Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times

Advertisements

There is another little girl with the same problems that was in the news not too long ago. I really feel for the mother of this one. She's on her own. I can't imagine having to live like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
There's a big part of me that agrees with Kev.
Me too. Mental health issues don't mean someone should have no sense of right or wrong. People still make choices and this girl is testing and if no one makes sure she understands in no uncertain terms that it's wrong, then they can't be surprised when she acts out on this.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Me too. Mental health issues don't mean someone should have no sense of right or wrong. People still make choices and this girl is testing and if no one makes sure she understands in no uncertain terms that it's wrong, then they can't be surprised when she acts out on this.
I agree that some of the behavior in the video of this girl seems that she should be able to control it, but there's something in her eyes that screams coldness.

People overcompensate for kid's behavior most of the time and kids play into that. The answer is always meds instead of expectations and a good old fashioned spanking.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Scizophrenia is a real and serious condition. I'm usually not an advocate of meds, but people with scizophrenia need a very serious treatment and medication.
If in fact this child is scizophrenic - a good old spanking will do absolutely nothing to improve her behavior.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I agree that some of the behavior in the video of this girl seems that she should be able to control it, but there's something in her eyes that screams coldness.

People overcompensate for kid's behavior most of the time and kids play into that. The answer is always meds instead of expectations and a good old fashioned spanking.
I think this article kind of plays up the worst stereotypes people have of the mentally ill. The belief that the mentally ill have no will at all, no control, no sense of right and wrong, and must be given some magic pill and that's all that can be done.

My cousin is a paranoid schizophrenic who got very bad but with a great psychiatrist that helped her see she could control her own behavior and with medications, she's able to work for a living and live independently. She's not a dangerous person, she knows right from wrong, but she has to deal with an illness.

These people like all of us still have will, they are not just out-of-control killers. They may hear voices that come from inside their own heads and wake up screaming in the night, usually if they're dangerous, it's their own paranoid fear of someone who they think wants to hurt them, not that they want to hurt someone otherwise.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I think this article kind of plays up the worst stereotypes people have of the mentally ill. The belief that the mentally ill have no will at all, no control, no sense of right and wrong, and must be given some magic pill and that's all that can be done.

My cousin is a paranoid schizophrenic who got very bad but with a great psychiatrist that helped her see she could control her own behavior and with medications, she's able to work for a living and live independently. She's not a dangerous person, she knows right from wrong, but she has to deal with an illness.

These people like all of us still have will, they are not just out-of-control killers. They may hear voices that come from inside their own heads and wake up screaming in the night, usually if they're dangerous, it's their own paranoid fear of someone who they think wants to hurt them, not that they want to hurt someone otherwise.
I dated a guy for a short time who is paranoid schizophrenic. He had been in Viet Nam. He heard voices and saw faces in the ceiling of his room and the family kitchen.

We only went out a couple of times, but he later married a woman who has three little kids. He's doing quite well from what I've heard.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I actually watched the show and it is NOT bad behavior. They would see things as babies. You can't deny that is abnormal. The girl found a med that worked for her. But before that she obviously had a mental illness. They did not behave badly. They behaved weirdly. I feel so bad for the families that have to deal with this.

Back when they though mice came from sweaty shirts they probably killed a lot of mentally ill kids "beating the demons out". And if the childhood mental illness is brought on by decay in the brain as was mentioned theory, additional stress and physical trauma would only increase that.

Slitting your wrists at 8 years old is not "bad behavior". Its mentally ill to the highest degree.

And sadly, some of these kids grow up to become the violent, criminally insane. It is a "no win" situation where all the time/energy is geared toward trying to prevent the young child from hurting themselves and others.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
The other girl that is not in the clip scared me even more. She was screaming at her parents to take her dogs out of her room because she thought she would hurt them. She was crying and curled in a ball. She was not mouthing off at anyone. She was begging for "him" to stop. ("him" = one of her hallucinations )

When the mother mentioned she did not know what she would do when she turned 18..that gave me chills. This person can just be out there on the streets without help.

That "cold" glare to the eyes can come from being on meds. If you even look at most people who are not this mentally ill but on meds there is a bit of glassy cold gloss to the eye.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
The other girl that is not in the clip scared me even more. She was screaming at her parents to take her dogs out of her room because she thought she would hurt them. She was crying and curled in a ball. She was not mouthing off at anyone. She was begging for "him" to stop. ("him" = one of her hallucinations )

When the mother mentioned she did not know what she would do when she turned 18..that gave me chills. This person can just be out there on the streets without help.

That "cold" glare to the eyes can come from being on meds. If you even look at most people who are not this mentally ill but on meds there is a bit of glassy cold gloss to the eye.
Without turning this into a religious discussion, I have always believed that windows are indeed the eyes to the soul. That empty glassy stare can come from those not on any meds either. The ones I see it in have been/are sociopaths.

It is that thing that tells me to get away quickly from that person. That they are dangerous....that primitive sense of survival when face to face with a potentially dangerous person.

I cannot fathom the strength it takes to be the parent of such a child.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:

This particular classification of mental illness has a high rate of violence on themselves or others. These kids also know right from wrong and stated so in the special. Also meds stop working on people sometimes or people stop taking meds because they think they are better and then a break happens.

This illness is not at all like any other mental illness. I do think they can not control themselves without meds. And it can be hard to find the right med mix and therapist. Your cousin is lucky! Glad to hear she is doing alright. Many people do not have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting