Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 08:08 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times

Advertisements

WARNING!! This may be graphic to some.

I got this off of another forum I'm a member on. A member there got this video from one of her friends in the fire department....as an EMT, this is real life. A Police Dept. in Britan is pulling no punches into trying to scare teens against texting while driving. The video is a dramatization, but I feel its something to be shared with those who have teens. I know my dd will be watching this.

YouTube - Texting + Driving = Accident/Death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
Actually, such videos should not be aimed at teens only! NOONE should phone or text while driving!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Actually, such videos should not be aimed at teens only! NOONE should phone or text while driving!
Agreed!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,428 times
I received an email that I promptly shared with my DD who will be driving in about a month. It was very powerful, it introduced you to a small boy who was very cute and described his life a little bit with pictures and everything and then it showed what he looked like in the hospital and described how serious his injuries were and how long it took for him to recover after an 18 yr old girl plowed into his family's vehicle while she was texting.

My DD did not want to see it but I made her watch it and stressed the importance of only DRIVING while driving, not texting or talking or eating, anything that can take your main focus off driving. For my DD I think the thought of injuring someone else may be more of a deterrent than the thought of injuring herself because as we all know teens are bulletproof. Right??

Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
I just sent this to every person on my email list. I posted it on my facebook.

It needs to be shown. And often.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
True, but I said teens because this was what the video was aimed at. I agaree that noone should be texting while driving, but it's much harder to reach adults because most have become hardened to anything graphic. Teens aren't numb to life's experiences yet and I think they will be more prone to listen.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:25 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
They passed a law where I live making it illegal to talk or text on your phone while driving. You can only use your mobile device if you use a headset.

But - it totally doesn't matter. People do it all the time anyway. Makes me so mad. I honk at them sometimes! People talk and text all the time while driving and it is so dangerous! People are so distracted in their cars... kids, CD or mp3 players, cell phones, some people have dvd players. It's so scary.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
WARNING!! This may be graphic to some.

I got this off of another forum I'm a member on. A member there got this video from one of her friends in the fire department....as an EMT, this is real life. A Police Dept. in Britan is pulling no punches into trying to scare teens against texting while driving. The video is a dramatization, but I feel its something to be shared with those who have teens. I know my dd will be watching this.

YouTube - Texting + Driving = Accident/Death
As someone who has had to take calls the last month or two in the car (job searching) this is a wake up call. I never text while driving and at least try to stop at a light before i dial. Now that I've got the job (accepted the offer in the car) I really have no reason to use my phone in the car. (I no there is really no good reason, period.)

My state Virginia just banned texting while driving for this year. But problem is that you have to be pulled over for something else before the cop can write you up for that and it's only a $25 fine and no points on the license. Sadly I dont think this will be very effective. My vote would be to ban cell phone use period (yes i know i teeter on being a hypocrite) and make it a big fine that will get your attention on the first offense. As someone who got a red light ticket that was $162 that got my attention real quick.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 PM

422 posts, read 757,083 times
yah go ahead and buy your teenager that cellphone......

I'm so sick and tired of seeing all these young punks with cellphones some even as young as 12....hell by the time they are 17 and driving you have to pry the dam things out of their hands...parents do youselves a favor...don't get your kids cellphones...as a public servant who sees kids using cellphones everyday...its just pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting