Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times

Advertisements

My parents (before they passed away) dad gave my 2 boys a few bonds on their
birthdays. They amount to about $300

Both kids are 18 or over so instead of just giving them
the cash , I wanted to use it to buy them something that would be a "memory" gift from their grandparents.

My only idea has been a nice pocket watch with an inscription
about it being from the grandparents with love.

Any other ideas??

They don't like jewelry like rings ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
A watch sounds very appropriate.
If your dad had a special interest you might choose something related to that.
For instance trains, cars or boats. A picture might work.

hth

Old 03-26-2010, 06:20 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
or even a regular watch they will actually use! you can have in engraved on the back

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times
Since the bonds were given to them, shouldn't they decide if they want a memory gift or the bonds? A watch is a great idea, but since the money already belongs to them, I'd give them the choice.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
Fewer and fewer people are wearing watches these days, especially those under 30 - they already have clocks on their DSes, Ipods, phones, etc.

They are 18. Giving them the bonds now guarantees they'll cash it and spend it on something stupid. Wait until they get married, buy a house or have their first child - hand it to them with a note that shares a memory about their grandparent with them.

Buying something they don't want and won't really appreciate is also a waste, imho.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Since the bonds were given to them, shouldn't they decide if they want a memory gift or the bonds? A watch is a great idea, but since the money already belongs to them, I'd give them the choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Fewer and fewer people are wearing watches these days, especially those under 30 - they already have clocks on their DSes, Ipods, phones, etc.

They are 18. Giving them the bonds now guarantees they'll cash it and spend it on something stupid. Wait until they get married, buy a house or have their first child - hand it to them with a note that shares a memory about their grandparent with them.

Buying something they don't want and won't really appreciate is also a waste, imho.
Totally agree with both of these posters. My sons are in their 20's and neither of them wears a watch...they check the time on their cell phones.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Yeah, I know that it is really theirs but they would be okay with me
getting them a gift to remember their grandparents by..I would ask..

I like the idea of a gift to their children in honor of their great grandparents.

They have extravagant relatives on their dads side, so the cash just won't
mean the same as a gift that will last.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
I think you are smart to try to find something special rather than just hand them some cash. Cash has a way of just frittering away. A remembrance can have special meaning for a long time. Unfortunately, boys are more challenging to find those special things for...do they have a special memory of things they did with your parents? Something that reflected that might an idea.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I think you should give them the bonds and let them decide what to do. Wouldn't it legally be theirs, anyway?

Before handing it over, though, maybe the three of you can sit down and discuss what you think should be done with the money. Maybe a charitable donation? Or reinvest in more bonds? Put it in a high-yield savings account? Invest it? By discussing it you can make clear that this money is special and has a meaning that goes beyond just the financial value, yet let them direct how they want to spend it.

I can see why you don't like just handing over cash, but I also think that it's their money, their gift, and they'll feel more invested in it (and perhaps feel more deeply connected to it, and to their grandparents) if they decide how to use the money. And while the watch idea is nice, I don't know if it means that much if you're the one picking it out, not their grandparents. Maybe you could suggest the watch idea and see if they like it. And if not, even if they choose something less physical (investing, for example) that doesn't mean it's any less meaningful. I'm assuming the bonds are still earning interest? You could offer to continue to hold onto them for safe keeping until they need them for something really special.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 03-29-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
It's legally their money. You can't exactly just go spend it for them. If you want to get them a memory gift, do it on your own.

Since they are over 18, are they on their own or in college? I'm sure in these tight economic times, they'd appreciate that money to put into savings, pay rent, etc etc. As a 22 year old graduating soon, I am letting everyone know that while I appreciate the thought, until I have a car/apartment/job, I would appreciate money for all gifts. It won't get frittered away- it will help to pay for life's necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting