Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 01:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Who said anything about "spreading it around"....notifying the parents (either directly or anonymously) is not the same as spreading rumors or gossiping to others.
I edited that out and posted it again with appropriate quotes. I didn't mean for that to go with your quote. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
.....I believe there is an obligation there if another adult is aware.
Not legally. And it's not like I was aware at the time these things occurred.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Her kids were good kids who happened to smoke marijuana. I wasn't going to destroy their lives by spreading it around.

The other kids's parents should have been more vigilant. I sure didnt' rely on someone telling me.

I figured it out what was happening from the very start. Dont' see how none of them could figure it out for themselves.
First of all... drugs destroy good kids lives. Marijuana is a gateway drug which most start out on and then move to stronger drugs.

Second... Spreading it around is not the same as making the parents aware of it.

back to the OP...

If the OP is aware that their son is having sex with all of these other children at age 11, it's not their responsibility to do something about his behavior and to make the other parents aware of it ???

How many children does he have to DO before they need to seek counselling ?

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-30-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Not all obligations are legal IMO..there are ethical obligations also....and if you weren't aware why did you stop your son from going over there? Now I am confused.....

ETA - doesn't matter at this point and I don't mean to get off-topic...

Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
My son discovered his sexuality at a similar age (no - it was not with a friend) however its was a little too public for my comfort! His father spoke with him about it, explained that it was a normal part of growing up but not something that should be done in public (in your son's case shared with someone other than your mate). We didn't make a big issue of it and our son never took it as being a big issue. I'm probably in the minority here but I see this as normal experimentation. Overreaction will only make it seem dirty and wrong to them. They are not perverts they are kids! I also do not think its an indicator of hetero or homosexual orientation. He and his friend were just doing something that felt good! Do I think the other parents should be contacted? Yes, I do but only because its their place to discuss it in relation to their values with their son!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Do I think the other parents should be contacted? Yes, I do but only because its their place to discuss it in relation to their values with their son!
You know, that's a great point. The fact that OP was able to talk to his child and attempt to deal with it is all fine well and good... but what about the other kid? He will walk away from this with no parental guidance, whatsoever. Just another thing to consider.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
My son discovered his sexuality at a similar age (no - it was not with a friend) however its was a little too public for my comfort! His father spoke with him about it, explained that it was a normal part of growing up but not something that should be done in public (in your son's case shared with someone other than your mate). We didn't make a big issue of it and our son never took it as being a big issue. I'm probably in the minority here but I see this as normal experimentation. Overreaction will only make it seem dirty and wrong to them. They are not perverts they are kids! I also do not think its an indicator of hetero or homosexual orientation. He and his friend were just doing something that felt good! Do I think the other parents should be contacted? Yes, I do but only because its their place to discuss it in relation to their values with their son!
Apparently this child has had numerous partners already.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Apparently this child has had numerous partners already.
Didn't read that anywhere...did I miss something?!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
but what about the other kid? He will walk away from this with no parental guidance, whatsoever. Just another thing to consider.
Please read my answer again. I DO think the other parents need to be told.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Didn't read that anywhere...did I miss something?!
Yep. I've changed my opinion a couple of times after reading through this thread.

Given the information that I've read from the OP, I would be really concerned that my child might be behaving this way because he's already been molested by an adult.

Children are naturally inquisitive but at age 11 this boy seems...

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-30-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
I am concerned about his involvement with OTHER children. And even more concerned about his parents unwillingness to let the other parents know what happened.

He crossed a line when OTHER CHILDREN became involved.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting