Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:13 PM

10 posts, read 58,936 times

Advertisements

How important is it to have kids the same age living on your street? I found two houses, one is really nice with TONS of kids the same age as mine (1 1/2 & 3 yo) on the same block, and the other house is nicer, but has no kids at all nearby. I work and really like the idea of not having to go far to meet other moms with kids the same age. But is that a "real" enough reason to tip one house in favor of the other? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I think it depends on the neighborhood. There are a lot of kids on my block, of all ages, but honestly none of the kids really hang out with each other. No hard feelings or anything, it's just the way it is. But on other streets in my neighborhood, people are really tight, adults and kids. i don't know if you can judge what the chemistry will be like for years to come.

I don't know if you are still talking about Garden City, but if you are I can't believe you found a street with no kids! And if you ARE still talking about GC, don't worry, you'll see kids soon enough.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
I would pick the home/neighborhood I liked best. My children are your children's age and although there are families with children the same age on my block, we don't really mingle, but I do find myself spending time with the mom's and their children from my daughter's pre-school.

Your children will end up developing friendships with children from school and there's no guarantee they're going to like the kids their age on your block.

Besides, I've seen plenty of turnover in my area where there are older couples moving out and younger families moving in, so you never know.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,818 times
I am not sure if Dad's are allowed to answer but I figured it would be OK. I thought about that too when we bought our house 5 years ago. There are a few kids ranging in age on our block but my daughter (who is 5) doesn't play with any of them. However, through Mommy and Me programs, Dance, other activities and now School she has plenty of friends right in our town and the surrounding towns. It would be nice if she could just go to the neighbor's house to play but things are great the way they are (we have become great friends with several of the parents as well). When I grew up in the 70's our parents would send us outside and not see us again until dinner, obviously times have changed.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,706 times
i agree. we have several kids in our neighborhood same age as mine, and we barely hang out together. and when we did, it was because I was inviting them over.I got tired of being the only one organizing stuff for kids, so I let it go. after my kids started kindergarten, their social life picked up. it's sad, but really, you should choose the house and neighborhood you love most.
good luck

Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 AM

659 posts, read 2,518,146 times
I wouldn't choose a home based on families on the block. People come and go and families on the block will change over the years. You want to buy based on the home, not the people around you...they may not be there in 5 years. (Plus, your child may not get along with the other kids on the block or the other families may not be social. You can't force it).

Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Seems silly to base a decision as important as this on people you don't even know. What if they're jerks?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 AM

20,057 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Just remember all young kids become teenagers one day...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just remember all young kids become teenagers one day...

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. My neighborhood was a friggin war zone during the 80's growing up because of all the kids.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM

20,057 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Yeah, they're all cute and cuddly until they're blastin music til all hours of the night drinkin 40's on the front stoop and racing the cars up and down the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting