Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times

Advertisements

I was so frustrated last night. My son waited until 2 nights before an assignment he was given a week to work on to even start, and then he sat at the computer and - I didn't realize this at the time -typed like 2 sentences in 2 hours. (OK, he did also do an outline and headings and a table of contents. Everything except the actual content, you know?) Then immediately after school yesterday I had him get back to it - no break -- and when I came over to take a look at 4:00, he had typed maybe one more sentence. His argument - he's not good at typing and I should help him. I told him no one's that slow and its his homework - I'm not bailing him out. THe he told me he was going slow because he has all these complicated ideas in his mind and he can't get them out because they're sooo complicated. My poor delicate genius! Long story short, he was supposed to go to a holiday party, and while he did get to go for a short while because of a group thing he was needed for, he then had to leave the party before the good part and come home and finish his project. Didn't finish until 9:30. HE was crying his eyes out about missingthe party - I don't think he believed I'd do it to him. It killed to to be that mean to him, but there is no way I was going to rescue him. Aaarrgghh. Just wanted to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Good job, mama... real life consequences. Fifth grade is old enough to have some consequences for not planning ahead. I know it's probably tougher on you than it is on him, though!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:28 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Sounds like you did the right thing. Next time he says he says the same thing, have him write the complicated ideas down on paper. It will hopefully do one of two things. It will clarify his ideas so he doesn't have to remember every detail, so he can then transfer it to the computer. Or he'll realize he likes writing them down worse and will type them up, accomplishing the same thing.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
you did the right thing, but sometimes it is difficult for kids to sit at a computer and focus (unless he is familiar with a computer). if he is computer savy then he was probably just procastinating. but there might be other issues. sometimes you have to sit down and talk them thru it.

let this serve as a learning example for him.

make sure to remind him of what he sacrificed because of his procrastination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
I was so frustrated last night. My son waited until 2 nights before an assignment he was given a week to work on to even start, and then he sat at the computer and - I didn't realize this at the time -typed like 2 sentences in 2 hours. (OK, he did also do an outline and headings and a table of contents. Everything except the actual content, you know?) Then immediately after school yesterday I had him get back to it - no break -- and when I came over to take a look at 4:00, he had typed maybe one more sentence. His argument - he's not good at typing and I should help him. I told him no one's that slow and its his homework - I'm not bailing him out. THe he told me he was going slow because he has all these complicated ideas in his mind and he can't get them out because they're sooo complicated. My poor delicate genius! Long story short, he was supposed to go to a holiday party, and while he did get to go for a short while because of a group thing he was needed for, he then had to leave the party before the good part and come home and finish his project. Didn't finish until 9:30. HE was crying his eyes out about missingthe party - I don't think he believed I'd do it to him. It killed to to be that mean to him, but there is no way I was going to rescue him. Aaarrgghh. Just wanted to vent.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:04 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
ya snooze ya lose....maybe he will hop to it next time. Stand tall and tough mom They have to learn the consequences

Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Ya done good! Better he find this out now than in HS when the stakes arer higher!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:34 PM

135 posts, read 513,044 times
I've been having similar issues with MY fifth grader, so I can definitely relate. Last Friday he told me he had a "little bit of research" to do. Come 6pm Sunday evening, he sits down to do said research & it turns out to be a full blown poster project. It took him over 4 hours to complete, I was so mad. THEN, he comes home from school on Monday, I notice the poster still in his backpack & ask about it. "Oh, I didn't know, it's not due until Thursday."

I do think as parents we need to help guide them, but you're definitely doing the right thing by not just completely the work for him. Maybe a little assistance with finding methods that work for him though. My son loves to read, but doesn't care for writing so much. When it came time to write summaries, stories, etc., he would take FOREVER. Once I sat down with him & talked about it, we figured out things to help him organize his thoughts & make getting the work done easier & faster.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
One night number 1 you should have clapped him upside the head and told him to sit there until the assignment was done.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM

134 posts, read 590,543 times
kids got to learn on their own that they have to do their own homework and be respondable for their own actions

Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnzFam View Post
I've been having similar issues with MY fifth grader, so I can definitely relate. Last Friday he told me he had a "little bit of research" to do. Come 6pm Sunday evening, he sits down to do said research & it turns out to be a full blown poster project. It took him over 4 hours to complete, I was so mad. THEN, he comes home from school on Monday, I notice the poster still in his backpack & ask about it. "Oh, I didn't know, it's not due until Thursday."

I do think as parents we need to help guide them, but you're definitely doing the right thing by not just completely the work for him. Maybe a little assistance with finding methods that work for him though. My son loves to read, but doesn't care for writing so much. When it came time to write summaries, stories, etc., he would take FOREVER. Once I sat down with him & talked about it, we figured out things to help him organize his thoughts & make getting the work done easier & faster.
While I agree to help guide a child through homework or a project.....I say her son missed the "guidance time line" by not working on the project from the time he got it, and waiting until the last minute. By doing so, you lose any of my help and assistance. She did the right thing, but I think I might have done like another poster said, and made sure he got it done that first night you found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting