Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:45 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,725 times

Advertisements

I just asked my 21 year old daughter if she had heard of snorting Smarties. No, she hadn't, but she said the boys in school would fill their pencil lead cases (for mechanical pencils) with hand sanitizer and sniff that, which caused a ban on hand sanitizer on teacher's desks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks715 View Post
Ok, my 11 year old daughter told me today that "kids" from her school snort smarties and wanted to know if I ever snorted smarties. First, I had no idea what the heck she was talking about. Of course I googled it and found tons of videos on youtube (how to videos).

My husband and I spoke with her and she admitted she was curious. My husband and I want to lock her in a room until she is 50 but that is not realistic.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Apparently kids snort/smoke kool aid, fun dip, and other powdered substances.

This is the cool thing to do now?!

Hell that was what you did when you LOST a dare when I was younger, lol! Only, it was Pixie Sticks, and not crushed up smarties.

I would be concerned about how this fad got started. A child (depending on the age) just doesn't come up with the idea to crush candy (like some people do pills) and snort them. I mean I know how we thought up snorting Pixie sticks, one of us accidently got some up our nose and it BURNED, so it was added in the dare slot.

I would make an offhanded annon call to the school and see what they can do, if nothing else to let them know what's up.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,193 times
I advise you to fill a half a liter bottle with comet dust & tell her to sniff hard and squeze the bottle..yea shell cough... I'd even buy her a cigar make her inhale the smoke. After all this, and she's buzzed and high put the smarties in front of her. I guarantee you that shell NEVER do any drugs again.
-experienced parent

Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
ive heard of people doing it like way back when, but ive never actually seen anyone do it, kinda odd in my opinion, just for the simple fact that out of experience anything that has floated its way into my nose burned like hell, even if it just touched the edge of the inside

Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
ok... ouch!i suspect one time would make anyone with a brain realize ...not a good thing. the kid tells you it hurts. ...I'm good I can accept his experience and not need to try it ( not that I would) Teach them analysis of situations....

Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM

50 posts, read 88,905 times
Snorting smarties. I'm going to be honest I'm 17 years old and people still do dumb stuff like that. They're just acting like druggies. I have never seen anyone die or get an infection from inhaling "smarties." All it does it burn like hell. It's them acting out what they see on T.V. (Law and Order/ Scarface) Didn't you act out movies when you were a kid? (You be Jasmin, He's alladin and I'm the genie etc?)

Some kid just saw a movie or a show with a druggie snorting a white powder. Maybe the kid knew what cocaine is or he didn't. But smarties are white and can be crushed up...so instant prop for a movie scene. IS it stupid? Yes. Is it POTENTIALLY harmful...probably. Will your kid become a druggie and drop out of high school and become a mother at 16? If so it's not because of smarties.

I feel as though this is blown out of proportion. Of course I'm from a small town in Kansas...not really a whole lot to do here but drinking and shooting. :/

I would have touched on the "It's a DARE as well but it was already covered."

Last edited by Brwright; 03-15-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I clearly remember snorting pixie sticks to be big when I was in junior high. I recall it being like a "dare" thing. One our 8th grade trip to Springfield, we had 20 bucks on the person who could snort the most.

I remember a kid puking for hours.

It's obviously BAD for your health, but definitely not unheard of
Oh, yeah. I remember it, too, which means this isn't a new trick. At the time, all I could think was that it would hurt like @#&^*#$, so I wasn't tempted to try it myself.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Yeah when I was in elemntary school kids snorted pixie sticks. I have no clue why and I never did it. Really dumb pointless and (I would think) embarassingly silly.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
This is nothing new

Heck, I'll even admit I did this and other stuff like it as a youngin'

Mainly just dumb boy stuff ..... i was really good in school and really bored - mainly would just sit around quietly, but had (and still have) an offbeat sense of humor and found this (and other things) to be funny

I was smart enough to never really take anything like that into my sinuses (at least not more than once - it kind of burns) ...... we would also use it as a punishment for someone who came out on the wrong end of a bet

My wife teaches 7th graders and I talk about some of the stuff I did when I was around that age (keeping in mind that I was a "good kid with good grades who didn't make trouble") and she's pretty confident I'd be suspended now

I liked to get a rise out of people - liked to get a reaction - i would be over the top in challenging boundaries and would use words not in a vulgar way, but in a way that would press the line

basically excercising my expanding freedoms in any way that I could - even if it was stupid and ridiculous

it was a stage that I eventually grew out of

not everything is a cry for help, a precursor to drug use or the first step down a slippery slope

IMO, you handled this very poorly - by freaking out over something that does nothing except iritate your sinuses (infection isn't likely and I doubt you could readily choke on anything that fits through your nasal cavity) you are breaking down some of the bonds of trust

IMO, the better response would of been to dismiss it as a pretty juvenille activity, explain that it can't feel good and that at that age some kids are just bored and looking for attention ..... don't let them suck you into their environment, be happy with yourself and your performance in your own sphere .... i trust that you wouldn't do something like that

Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks715 View Post
Ok, my 11 year old daughter told me today that "kids" from her school snort smarties and wanted to know if I ever snorted smarties. First, I had no idea what the heck she was talking about. Of course I googled it and found tons of videos on youtube (how to videos).

My husband and I spoke with her and she admitted she was curious. My husband and I want to lock her in a room until she is 50 but that is not realistic.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Apparently kids snort/smoke kool aid, fun dip, and other powdered substances.
I thought this was a joke when I first read it.

What a waste of Smarties--but WHY would anyone want to do this????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting