Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

A decade or so ago, there was apparently an article in the news asking if you would give up your TV for a month for a million dollars.. I was in a convenience store while driving through Mississippi, and overheard a conversation in which a woman was pondering the question, and expressed doubts that she could do it. Might be a good topic for a Survivor show. Put people in a luxury hotel on an island without TV, and see which one survives the ordeal through a full season of taping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:48 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Yup, the concept was foreign to me until recently. Hard to imagine. I am listening to the radio and my son just walked by and said, "Hey mom, this is just like the olden times, listening to the radio." My DD is online seeing if she can find any episodes of DeGrassi High.

My mom lives close by, so we can always walk down the street for our fix! She watches cable news all day and night. When we visit, the same reports are repeated five or six times- it's like hurricane coverage here in FL only with gunfire or missing children. The same thing, over and over and over. I think that helped me to kick my home viewing habit. Aversion therapy! The kids can go into her bedroom to see their shows, though.

Our newpaper here is delivered so late that I ended up cancelling my subscription. Now I log on each morning to read it. Hmmm......maybe I can watch Cash Cab online. That's such an upbeat game show. Even the losers are winners.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
My DD is online seeing if she can find any episodes of DeGrassi High.
Yes, you can get Degrassi online. You can watch it streaming on the-N.com. Yes, I'm a grown adult who watches this show...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yes, you can get Degrassi online. You can watch it streaming on the-N.com. Yes, I'm a grown adult who watches this show...
I watched the original growing up. I loved it! It was actually a very good show, groundbreaking with the themes it dealt with for teens at that time. I've watched the new one with my niece who's in high school. I was glad to see it's still pretty good and tackles some hard subject matter, and even has some of the original characters who are parents of the new kids now, a real treat for us old school Degrassi fans!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
My favorite distraction is the computer not the TV. Want to accomplish something? Turn off the TV/computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting