Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A Maryland school district has ordered parents of more than 2,300 students to court Saturday for failure to immunize their children. The parents could face fines and jail time if they do not appear.

ABC News: Schools Say Immunize Kids or Go to Jail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
Hey John didn't you post in the Religion forum about how some woman used "against her religion" to prevent her child from being immunized?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Now that's TO MUCH government control.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM

77 posts, read 273,062 times
I have and will always make sure my children are immunized with every available immunization not just because I don't want them to ever suffer from any of the diseases that they prevent, but I would never want to be responsible for the possible spread to another child or adult of such disease that would have been prevented with such an immunization. I don't believe its about control of the gov't as much as they are trying to protect people!!!! It's really a no-brainer to me.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,261 times
It's the parents right.

About 3 years ago I refused to have my daughter vacinated with the MMR after she had already received the series. Because the last shot was given a few days early due to an upcoming holiday trip, when enrolling her in school, they sent a note home saying that the shot wasn't given according to the time frame of the health guidelines (or something to that effect). I told them that I WAS NOT going to subject her to another vaccination and I sent the same thing in writing to the school nurse.

They didn't give me any problems after that.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Hey John didn't you post in the Religion forum about how some woman used "against her religion" to prevent her child from being immunized?
Yes, legally you could use this reasoning. You have freedom of religion. Christian Scientists for example often are exempt from getting their children vaccinated.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinak View Post
I have and will always make sure my children are immunized with every available immunization not just because I don't want them to ever suffer from any of the diseases that they prevent, but I would never want to be responsible for the possible spread to another child or adult of such disease that would have been prevented with such an immunization. I don't believe its about control of the gov't as much as they are trying to protect people!!!! It's really a no-brainer to me.
I agree about having our kids immunized. Don't get me wrong by my earlier post. Immunizations are the reason we don't have the diseases we once had in this country. But I just don't feel our Government has the right to tell people what to do with their personal lives. The majority of parents do immunize. Thank God. But there are parents who are scared of the immunizations because they have heard frightening new about problems related to them--like Autism. And of course there are some religions that don't accept immunizations. It should be a personal choice. But again, personally, I feel it's a no-brainer too.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
I'm all for public health.

I don't like fear-based opting-out from vaccines and I do think there needs to be some kind of reminder of the severity of the illnesses that you're being protected against. Even if YOU can withstand the measles, or are willing to chance it, by not immunizing you're allowing the disease to spread to others more vulnerable. (Pregnant moms, for instance.)

I was sent an email about two elderly men in Isreal who died after a flu vaccine and based on that, a certain someone didn't want my children to get flu shots last year. THis does not seem like a good way to make a decision.

Having said that, lets get the thimerosal and mercury OUT and make sure vaccines are as safe and beneficial as possible.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Both my brother and I had really severe reactions to immunizations as children (though about 2 years apart). We both went in as happy, bubbly children and came out on the very high functioning side of the autistic spectrum after a high fever. Luckily, that seems to have evened out into mild Asbergers for both of us, but I personally will never get another vaccine again if I can help it. Because I do travel and study in 3rd world countries, I will get yellow fever immunizations and such because that's a pressing threat. However, I opted out of several immunizations required by my college due to my previous reactions to them.

But when I have children, like hell are they going to be immunized. Not after the suffering my brother and I have gone through as a result.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 AM

As long as "your" children have their immunizations you should have no fear of them getting any of those diseases. Does anyone really have the right to tell another person how to believe?? That's the only objections I have here...not the immunization itself but telling people that they HAVE to have their children immunized. I would love to see all children protected and safe but I personally do not know if that is what immunizations do for all children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting