Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Social workers took a 2-year-old U.K. boy into care after his mother refused to give him junk food.

Zak Hessey was 17 pounds, 6 ounces when his mother Lisa took him to hospital, telling doctors he was a "fussy eater" and not gaining weight.

Doctors said he should weigh 19 pounds, 8 ounces, and advised the mother of five to bulk him up on chips, chocolate and cakes.

Government Takes Boy From Parents Who Refuse to Give Him Sweets - Children's Health - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
17 lbs at 2 is QUITE small. Kids NEED calories, sorry folks. We know some people that don't eat anything but organic food, no junk food, no high calorie food at all. When their son was 7 he was the size of a 4 year old and their DD was 10 and looked like she was 5. The parents were average height so that wasn't an issue. The kids simply were malnourished. We were at a hotel with them and saw the kids in swimming suits--they looked anorexic. It was really sad.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I agree that 17 pounds is WAY too small for a 2 year old. It may sound to the OP like it was a minimal weight difference---fdoctors wanting him to only weight 2 pounds more---but those two pounds are the difference between being underweight and being at the very bare minimum weight. I know this because I was underweight after my son was born. My doctor was begging me to get my weight up to a minimum of 118lbs.

I'm shocked the UK doctors were pushing junk food though. There are better ways to fatten him up. They have healthy drink mixes for that. They often give them to cancer patients. I almost started drinking them when I was underweight, but I finally managed to put on a few pounds naturally as I got into my 30s.

As for the children golfgal references, I doubt they were anorexic. Obesity is such a problem in our country that people think normal and slightly underweight is anorexic.

From reading the news story, the child in the news story should have never been taken from his parents though.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Here are more detailed articles:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...unds-too-light

Mother has boy snatched by social workers after refusing doctor's advice to feed him chocolate and crisps | Mail Online

Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
Just another case of government needing to mind its own damn business.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:07 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
You know, there does come a point where you need to stimulate someones appetite and I suppose IF he doesn't like to eat what his mother gives him and IF he actually would eat some "junk food" it could be the best thing for them to do. I'm not saying all junk all the time, but temporarily. When someone isn't eating you don't discriminate. Maybe those high calorie drinks they give sick people won't be to his liking either, who knows. I can't speak with any authority on this and I'm sure we aren't hearing the whole story.

When my cat was diagnosed with cancer after loosing almost half his body weight the vet had me offering him all sorts of things that weren't part of a "healthy" cat's diet...just to keep the weight/strength up while undergoing treatment.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
Gosh....my 2 1/2 year old is 30 lbs

Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree that 17 pounds is WAY too small for a 2 year old. It may sound to the OP like it was a minimal weight difference---fdoctors wanting him to only weight 2 pounds more---but those two pounds are the difference between being underweight and being at the very bare minimum weight. I know this because I was underweight after my son was born. My doctor was begging me to get my weight up to a minimum of 118lbs.

I'm shocked the UK doctors were pushing junk food though. There are better ways to fatten him up. They have healthy drink mixes for that. They often give them to cancer patients. I almost started drinking them when I was underweight, but I finally managed to put on a few pounds naturally as I got into my 30s.

As for the children golfgal references, I doubt they were anorexic. Obesity is such a problem in our country that people think normal and slightly underweight is anorexic.

From reading the news story, the child in the news story should have never been taken from his parents though.
No, trust me, they were not just slightly underweight--my kids are pretty skinny, my 5' 7" 14 year old only weighs 105 lbs, these kids were malnourished. You could see every bone, bump, whatever in their bodies. They had dull, lifeless hair and sallow eyes. They weren't technically anorexic since they ate food on a regular basis, they just weren't getting enough calories and looked anorexic.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
A simple way to put some weight on a child is to give them nutrition drinks --- there are some specially formulated to help you gain weight. No need to give "junk" food if you don't want your child eating that.

BTW, I think 17 lbs is entirely too small for a 2 year old --- are you sure the article didn't say 17k (which is about 35 lbs)???

Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,697 times
17 lbs.? My son weighed that much when he was 4 months old (all on breast milk)! That poor child looks like an old man. Funny, the mother is a bit chubby, though.

The advice to fatten him up on junk food is, of course, ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting