Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:21 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
What if you just DON'T have the money?

But the guy above said that the second one I got was fine?? and that it didn't have an expiration date.

Now I'm even more confused. The one that's still in the box says it has a 5 point harness but the reviews on the website say that it is a lie and it doesn't.

I'm going to pick it up from the P's and call the company and hope that they give me a credit and take back this one. They could still sell it you know?
Many fire dept and WIC offices will provide you with a voucher if you need a car seat and can't afford one. I wouldn't hold my breath about them taking it back. I had to fight with TRU to take a broken car seat back before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
How is sitting criss cross applesauce anymore uncomfortable than sitting with your legs dangling down? If it is safer to be rear-facing and your child fits that way, I don't see a problem?
I would not want to sit with my legs criss crossed, unable to move them around, for any length of time. While having the legs dangling would also get uncomfortable at times, I think legs crossed would certainly get uncomfortable a lot faster.

Frankly, this doesn't concern my daughter any longer. She is four years old and sits forward facing.

Quote:
As for booster seaqts, the point of them is too "boost" them up so the seat belt hits the points of their bodies that will cause the least amount of damage in a crash. This usually cannot be reached in a seat belt alone until over 4 ft. 9in. I hope that answers your question.
This absolutely does not answer my question.

You say it is to boost them up, basically it's only purpose from what I can see is to help position the belt across the shoulders.

My question is, and if you are not aware of this because your children are still in the Britax car seats, your husband must be, is that the standard, no back, booster seat comes with a strap that can be attached to the back of the booster, goes up alongside the childs back, to the shoulder, and attaches to the seat belt at the shoulder (you adjust the length of this strap accordingly), and it's purpose is to ensure that the seat belt crosses the child's body at the shoulder, not across the neck.

My question, specifically, is if this "strap", which is adjusted by hand and looks flimsy to me, is effective in positioning the belt when attached to the back of the booster, why can it not be attached at the bottom to the seat belt or some kind of anchor in the car, and then be fed up behind the childs back the same as it currently does, and hold the seat belt at the appropriate height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJHJ View Post
but if it is a backless BPB, then it may come with a strap to help guide the shoulder strap across the child's shoulder instead of across their face or neck.
Again, same question above to you, since you mention the strap you know what I am referring to.

Don't you think that strap is a little flimsy?

And if it's not flimsy, then why can it not be used as I describe above, anchored to the inside of the car rather than the booster seat?

It seems like a good quality strap (much better than the one you currently get that attaches to the booster) could be on the market for cheaper than the booster seat, and would be completely portable, something that you could detach and carry with you from car to car. Of course this would depend on automobile manufacturers as well.

Does the booster seat also help position the seat belt in a particular way across the lap as well, making the booster seat necessary for that as well? Or is the sole purpose of the booster seat to ONLY position the shoulder portion of the seat belt?

And why, if a booster seat has to be used until a child is 9 or 10 years old, is the seat not deeper? Have you ever sat in a chair that only came three quarters of the way to the knee, and your legs were dangling? It is also uncomfortable. If the legs have to be dangling, at least the depth of the seat should reach from the back of the autos seat to the back of the knee of the child. To me the boosters could be better designed for taller children.

Thanks for taking the time to reply on this thread.

Oh, one more question on car seats. Isn't there a recommendation that straps not be put in the dryer (or washer/dryer)?? Something about them shrinking or losing elasticity or something?

Since we are talking about car seats, and people sometimes need to clean them, does anyone know the proper way?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
You say it is to boost them up, basically it's only purpose from what I can see is to help position the belt across the shoulders.
I think it also raises their bodies up so the seat belt goes across their hips instead of their stomachs.

Quote:
My question, specifically, is if this "strap", which is adjusted by hand and looks flimsy to me, is effective in positioning the belt when attached to the back of the booster, why can it not be attached at the bottom to the seat belt or some kind of anchor in the car, and then be fed up behind the childs back the same as it currently does, and hold the seat belt at the appropriate height?
Interesting question. I am also interested in the answer.

Quote:
Oh, one more question on car seats. Isn't there a recommendation that straps not be put in the dryer (or washer/dryer)?? Something about them shrinking or losing elasticity or something?

Since we are talking about car seats, and people sometimes need to clean them, does anyone know the proper way?
I throw the straps in the washing machine on the delicate cycle. Never in the dryer. Now I wonder if I am doing it wrong?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
The booster helps the lap part of the belt to not go on the child's abdomen, but across his or her hips, in addition to making sure that the shoulder belt is positioned properly.

Chcek your owner's manual on washing the straps... the Britax manual says to only spot clean with plain water, and not to submerge. Other manufacturers may have different recommendations. I have heard that you should not wash/dry them in the washing machine/dryer, but I don't really know why.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I think it also raises their bodies up so the seat belt goes across their hips instead of their stomachs.
Maybe that is what it does.

I'll have to compare my son in the booster and just in the seat with the belt on. I am curious about this one......

The portability of just an adjuster strap makes it a very interesting idea to me.....

Old 04-03-2009, 09:29 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
School Age Children Need Booster Seats to Ride Safely

Quote:
Most 40-pound children are not big enough to fit lap and shoulder belts properly. A belt that rides up on the tummy could cause serious injury. The adult lap and shoulder belt normally does not fit a child until they are about 4'9" tall and weigh approximately 80 lbs. Many young children do not sit still enough or straight enough to keep lap belts low across their thighs. Boosters are comfortable for children because they allow their legs to bend normally. This also reduces slouching, one cause of poor lap belt fit.
If the child's knees are not bending over the seat, then they will slouch down to allow them to bend. That will raise the belt onto their stomach, and it can crush organs in a sudden stop or accident.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Chcek your owner's manual on washing the straps... the Britax manual says to only spot clean with plain water, and not to submerge. Other manufacturers may have different recommendations. I have heard that you should not wash/dry them in the washing machine/dryer, but I don't really know why.
I am sure it says to spot clean. But you can not spot clean puke or sour milk. I have always assumed they said that like they have all those overcautious laundry instructions for clothes. Now I am wondering if there is a reason to be concerned about the safety of the straps. Wouldn't they show signs of wear before they failed. Does anyone know the answer to that?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:42 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I've washed my car seats' straps (not Britax brand, I usually use Century or Graco) but I used gentle cycle, with them in a garment bag. Laid flat to dry. I would think that they say 'do not submerge' because if they were not constrainted in a garmet bag, they could probably get stretched out when wet, maybe caught around the machine's wringer? (in a top loader).

For cleaning the covers (if they are not removable), I just use the hose and some soap, outside on a nice day, and let it air dry. If removable, I wash on gentle cycle and air dry.

mommytotwo, I don't understand your question. Are you talking about a booster that is also a carseat with a 5-pt harness that can be removed to use it as a booster, or a seat-only thingy that you use with the car's seat belt.
I think the reason that booster seats aren't deeper is that they would be too big for some vehicle seats. I actually had to return a carseat once because it was so huge, it hung way over my car's seat!

I like the Graco (or Century) high-back boosters. They can be used with the 5-pt harness, or the vehicle's belt. Covers come off easily enough to be cleaned. Seat is light and I can move it around easily.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Wow the level of car seat ignorance astounds me! Don't people read the instructions?
Hey I don't know how old your kids are, but I've been using carseats for 16 years straight! Let me tell you, the instructions vary WILDLY from seat to seat, car to car, and year to year! It's not ignorance, but, CONFUSION. I've said forever, this stuff should be standardized somehow.

The people in this thread are trying to do the best they can, with the conflicting and confusing info that is out there. If they were ignorant, they wouldn't be here would they?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:06 AM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
Quote:
I would not want to sit with my legs criss crossed, unable to move them around, for any length of time. While having the legs dangling would also get uncomfortable at times, I think legs crossed would certainly get uncomfortable a lot faster.

Frankly, this doesn't concern my daughter any longer. She is four years old and sits forward facing.

This absolutely does not answer my question.

My question is, and if you are not aware of this because your children are still in the Britax car seats, your husband must be, is that the standard, no back, booster seat comes with a strap that can be attached to the back of the booster, goes up alongside the childs back, to the shoulder, and attaches to the seat belt at the shoulder (you adjust the length of this strap accordingly), and it's purpose is to ensure that the seat belt crosses the child's body at the shoulder, not across the neck.

My kids are in high back boosters to help protect their necks and heads from whiplash and such. The low back boosters that you are talking about have that strap to make sure the shoulder strap is laying in the right place across the chest. The seat itself "boosts" the child up so that the rest of the seatbelt is hitting the right points of the child's legs/hips. The seat belt shouldn't be across the kid's stomach because it could cause major injury in a crash, and that is where it usually rests without the booster to help postition the seat belt properly. The flimsy little piece isn't attached to the car itself because it is not the main function of the booster seat. Actually my old car had one but it wasn't to be used for children in place of the proper restraint system. Also, if your child is in a low back booster, don't forget that they need to use the head rest of the seat properly too. I see so many kids in a low back booster and nothing protecting their heads. You should make an appointment with a certified tech if you still have questions.

Again, same question above to you, since you mention the strap you know what I am referring to.

Don't you think that strap is a little flimsy?

And if it's not flimsy, then why can it not be used as I describe above, anchored to the inside of the car rather than the booster seat?

It seems like a good quality strap (much better than the one you currently get that attaches to the booster) could be on the market for cheaper than the booster seat, and would be completely portable, something that you could detach and carry with you from car to car. Of course this would depend on automobile manufacturers as well.

Does the booster seat also help position the seat belt in a particular way across the lap as well, making the booster seat necessary for that as well? Or is the sole purpose of the booster seat to ONLY position the shoulder portion of the seat belt?

And why, if a booster seat has to be used until a child is 9 or 10 years old, is the seat not deeper? Have you ever sat in a chair that only came three quarters of the way to the knee, and your legs were dangling? It is also uncomfortable. If the legs have to be dangling, at least the depth of the seat should reach from the back of the autos seat to the back of the knee of the child. To me the boosters could be better designed for taller children.

Thanks for taking the time to reply on this thread.

Oh, one more question on car seats. Isn't there a recommendation that straps not be put in the dryer (or washer/dryer)?? Something about them shrinking or losing elasticity or something? I think you are only supposed to clean them with warm water. Air dry them if you take them off. You should never dry them in the dryer for the reasons you stated.

I hope that helps more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting