Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,844,347 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be a great idea to get a huge swing set for the backyard, so we did. My husband spend 5 weekends working on it, we got a dump truck of mulch and it looks great. The problem is that my kids don't really spend time on it. I'm so mad I could scream. Will they eventually play on it? Do I have to force them to be on it? My daughter complains that there are too many mosquitos, and there are a bunch, but I feel like a big fool for spending 900 bucks on a swing set. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I thought it would be a great idea to get a huge swing set for the backyard, so we did. My husband spend 5 weekends working on it, we got a dump truck of mulch and it looks great. The problem is that my kids don't really spend time on it. I'm so mad I could scream. Will they eventually play on it? Do I have to force them to be on it? My daughter complains that there are too many mosquitos, and there are a bunch, but I feel like a big fool for spending 900 bucks on a swing set. What would you do?
I'm not sure there is much you can do. Maybe go outside with them and encourage them to "swing higher" etc. I wouldn't take it down, or anything. Maybe invite friends over to play on it. My kids oldest and least used toys get played with when friends come over. It is like seeing them with new eyes, or something.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:31 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,923,805 times
wow sorry to hear that, but what can you do kids are fickle like that! Hopefully they will take more advantage of it in the future!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,871,678 times
First, I'd spray for the mosquitoes - we used to have to treat our whole yard and then also apply OFF when we lived in GA near wetlands.

Can you kick them out of the house and into the yard? I know sometimes my kids get in a rut and play inside and when we make them go outside they usually end up at the swingset.

Where you are it is probably pretty hot out right now and maybe they will use it more come October. I know in GA we did not play outside in the summer except to go to the pool.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,908,673 times
Have you sprayed the backyard for mosquitos? I didn't even realize you could do this until I was discussing my concerns with a realtor in TX.

I'm a "mosquito magnet"... for the 4 1/2 years we lived in FL I couldn't wear scented lotions, use scented soap/shampoo, wear perfume, etc without being eaten ALIVE despite wearing Deep Woods OFF with DEET and using those citronella candles plus those OFF lamps -4 of them on a 10 x 10 deck and they STILL bit me non-stop - but weren't bothering anyone else!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,844,347 times
We bought a thing off cutter that we have yet to apply to the area. It is hot, we live in a cul de sac. In the evenings when it is more shaded, we are usually out in the cul de sac riding our bikes and scooters. By that time, the mosquitos are out in full force in the back yard. I'm hoping they will use it in the fall time, but in the meantime, I'm feeling like a big fool...

Old 06-22-2009, 03:49 PM

16,945 posts, read 16,183,044 times
Depending on how old your kids are, it might help to give them some toys that they can play with in the mulch - like construction type trucks. Once they get used to playing over there, they'll be on the swing set in no time.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,422,145 times
Yeah... I always had the vision of a self-made swing... made of a board hanging on ropes off a strong tree branch. Then we saw a relatively "cheap" swing set at WM for $99. Well, the kids use it 5% of the time. I think, the artificiality of modern "playgrounds" turns anyone off, except for toddlers. Sterile, cleaned up places. Humans abhore that. Just like "plazas", wide-open spaces, are sparsely inhibited. Nooked and crannied spaces like brownstone neighbourhoods, or treed space in rural places, feel more comfy. Jane Jacobs in the Economy of Cities wrote about that.

Anyway, we are moving and will put self-made swings and tires and tire horses on tree branches. The swing set has hooks that will serve well for painting something that needs to be hung-painted.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,726,618 times
What have you done to curb the mosquito problems? Clean your gutters, look for any bit of standing water (tiger mosquitos can breed in a bottle cap), put mosquiot dunks in ponds, etc.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,641,226 times
What ages are your kids? We had a swing set when our kids were about 4 and 5, and they loved it! But, it does seem to be a somewhat quickly outgrown thing. We moved from that house when the kids were 5 and 6, and left the swing set there. They didn't seem to miss it too much!

Maybe putting something else out there that they can enjoy, like a little pool, a sandbox, or one of those playhouses might bring them around to play on the swing set, too. It's a shot in the dark, and I know you have already spent a fortune, but it might work!

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting