are devestated... No need to make her feel worse then what she probably does...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times
Sigh...... What to say to this horrible tragedy?.....

When you are a stay at home mom, with kids with you ALL THE TIME, it seems, for me at least that you could not possibly forget your kids in the car. They are practically attached to you at the hip. For me, they are, or were until recently, NEVER not with me, therefore it would be impossible to forget them. I throw the car in park while cramming down the emergency brake, then reach up to open the automatic door to the backseat of the minivan with my right hand while unlocking my seatbelt with my left. It comes as naturally as blinking an eye. Therefore I could never forget. Sometimes, now, though, I do leave my daughter with my uncle to watch her while I run errands. And it has happened, that, all of a sudden, I look back and she's not there and i momentarily PANIC, WHERE DID I LEAVE HER? and then i realize she is home safe.

When i only had one child, and he stayed at daycare all day, i frequently did errands without him. in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out of the car without him, and not a second thought about him, because he was not with me.

So if someone actually forgets that their child is not with them, it is easy to imagine them getting out of the car without a second thought, it is something that they do countless times.

And I cannot blame someone for forgetting. I am only 33 and forget more than a senile elderly person. And i mean forget, like GONE from my memory.

It is sad that our lives our so complicated that we have so many thoughts swirling about in our heads that we don't even know what we are doing anymore. How many of you have driven somewhere, only to find yourselves going somewhere else completely, and you wake up as if in a daze and say to yourself, what the hell am i doing? this isn't the right way!

Should she be prosecuted? There needs to be more investigation into the case. How was she during the day? Behavior in the class, etc. Was this a problem child? (doesn't make sense to kill only one, lends to her credibility, although who could get away with two?) Any motive?

What disturbs me is the 911 call. It bothers me because I cannot imagine myself being that composed. There is no way I could make it to a phone. So that bothers me, I don't know how she did it. Too calm. Listen to it if you haven't, it is very troublesome.

If it was a genuine accident she should not be prosecuted. She will already be in a living hell as it is and it would only harm her other child.

We need to look at how to prevent this in the future. It happens to frequently. The stress level of people just has to come down, we need to slow down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting