Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If you can afford it, buy the second seat. I have family in Sweden. That's a 7 hour flight for me so Australia must be like 14 hours away? You might be lucky and your child might sleep most of the way but I was not that lucky
I got to share my little monster with everybody and one hour before we landed I think everybody on that plane involuntary been introduced to Eeyore ( the donkey from Winnie the phu) .
But that was when he was 2 so if your child is just a couple of months then you might be fine on that end. So just for your own comfort. Get the second seat.
I encourage my kids to wander the plane. I wander the plane too at times. Strike up a conversation with other parents. we have even done some seat swapping so you get a small group of kids playing togther. A small group of happy kids makes much more pleasant noises than a grumpy individual child.

I always try to get seats at the front of economy against the bulkhead where there is room for them to sit and play on the floor.

Also ask what flights are likely to have spare seats. When we have travelled with ones below whatever the free age is, we have never bought seats and usually the seat us next to an empty seat anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
We flew back from China to Florida with my daughter, then just shy of 16 months and only as large as most 9 month-olds...ill and upset.
She remained in my lap. Quite honestly, we could not afford a third seat...it was over a grand, one way. I pushed for it, very concerned about safety but after everything else...
As it turns out, she would not have stayed in a car seat (having never been in one prior to this) or anywhere else but right with me...anyone who has adopted might have an idea of what I'm referring to. The car seat was held for us. There were no bulkhead seats left. We had called ahead as instructed, but it is a first-come, first served transaction. No extra seats anywhere.

It was a VERY long trip.

If your child is already well-adjusted and can tolerate being separated from you, and depending on the circumstances, I highly recommend the third seat. I can not illustrate with words just how long that trip was...even if only for a work space...you will make use of it. Find the money if you can.

I am recalling the 10% - this is what we paid to fly with her - her international voyage was not a free trip. It was termed a "lap fee".

At the time, many airlines were not allowing the new safety harnesses that had just come on the market - but just Googling I see American Airlines does have their own version for toddlers...'about time.

Uhm, just an aside...it isn't usually considered polite to let young ones wander around the plane alone...if you are with them - fine...but on their own...a nightmare. Makes for poor in-flight relations.

Last edited by 33458; 05-09-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Continental

Acceptance of Accompanied Children Under Two Years
Children under the age of two traveling within the 50 U.S. with a parent or with an adult 18 years or older can travel on the adult's lap free of charge. If there are two or more children under the age of two traveling with the same adult, only one of the children may travel as a lap child. Any additional children are required to purchase a seat. Children under the age of two traveling internationally without a seat are required to purchase a ticket and are subject to infant fares and taxes. Regardless of your destination, when making your reservation, you should indicate you are traveling with an infant.

SAS

Will I pay for my infant to travel internationally?
Yes, a child under 2 years old (24 months) is usually charged 10% of an adult fare plus taxes, even if the infant will be on the lap of another passenger for the flight.

KLM

Yes, a child under two years old (24 months) is usually charged a discounted fare plus taxes, even if the infant will be on the lap of another passenger for the flight.

NWA

Yes, a child under 2 years old (24 months) is usually charged 10% of an adult fare plus taxes, even if the infant will be on the lap of another passenger for the flight.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
We are talking international not domestic. My last trip was last year.

As I said before. I been flying to Sweden several times. Also Amsterdam and Germany. No extra ticket, no extra fee.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Continental

Acceptance of Accompanied Children Under Two Years
Children under the age of two traveling within the 50 U.S. with a parent or with an adult 18 years or older can travel on the adult's lap free of charge. If there are two or more children under the age of two traveling with the same adult, only one of the children may travel as a lap child. Any additional children are required to purchase a seat. Children under the age of two traveling internationally without a seat are required to purchase a ticket and are subject to infant fares and taxes. Regardless of your destination, when making your reservation, you should indicate you are traveling with an infant.

SAS

KLM

Yes, a child under two years old (24 months) is usually charged a discounted fare plus taxes, even if the infant will be on the lap of another passenger for the flight.

NWA

Don't know what to tell you. As I said. I have NEVER been charged. So I guess I am not a part of that "usually" category then

Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,242 times
First check with the airline about the fee for infants. Most will charge 10% of the FULL (not discounted) ticket price for international. I've flown all over the world with my son and never have I gotten him on a plane for free - I wish I had! If you are flying to Oz you may end up on Qantas (codeshare with AA) which I'd definitely recommend over United, which I believe is the only other airline flying direct to Oz from the US. Qantas will definitely charge you 10%. I don't know about United.

I've flown numerous times around and between NZ, Oz, Asia and Europe from when my son was 3 months to now (almost 2 years) including a trip from Paris to NZ (approx 30 hours flying + transit time in total). I don't like doing it much but there are ways to make it easier. How easy to flight is will depend a lot on your child's age. I found that up to about 7 months it was a piece of cake. I popped him into the baby bassinet supplied on the bulkhead and he mostly slept. Beyond 6-7 months they won't fit anymore. The younger the baby, the more likely you will be to have a bassinet allocated. I never missed out on one - most big planes have 4 available in economy.

In all my trips I met a lot of other parents with babies and I never saw anyone with a child under 2 with their own seat. It would certainly not have worked for me as I was constantly tending to him/breastfeeding/meals/playing/changing nappies, etc. An empty seat was only useful for storing all the extra stuff you need on the plane! Not worth the extra money.

All airlines supply an infant seat belt, which attaches to your own, for take off, landing and turbulence.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
All airlines supply an infant seat belt, which attaches to your own, for take off, landing and turbulence.
Is that a new thing? We have never seen them on US airlines. Our last flight was last June.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:33 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Is that a new thing? We have never seen them on US airlines. Our last flight was last June.
I don't think so - we've always used one on every airline. I've not flown a US airline with my son before...I guess they don't use them. That seriously surprises me. I just flew long haul on Cathay for instance and they are very strict with infant/toddler belts. As soon as the seatbelt sign goes on they make sure your baby is wearing one.

Maybe the US airlines don't supply them in the hopes you are forced to buy an extra seat for safety reasons?!? I can't think of any other reason.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
When you fly with your infant, do you buy another seat or just hold him/her in your lap? What about on long flights? My family is in Australia (I'm in the US), and we're trying to decide if it's worth it to spring for the extra seat or if we could stand to hold a baby for 14 hours. 14 hours sure is a long time, but $1k+ sure is a lot of moolah to spend on an extra seat.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? How did you cope (read: SURVIVE)?
It's real ****ing easy, just put them in the suit case. You won't have to feed em or deal with them crying or even look at them for at least three hours.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post

Maybe the US airlines don't supply them in the hopes you are forced to buy an extra seat for safety reasons?!? I can't think of any other reason.
Liability reasons & sanitary reasons. The airline can't be sued if something happens to the child based on the bassinet or belt they provided. Forcing a parent to buy a seat requires the parent to take on 100% liability.

Also, they don't have the time nor money to properly clean the seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting