Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,495 times

Advertisements

Our 8 month old is a decent sleeper but not nearly as good as his older sister, and my wife and I are a bit discouraged. On a good night, he goes from 7PM to 5AM, which I know is pretty good...but on a bad night he'll only make it to 4AM.

Anyway, I'd like to hear sleeping horror stories from other parents, just to give me a bit of a perspective that our son is actually sleeping pretty well. I've heard of some kids who are well over 1 year old who are still up 2 times/night?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
I've got one for ya. My neice is 3 years old and still does not sleep through the night! Gets up twice on average, may have a whole nighter, but they are few and far between.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,494 times
My son did not really sleep at all until two months. He was not one of those eat, sleep for 4 hours, rinse and repeat. He was eat, take a 1 and a half hour nap, then back up (and that was only if we held him while he slept). My wife and I thought we were gonna die. I think we had trouble because we could never fill him up. He was 10 pounds when we left the hospital and a big eater. He would get bored with the formula and we couldn't give him solids obviously. I have heard of people putting some baby breakfast powder into the formula but that makes a mess.

we eventually found that he would sleep longer in his car seat. Too weird. He would sleep for 6 or more hours in his car seat but not in a crib. Maybe it's a comfort thing.

He is 5 now and still rocks himself to sleep. Kinda hard to describe. He has lots of nervous energy. he likes to rock in a chair and bounce as well.

From the time I first held him his eyes were wide open and he was looking around. And he was always frustrated at not being able to crawl or move around.

But he does sleep now for 10 to 11 hours and has been doing at leat 8 since he was 4 months or so. We used to get worried that he never woke up to have a middle of the night feeding. My mom said I was the same way.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 PM

85 posts, read 317,200 times
My son was a dream..slept like a rock all night from two months on.
My daughter didn't sleep the whole night regularly until she was almost a year, and even then she would sometimes wake up. My daughter was so hard to get to sleep, and to stay asleep in her crib. I would rock her and the very second I would think she was good and asleep, put her in her crib, she was up again. This would go on for 2 or 3 hours. At one point, I actually got a little swing and I would sway back and forth with her while she was in it, singing to her. She would fall asleep, and I spent most of her infancy catnapping in a swaying motion.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I've got one for ya. My neice is 3 years old and still does not sleep through the night! Gets up twice on average, may have a whole nighter, but they are few and far between.
I've got one for you too....
My daughter who is 4 doesn't sleep through the night,up sometimes 3-4x!
Haven't had an entire night's sleep since...hmmmmmmmmmmmm. 7 years ago when we brought our first daughter home.
It is horrible and frustrating but we have tried everything.
I have no advice for anyone unfortunately and since we have tried every thing that the dr's,books,peers,friends & family have told us,we have given up and pretty much think that this is the way it is... hopefully by the time they are in high school they will be sleeping through the night!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 AM

372 posts, read 456,329 times
Our first born son was the same. He was frequently up and awake 3-4 a.m. and was wanting breakfast. We finally made a rule that he could get out of bed when the sun came up (still early but reasonable and he didn't have to tell time to know when he could get up). Good luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
You're lucky. My 2 1/2 doesn't sleep through the night. We are getting him on that path, but it has been a slow process. We finally got him to only waking once, he'll either come to our bed or one of us sleeps with him. At 8 months, I'd not expect a perfect sleeper. Your kid is fine. Just go with the flow, he'll get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting