Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times

Advertisements

My child recently received a letter from the People to People Student Ambassador Programs.
It states that he was chosen (due to academic excellence) to be part of a study abroad program.
When I called to get some more info, I was told that he was probably nominated by someone, like one of his teachers, to be part of this program.
Has anyone had any experience w/this group? Good or bad?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
If this is only your first letter be prepared. You're gonna get tons more from similar programs.

Is your child in high school? I don't know what the criteria is but it is basically a mass mailing. Sounds great if you can afford it. But it went in our circular file.

Just recently one mom told me she saved all the letters & used them on her child's resume for the colleges. I would hope the colleges weren't too impressed.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
I remember receiving one of those as well, when I was in 7th or 8th grade, and we went to the meeting. I know that it was expensive, and that my parents could not afford to send me. I believe that year the country was Russia.

Most of the people at the meeting were kids that were in the higher reading and math groups, so there probably is some sort of grading or academic criteria.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Yes they are legit, to a point. It is basically an overpriced travel agent that plays on parent emotions that their child was "nominated" for this wonderful experience, to the tune of $3000-7000/kid for a trip that isn't well supervised and you can't go with your child--only they won't tell you the price until you sign up.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes they are legit, to a point. It is basically an overpriced travel agent that plays on parent emotions that their child was "nominated" for this wonderful experience, to the tune of $3000-7000/kid for a trip that isn't well supervised and you can't go with your child--only they won't tell you the price until you sign up.
Ditto that!

I know kids who went and had a great experience. Mine didn't go though, as I thought it was overpriced.

I think everyone in the top 25% of the class got bestowed the 'honor' of this 'opportunity'!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
As long as the invitation didn't arrive by owl, it's probably legitimate. <g>

Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times
Default My son rec. it for Sports

I am so glad this question was posted here. My son received one for the Sports Ambassador Program. I had no idea what it was. The country was Austria and they were invited to swim and train with an Olympic Swimmer. I didn't recognize the name.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 AM

181 posts, read 906,027 times
Go to the information session. The cost is very clearly spelled out as are the supervision criteria. The supervision varies by age group, but at least here in CT all are licensed teachers (so at least have training with groups of kids and criminal background checks). In our area there were regular meetings prior to the trip to study the culture, language, history, money systems etc as well as to learn prior travel etiquette and the fact that they will be representing their home country. Some trips provide for a brief homestay with a host family.

It is not cheap (cost varies based on length of program and destination, as well as how far you are from a major international airport). We found there were opportunities not available to the average traveler i.e. meetings with representative of parliament, the above mentioned homestay, and meetings with children of their age group in a different culture. They learned how to travel, use foreign money, and survive without mom and dad, cope with differing personalities, and even try out a few foreign language skills. If the economy wasn't so bad, I would let my daughter go again.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
My child recently received a letter from the People to People Student Ambassador Programs.
It states that he was chosen (due to academic excellence) to be part of a study abroad program.
When I called to get some more info, I was told that he was probably nominated by someone, like one of his teachers, to be part of this program.
Has anyone had any experience w/this group? Good or bad?
TIA
This is exactly like "Who's Who Among American High School Students" - whose real aim is to sell $70 books to people they include in the books.

People to People is an old organization, but they aren't still operating by paying everyone's expenses. They make money by doing this.

It's not that this is necessarily bad. But it sure isn't the honor and privilege that they're trying to make it look like it is. They play on people's pride and naivety.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
I am so glad this question was posted here. My son received one for the Sports Ambassador Program. I had no idea what it was. The country was Austria and they were invited to swim and train with an Olympic Swimmer. I didn't recognize the name.
This is exactly as GolfGal said. It's basically an over-priced travel agency that plays on the pride and naivety of parents.

They make it look like it's some incredible honor that your child, and only a few others, were selected for. But the bottom line is that these organizations are making big money on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting