Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be mandatory vaccinations for children in schools
Yes 2 5.56%
No 30 83.33%
Maybe 2 5.56%
Not Sure 2 5.56%
No Opinion 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM

403 posts, read 1,580,983 times

Advertisements

Several articles I've read about vaccinations make it sound like as if the government is going to force certain groups of people to get vaccinated. The articles mention children under 18 often times and say that they should be one of the first ones vaccinated, but it sounds as if there is going to be a mandatory vaccination program, which is a little scary. Not every parent is going to want their child to get vaccinated. Although this virus is new and no one under 18 has immunity to it, I think it would be ridiculous to have a mandatory vaccination program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Riots in the streets, if America has any backbone left.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
I think its unlikely they mandate a flu shot immediately, since, there's talk of having to ration the first batches of vaccine. They don'r mandate regular flu shots, either, possible because the viruses change so much its not like you can effectively eliminate the flu.

They are saying young people are more vulnerable to complications - so they will probably push the vaccine for this population - that's what was in the news yesterday - but I don't think it will be mandatory.

What I DO see happening is schools going apes**t when there is an outbreak, and I hope employers of school-age parents are going to be tolerant of woker absences, because if the kids get quarantined for two weeks, mom or dad is going to miss a lot of work.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
What I DO see happening is schools going apes**t when there is an outbreak, and I hope employers of school-age parents are going to be tolerant of woker absences, because if the kids get quarantined for two weeks, mom or dad is going to miss a lot of work.
I can see that too. I teach in an elementary school and last year was exposed to another very contagious disease. Unfortunately for me, I had a cold that shared some of the same symptoms as the disease. The local health department immediately sent me home. I had to go to the doctor, have the test, and sit home until it came back negative. It was a huge pain in the rear. No one in the school ever tested possitive. The student that was the cause for the scare was not vaccinated and came from a foreign country. As soon as the child became suspected of having this, the family left town and the child could not be tested. Thus the rest of us were sent home to make sure we didn't test possitive.

Schools are full of so many diseases. So many working parents cannot take off work and therefore send their kids to school sick. I have seen so many parents (stay at home and working) dope their kids up with Tylenol and hope the fever goes away until at least lunch. Then they don't answer their phone after lunch. It happens every day. I can only hope that parents will be a little more conscientious this year. I know it's hard. I am a working mother too. I have the same child care issues as anyone else. When my kid is sick, I have to take off too. But at some point we have to think about the common good.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
If only there were some device by which a teacher could send moving pictures and video of the class over some kind of infrastructure that could receive it and display it to children who may be infected. Such device might even be reciprocal, so that the student on this "inter-networked display" would be able to interact with the teacher.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 AM

72 posts, read 226,953 times
No, there should not be. My son is not yet in elementary school, but I sure would not want to make child get a shot that could have too many side effects to it. And the by the way, this is America, people should be making their own choices as to whether or not to get themselves and their children vaccinated.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Several articles I've read about vaccinations make it sound like as if the government is going to force certain groups of people to get vaccinated. The articles mention children under 18 often times and say that they should be one of the first ones vaccinated, but it sounds as if there is going to be a mandatory vaccination program, which is a little scary. Not every parent is going to want their child to get vaccinated. Although this virus is new and no one under 18 has immunity to it, I think it would be ridiculous to have a mandatory vaccination program.
There have been several reports that this flu strain is quite difficult on pregnant women.
As always, the CDC is going to recommend for under a certain age just due to exposure and so on.

I'm on the fence. My #1 is a croup magnet with stridor to follow w/in 24hrs. Almost any flu bug he gets...we end up in the ER due to stridor & extremely high temp (104+). It sucks & it's very, very scary. #2 kicks back within a day or two of catching whatever germ/virus/infection came his way. #1 starts preschool in the fall....I really don't know what to expect.

I said no to the traditional flu shot last year and it was not a good cold/flu season for us. BUT, as our ped told us, that may or may not have anything to do with denying the shot b/c many flu strains in our area were not in the flu shot.

I am not going to be first in line for the new vaccine.

But I am going to follow it closely & just pray that my intuition and commen sense kicks into high gear when my children get sick this coming school year & I can do what needs to be done instead of shuttling them off to the ped or ER.

I always find the CDC to be worst case scenario about everything, so have a tendency to not listen. We are aware but we are not going to be fearful, iof that makes sense!

But, no, I do not think it should be mandatory.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,849 times
It's never a good idea to mandate anything if it has not been studies for an extended period of time - and in this case a few months or so is not enough to base a rational decisions upon as compared to a lifetime of scientific research.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I'm going to say no...but!!!!

For those parents that refuse, they need to sign a release, releasing the school and/or district of any lawsuits should their child come down with the swine flu.
They should also be required to keep their child home should they show ANY signs.

Personal resposibility is a must in this situation.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
I thought some vaccines (not swine flu but MMR etc) are already mandatory? I know my twins had to show vaccination certs for when they go to playschool, but maybe that is because it si a private church playschool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting