Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:19 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times

Advertisements

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a very active 14 year old boy who loves to have fun during the summer. Unfortunately, his idea of fun and mine do not always mesh. Usually, he wants me to drive him this place or that place, you get the picture. The problem is, I work from home, and have since he was small, but he tries to charm me away from work to help him achieve his 'perfect' day.

I am looking for activities that we can do either here at home, or very close so that the stress of telling him repeatedly I am working will be less this year.
We live in a rural setting where it takes 15 to 20 minutes just to reach the nearest town with even a mall or movie theatre.

I know there are some great moms and dads out there very creative, and can help me out of this potential stressful summer.

So, come on, give me your best fun activities. I hope to get a full summers worth.

Thank you guys. I know you are the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
At 14 he can either go to camp as a camper or a counselor in training. I would look at those options. If you have to work you have to work. Keeping him busy will be good for him and you can pick a camp that interests him. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2007, 12:22 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
you might also look into if you have a local chapter of BigBrothers/BigSisters...I like IrishMoms suggestion too!!! Very good one!
maybe you could also set aside a certain day every week (or time, or whatever works for you) and let him pick the activity, that way he has something definate to look forward too.
Remember, its hard to be 14yrs old. I wouldnt go back to that age for anything, not even for the wondeful skin and metabolism I had back then. lol
Good luck!!
Tiffany

Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Great ideas guys.

We live in a rural area at the moment, but construction is picking up each day as we ( our town) just landed the Toyota plant and things are happening faster and faster.

But, camp and setting aside one day per week for him sounds wonderful.

Keep 'em coming.

I could also have a pool party a couple of time this month. Oh, a themed one at that. That sounds like fun...any ideas????

Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Great ideas guys.

We live in a rural area at the moment, but construction is picking up each day as we ( our town) just landed the Toyota plant and things are happening faster and faster.

But, camp and setting aside one day per week for him sounds wonderful.

Keep 'em coming.

I could also have a pool party a couple of time this month. Oh, a themed one at that. That sounds like fun...any ideas????
we have teenager parties at our house
all the teens come to our house and have a bon fire or play video games or just a meet and greet
They all have a lot of fun
the moms all know where their kids are
maybe you can take turns with other parents to do this for your teens
It makes me feel younger when I mingle with them too
even though i don't know what the heck they are talkin about half the time

Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
If you have some property to spare I would give him a tool box with the basics (hammer, nails, small hand saw, etc.) and rummage around for some left over unwanted FREE lumber and the like and have him build something. It could be anything, like a tree fort or a shed or just his own secret hideway. A friend of mine had her 14 year old boy build his own kayak last year, it was amazing what this kid did with some simple supplies and a book from the library. The same kid also took to digging holes awhile back and made this ellaborate tunnel system on their property as well, all the kids love climbing around and through it. Another friend of mine had her kids use left over lumber and build this amazing fort over 10feet off the ground, it was awesome! This could be a summer to remember forever for him and some friends if he has any living near by. Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Wow! ! ! you guys are giving me tons of ideas. YIPPIE....

THis is what I was hoping for. OH, thank you many times over..

all are wonderful ideas. I am so excited.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:20 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Have you checked out letterboxing or geocaching? They are treasure hunt type activities that are alot of fun for the whole family. Letterboxing.org and geocaching.com have all the info. The best part, these activities are free, minus the gps unit or cell phone w/gps for geocaching.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:15 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Have you checked out letterboxing or geocaching? They are treasure hunt type activities that are alot of fun for the whole family. Letterboxing.org and geocaching.com have all the info. The best part, these activities are free, minus the gps unit or cell phone w/gps for geocaching.
ya know what about 2 years ago I thought that would be the coolest so i mentioned it to my kids and all they thought about were the bugs and trampin thru the woods and all the negativity associated with it I for one still think it is a cool idea

Old 05-18-2007, 07:31 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
ya know what about 2 years ago I thought that would be the coolest so i mentioned it to my kids and all they thought about were the bugs and trampin thru the woods and all the negativity associated with it I for one still think it is a cool idea
I can see that, kids can be fun, lol. Try to find some letterboxes or geocaches that aren't located in the woods to start with. My hubby thought it was a dumb idea, but went along the 1st time we went out. He ended up loving it, and now he makes the plans to go out and letterbox. If you go to the main page of letterboxing.org, you can click on letterboxing north america, then click on your state. You can choose your area and see what is near there. Some are hidden in local parks, some are on long hiking trails. Kids are usually more willing to go if they can bring a friend along. MY kids are still little, 7 & 5. So they think its cool to go treasure hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting