Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,849 times

Advertisements

I have to put crock pot at the top of my list as well! Even being a stay at home mom, it gives me so much time to do more with my 3 boys.

A favorite here is taco salad. It is a great way to get the vegetables into the picky kids.

1 pkg. hamburger cooked and seasoned with taco seasoning
1 head of lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
1 tomato, diced
1 red and green pepper, diced
5 green onions, diced
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups crunched up Doritos - (we like zesty)
1 lg can of kidney beans - (for variety I will add black beans or mixed instead)
Mix all these together in a large bowl.
For a wonderful toping mix equal parts ketchup and mayonnaise. Adjust to taste.

The other favorite is chicken enchiladas. Very easy to make.

Dice 4 chicken breasts (We are a family of five so these are my measurements!) and cook. When done add 2 cups of salsa, 2 cups of frozen corn and 3/4 of a pack of mixed shredded cheese. Mix.
On a large tortilla put enough of the mixture to roll into a enchilada. Place on a baking sheet side by side. (Should make 6) Pour 2 cups salsa over all of them and sprinkle with the mix cheese.
Cover with tinfoil and bake in the oven at 375 for 25 minutes.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
All wonderful ideas from everyone!! Thank you! Where would I find one of these vacums? And thanks for the hint on single serving! Everyone always wants something different! Would you precook the hot dog?
nope just put them in raw they cook in the microwave you can get the vacuum at any store like target or walmart it is called the foodsaver and it is greta because then you can go to costco or sams and buy bulk at cheaper prices per pound and save money too my fav thing to do is buy a 20lb bag of sugar and then vacuum about 20 bags no ants stay fresh and I open them as I need them
Just one comment on the sealer spend your money and get the best one the have to offer you will have alot more options with it. Good luck I love mine

oh yeah and here is a good one I do too with the vacuum

I make my own TV dinners ---go down and buy some cheap melamine plates from big lots
take a piece of fried chicken (precooked) some mash potatoes and some corn put it on the plate vacuum and seal FREEZE the whole plate!!!!!
then you have your whole dinner ready to put into the microwave

it doesnt get any quicker than that

Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
DARN!! There are some good ideas and recipes here.

I can't cook anything more than the very basic - open a can, microwave a box, that type of cooking.

These postings sound like really good stuff and it's making me want to go home and try these things. That's an outstanding achievement for me :-))

I'm going to print this out and start getting the ingredients and make my menu for a few days.

Funny, I do have one of those vacuum/seal food things at home. It's doing quite nicely in a corner of the laundry room. And I even have a crock pot! Hey, they could have been out in the storage shed! LOL...

Hoosier, after you try all this stuff and make the freezable portions, you know FedEx will deliver overnight right??? :-))

My son had a roommate in college who was Indian and his mother would, from across the country, send him frozen meals every week.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
DARN!! There are some good ideas and recipes here.

I can't cook anything more than the very basic - open a can, microwave a box, that type of cooking.

These postings sound like really good stuff and it's making me want to go home and try these things. That's an outstanding achievement for me :-))

I'm going to print this out and start getting the ingredients and make my menu for a few days.

Funny, I do have one of those vacuum/seal food things at home. It's doing quite nicely in a corner of the laundry room. And I even have a crock pot! Hey, they could have been out in the storage shed! LOL...

Hoosier, after you try all this stuff and make the freezable portions, you know FedEx will deliver overnight right??? :-))

My son had a roommate in college who was Indian and his mother would, from across the country, send him frozen meals every week.
Oh, and I thought you were going to offer to FedEx me yours so I could save some money. You betcha! I'll send you a famous Minnesota Hot Dish

Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM

ooh, I have one more!

This is an egg, curry dish that even my 6 year old likes!

Put 1 tbsp. margarine in a pot with 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice on high. Stir until rice is opaque. Add 4 tbsp. curry powder and mix. Stir in 3 cups water, bring to boil, cover on low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit until needed.

In a lg. skillet cook 1 package of hamburger. Drain, then mix in 5 tbsp. curry powder.
(some people will add strips of cucumber at this stage but I don't)

Add the curry rice to the hamburger and mix together. Turn the heat to med-low.

Flatten the rice/meat mixture and then make 6 good size indents with a ladle.
Crack an egg into each of the indents. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, put the lid on and simmer it until the eggs have cooked all the way through.

Be sure you use non stick and that the temp. is more low than medium or the rice/meat will burn.

Serve with brussel sprouts.

This may not sound very appealing (I am not a cook book writer so I hope my instructions made sense!) but it really is one of the favorite dishes in our house! Let me know what you think if you try it!

Skoe

Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 AM

That sounds YUMMMYYYYYYY Skoe. Another one for the list. But could we skip the brussel sprouts???

Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 AM

okay, corn then! I thought I should add a vegetable for the healthy side!
Asparagus with parmesan sprinkled on top with a little EVOO and grilled would also be great. Mmmmm, I think I know the menu for tonight!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
okay, corn then! I thought I should add a vegetable for the healthy side!
Asparagus with parmesan sprinkled on top with a little EVOO and grilled would also be great. Mmmmm, I think I know the menu for tonight!
I believe I can speak for VPcats on this one...we'll all be there about 7:00, Vp and her hubby, me and the family....make some extra so we can use the seal a meal and take home with us. So now, where do you live?

Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
I believe I can speak for VPcats on this one...we'll all be there about 7:00, Vp and her hubby, me and the family....make some extra so we can use the seal a meal and take home with us. So now, where do you live?
hahaha I went out to lunch with my sister so I guess tonihgt is a freezer night for the kids

Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:

You may speaketh for moi anytime there's food involved! :-)
Hubby? What for? I can eat for both of us. :-))

(This darn computer! When are they going to realize I need all the props here?)

SKOEEEEE.... What's EVOO? Please don't tell me it's related to the Innova Evo I am feeding one of my dogs now... Although it doesn't seem too bad you know. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting