Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:06 PM

275 posts, read 707,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosaEspanola1 View Post
Most new moms have a spouse, relative or close friend help out in those first few days.
The first few days are not the problem. My family lives several hours away and we have no close friends in this area. My mother is able to come in for MAYBE a week, but after that it is just us. That is not the problem. The problem, as mentioned before, is that we really can't make it on just my husband's salary. We really need me to go back to work as soon as possible after he gets here. The longest we can wait/ delay me going back to work is 12 weeks. After he is about 12 weeks old, we really will be tapped out and will not be able to pay our bills.

A nanny is definitely NOT an option. As I said before, they are so expensive, it would put us in the red to even consider it. I wish we could afford one, but realistically, if I can't afford to stay home with him, what makes anyone think I could afford an in home nanny??

I'll probably be looking into the local university for some part time child care from some of the child development students. They are dependable, inexpensive and I know a few of them.

Trying to figure out the best option for my son, and I really do wish I didn't have to go back to work, but the only way to avoid that would be for my husband to get a third job... and that is out of the question... I do want our son to see him more than once a week. :P He needs time with his daddy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
The question I am asking is really whether or not I should delay his daycare until 12 weeks, or just go ahead and put him in at 6 weeks. I personally feel that 6 weeks is too young, and that by 12 weeks my husband and I would be more comfortable with him in outside care for a few hours, one or two days a week.

The longest I can feasibly wait is until he is almost 5 months, that's the longest we can rely on our savings, etc... I really NEED/HAVE to go back to work to make it work with him. Luckily, when I had my oldest son, I was living near family and could have a gramma, aunt, etc... help out.

We are in WV, and I have been checking. The MINIMUM I have found for child care per week is $97. We could swing between $100 or so a week and not be in the red.

I guess I am really trying to find out whether or not he would be ok, adjust alright is I delay until he is 12 weeks to go into some sort of care.

A babysitter would be great... I'm just not sure if I trust some of the ones around here (given the area I live in...:/ ) I would prefer someone with credentials and trained in infant CPR.

*sigh* It's a hard decision to put him in at all, and if I could avoid it, I would, but when we sit and look at the numbers, there is really just no way to get around me going back to work.

Again, i am appreciating the input from you guys! Thank you so much!!

-- and a side note, my first son passed away, so it's as if I'm starting all over again! Have to get back in the swing of things, but I def. do remember how hard it is to drop him off somewhere, if even for only a few hours! Breaks your heart everytime you have to leave them.
I am very sorry for your loss. If you can, I think you should delay day care until 12 weeks. It is hard to do, I agree. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting