Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times

Advertisements

Dont Vaccinate! Before You Educate By Dr. Mayor Eisenstein

Homefirst Health Services - Home

He is personally anti-vaccine but the book is for anyone who just wants to know what maybe they couldn't find on their own or what the doctor himself doesn't know or won't tell you.

I made a very informed decision after reading this book. I'm not anti-vaccine or trying to start a debate. So please no contenders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The Strong Willed Child by Dr. Dobson

Not necessarily a fan of some of his reasonings, but there is some spot on advice for those who have strong willed children or just want to learn how to handle certain issues with your child that require a lot of "will".
I also liked The Strong Willed Child by Dobson (hint: according to Dr. Dobson, they're ALL strong-willed! )and Dare to Discipline by Dobson. I also liked a book by Josh McDowell entitled How to be a Hero to Your Kids.

It's been awhile since I have parented a young child. So these books have been around awhile, but I know they should still be available on Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more if not in the bookstores.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times
"Toddler Taming" by Dr.Christopher Green

"Raising Boys" By Steve Biddulph

and the series by Ross Campbell:

"How to really know your child"
"How to really love your child"
"How to really love your teenager"

Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I also liked The Strong Willed Child by Dobson (hint: according to Dr. Dobson, they're ALL strong-willed! )and Dare to Discipline by Dobson.
And what I appreciate in his book is that he does conclude to that but that is a GOOD thing. He makes parents aware that toddlers are not little china dolls who don't make a peep & smile on demand. That a strong will is an amazing quality that if handled the proper way can lead to a very happy & positive life for one's child,

In today's society & in traditional school, strong-willed children have a negative connotation; especially strong-willed boys. They are many times labeled as being bad or hyper. The good qualities are overlooked b/c they do not sit still & color between the lines. His book, written years ago, focuses on this & letting parents know that their children are ok, good kids who have amazing personalities that just need some positive direction (what child doesn't, though?)

Dare to Discipline has was written in the 70s but Dr. Dobson updated it in the early 90s. I like that book, also.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

Little House on the Prarie.

No, they are not classic 'parenting' books, but there's a lot of good info there.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:39 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The Strong Willed Child by Dr. Dobson
Not necessarily a fan of some of his reasonings....
I completely agree with you; I really enjoyed this book, although there are some views of Dobson's that I question. Another one I got a lot out of is (for parents of pre-teen or teenage girls): Don't Stop Loving Me by Ann F. Caron, Ed.D.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:08 AM

24 posts, read 12,769 times
Parenthood is possibly the best wish that a mother and father will hope to come true. For parenting book, I would like to recommend Toddler Discipline for Every Age and Stage book. It is one of the best parenting book. It is filled with helpful suggestions for constantly changing toddlers at different ages and stages. This book is easy to read and gives concise information that perfectly suits on your kids.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:20 AM

236 posts, read 556,285 times
The Conscious Parent by Shefali Tsabary!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
It’s out of print but I’m sure you can find it.

Taming the Dragon In Your Child

It’s a great resource and helped me a ton to teach my little ones right from wrong. It’s good to educate yourself before any problems arise.

Way to be proactive!

Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 AM

6,303 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Parent Effectiveness Training was very usefu when raising my children and was neither permissive nor authoritarian but practical. I am rereading it to help with granddaughters current toddler tantrums and find it still relevent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pare...eness_Training
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting