Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,843 times

Advertisements

Alright, I need some ideas for a gift for my 10 going on 11 niece. I want to buy her age and reading level appropriate books. I know she loves the Junie B. Jones books, but I'm not sure which ones she's read so I don't want to go there. Any of you with 3rd grade girls who can help, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
This is a great age to introduce any of the American Girl books. There are book series based on the American History dolls, History Mysteries and fun puzzle type books for girls!

Two other good books are Because of Winn Dixie and The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,929 times
You could given her a gift card to a bookstore and let her pick out her own books. My daughter would love that.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 PM

107 posts, read 398,363 times
gift cards are great. maybe you could get her a little wallet and she could put it in there and feel like a big girl when she goes to redeem the gift card.
some book ideas... if you don't want to get the gift card...The lion the witch and the wardrobe
, anything judy blume, nancy drew, little women, and the giving tree. My daughter (11 yrs old)doesn't like the Harry Potter books bc she thinks they are scary but I heard that most kids love them...

Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 AM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
Alright, I need some ideas for a gift for my 10 going on 11 niece. I want to buy her age and reading level appropriate books. I know she loves the Junie B. Jones books, but I'm not sure which ones she's read so I don't want to go there. Any of you with 3rd grade girls who can help, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!
I agree with the other posters who said that a gift card would be a great idea. Then she can pick books that are interesting and challenging to her.

I just wanted to point out that a girl that is turning 11 is probably not in 3rd grade. My daughter just turned 10 and would be in 5th grade if we didn't homeschool. I would think that a girl turning 11 would at least be in 5th grade and then the reading level would be different. I think that the Junie B. Jones books are only a 2nd grade reading level and your niece might be bored.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,843 times
Default Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I agree with the other posters who said that a gift card would be a great idea. Then she can pick books that are interesting and challenging to her.

I just wanted to point out that a girl that is turning 11 is probably not in 3rd grade. My daughter just turned 10 and would be in 5th grade if we didn't homeschool. I would think that a girl turning 11 would at least be in 5th grade and then the reading level would be different. I think that the Junie B. Jones books are only a 2nd grade reading level and your niece might be bored.
You're right. She is in fifth grade. I don't know what I was thinking. Those are all great suggestions. I really want to buy her books so she has something fun to open since I won't be there for Christmas with her. I think I'm going to try the C.S. Lewis books and maybe Nancy Drew. Any other suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:18 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,193 times
I agree about the gift card idea. If your niece is an avid reader, she might have already ready some of the books that are suggested. Also, many teachers read aloud on a daily basis and have reading groups so she might have read some at school. I like the idea of the gift card put in a wallet! My fifth grade girls always liked to write in a "writer's notebook" or a diary like book. You could also buy one of those with a gift card too.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post

I would ask the parents what books she has before purchasing anything for her. I would then purchase only one or two books for her, so that she has an actual present to open, then I would also include the gift card so that she can have fun shopping, which most girls love doing!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I love sending my niece books! Unfortunately, of the three we have, only one likes reading. I usually look up reading lists online (such as: 5th grade reading level/books, etc). Then I get an idea of the level of books, go "window" shopping at the store and write down a few ideas, then talk to my SIL. Okay, maybe its a bit of work, but this way I get to pick a gift from me, while making sure it is something she would like/doesn't have. Usually, I'm right on target. However you decide, you might want to check with her mom or dad anyhow. She might be reading ahead or behind or really love a certain genre.

If your niece really loves reading, a nice journal might also be appreciated. She is getting to the point of keeping a diary, or writing her own stories. Yeah! I think that is what I'm going to do for my book-loving niece for Christmas this year! Incidentally, my niece is the same age, but I never see her, so my involvement is mostly at Christmas time (which is also when her birthday is), so I can't give you any good ideas yet.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
As has already been mentioned, I would also suggest not buying books without some pretty good knowledge regarding what she already has and what she likes to read.

Anyone buying for my soon to be 11 yr old daughter would likely be quite far off the mark if buying without knowing.
First of all, she reads virtually nothing that's stereotypically girly. Although she did read many of the Junie B Jones books back in 1st grade, she just turns away from others that most girls are drawn to.
Instead she mostly goes for fantasy/science fiction...things like dragons, anime, or anything scientific in nature.
Add to that she has quite a large library already and uses her library card regularly.

So, if my sister were to buy for my daughter and bought her something 'she' thinks my daughter would like based on what she likes or what her almost 11 yr old daughter likes....for example, American Girl........it would likely go untouched and unread by her. Sure, she's not the typical girl...but whose to say your neice isn't typical either? Just a different side here....haha

Just to add....my girl read all the Harry Potter books 2 years ago....has already read all the books in Narnia, Lemony Snicket...and several others that most suggest to be read at an older age than she reads. So buying a book for a normal 5th grader would also probably miss the mark for her interests and abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting