Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah... I was wondering if this was the best place as I felt it was controversial and this is my regular hangout. LOL!
When I was pregnant I didn't like any of the boy names (because I was positive I was having a girl) so my son didn't have a name until he was here for awhile.

There was a newsreporter that I loved to listen to and I liked his name so I just went with it.

When I told one of my coworkers she said "Girl, why you give that baby such a n!gger!sh name" if I hadn't been at work I might have slapped her silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:41 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
A bunch of us were talking at my granddaughter's softball game Saturday. These are 10 year old girls and we, grandparents and parents, were commenting on the fact that a lot of the "old fashioned" names were now back in style and how nice it was. There were Katheryns, Olivias, Margarets, Emilys, Emmas, Rebeccas, etc. etc. I think that the fad names are gradually losing favor. Hope so.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:41 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,917,165 times
I got an email yesterday asking me how I would pronounce Le-a. Lot's of different answers, all wrong. The name was pronounced

'Le Dash a' because the 'dash' was not silent!!

I hope it was a joke.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
I knew a single mom who told me she had named her daughter "Chivon". At least I thought it would be spelled that way, from the way she said it. Different, and sort of pretty.

Found out later she spelled it "Shavawn". Felt very sorry for the kid after that.

I can't help but wonder if some kids' names simply reflect the ignorance and illiteracy of the parents.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
When I was pregnant I didn't like any of the boy names (because I was positive I was having a girl) so my son didn't have a name until he was here for awhile.

There was a newsreporter that I loved to listen to and I liked his name so I just went with it.

When I told one of my coworkers she said "Girl, why you give that baby such a n!gger!sh name" if I hadn't been at work I might have slapped her silly.
That was awfully rude of her. I'd probably would want to slap her as well.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:43 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
I don't have a problem with different names. I accidently named my son what turned out to be a popular name and it drives me crazy! I thought it would be at least somewhat unique but now I can't turn around without knocking over some kid with the same name. And worse, they are all about the same age!

1,595 posts, read 2,988,856 times
My pet peeves are the "presidential" names;
Reagan
Kennedy
Taylor
Tyler
Madison
Jefferson
Jackson
etc.

And the city, state, or country names;
Brooklyn
Dallas
Orlando
Montana
Phoenix
America
China
etc.

3,813 posts, read 4,917,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
A bunch of us were talking at my granddaughter's softball game Saturday. These are 10 year old girls and we, grandparents and parents, were commenting on the fact that a lot of the "old fashioned" names were now back in style and how nice it was. There were Katheryns, Olivias, Margarets, Emilys, Emmas, Rebeccas, etc. etc. I think that the fad names are gradually losing favor. Hope so.
I have a very old fashioned name, and was always the only one in school with it. I hated it. I always wished for a more 'modern' name. Now, like you, I see it more frequently, especially the shortened 'nickname'.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have also noticed this trend as well. Seems everywhere I go, there's a little girl named Emily.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Of course it's wrong, awful etc., but Marijuana Pepsi is kinda pretty.

I'll add... Prince Michael II, aka Blanket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting