Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,073,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I went to vocational school a few years back with a down-to-earth, actress/model-looking woman in her early 30s whose name, believe it or not, was Cloud. She said her parents weren't hippies, either. Go figure.
Oh yeah ... I once knew a Sunshine and a Queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,424,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Speaking of Pet peeve, I just named my new Lhasa Apso "Little One Kenobi".

I hope this doesn't scar her down the road one day.
I have a Pekingese named "L'il Caeser", recently got a kitten from the shelter and named her "Cleopatra"!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 2,305,958 times
Y'all are assuming that these kids are stuck with these names for the rest of their lives and there is simply nothing that they can do about it. The fact of the matter is if they are not happy with their names it is extremely easy to change it.

- Reel

Old 09-22-2009, 02:06 PM

480 posts, read 881,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ Or how about Nicholas Cage naming his kid Kal-El?
Hee hee, funny you mentioned Nicholas Cage. Reminds me of an SNL skit where Cage's character and his pregnant wife are debating names for their baby. Every name she comes up with, he finds a way that kids will inevitably make fun of it.

William. Good. "Wee Willie!" "Chilly Willy!" "Willie Wonka! Hey! Where's your chocolate factory?! Oompa-Loompa" every day of his life!

Please.. Fred, Frank.. , the F's are no good. If he's fat, it's just a disaster.

Great. Sam. "Uncle Sam." "I want you.. to be ostracized!"

Finally he settles on the Icelandic name Bjaardker, "that'll be hard to crack."

Then a delivery man comes to the door with a package for Cage's character's, whose name turns out to be A_s_s_w_i_p_e (pronounced az-we-pay, or something like that).

Baby Names

Of course people are entitled to name their children whatever they like, but childhood and adolesence are difficult enough for kids with traditional names. Why give them an additional cross to bear?

And if I were named Marijuana Pepsi, I'd have been in court on my 18th birthday having it legally changed. Poor woman!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,276,645 times
Quote:

love it!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,570,677 times
I think first you have to define what a conventional name is.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM

480 posts, read 881,090 times
Quote:

Hee hee. one of my family members had a Lhasa Apso named Dalai Lama-rama-ding-dong.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,769,864 times
I seem to remember a thread several months back that complained that parents gave their kids too conventional of names--maybe it was WHITE parents that were being complained about. The names some black parents give their children seem pretty nonstandard. Aisha and Ashanti come to mine initially, but there are plenty of others.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:

That's cute for your Lhasa Apso but would be embarrassing for a child. I think too many parents are naming their children cutsy names that would be more appropriate for pets as pets do not need to survive in a brutal job market. I'm ok with nicknames but I think parents should take into consideration the child's future when deciding upon a name.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I seem to remember a thread several months back that complained that parents gave their kids too conventional of names--maybe it was WHITE parents that were being complained about. The names some black parents give their children seem pretty nonstandard. Aisha and Ashanti come to mine initially, but there are plenty of others.
Yeah but many of these names are gaining in popularity and employers are becoming more and more used to ethnic names though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting