Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Isn't 12 years old a little young to be babysitting??

It would be for me.

yeah really !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Personally I think 12 is a tad young to be baby sitting but I know that 12y.o. do it.

I think that he should put the kid to bed. AT the kids normal bed time. Even if that includes changes diapers or giving the kid a bath. To me if you cant trust the sitter 110% then don't have them. Get someone you do trust. Maybe I am too trusting, but I have never had any reason not to trust our sitters but they are always someone we know.

When you engage the baby sitter, you should tell them what you want done and how you want it done. We read to our kids after they go to bed. We tell our baby sitters that we want them to do the same. We tell them what time. We tell them what duties the kids have. We tell them what the kids have to do like bath/teeth/toilet/bed. We tell them if the kids are supposed to be doing homework, house work or whatever.

I would think for a 12y.o., they would not have much experience and you should be more precise than with an older sitter.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:30 PM

8 posts, read 12,754 times
like some had earlier said in her write ....i would like to everyone know that age is but counting of number, the most paramount thing is the person in question be it 13,15, 18, 20 ......etc. once the person is mature and sensitive ...

if a 12yrs old is mature then its a good option to take ..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
When I was 12 years old I had the corner on the entire babysitting industry in my neighborhood. I was very tall for my age, and I don't think the parents always realized how young I was, but I was the best sitter around and the kids always asked their parents for me.

I also took care of infants. I was the fourth of seven kids, and my mother taught me to change a diaper without sticking the baby and warm a bottle and rock a baby to sleep when my brother was born when I was eight (that was in the days of real diapers, with pins and rubber pants.) I got another baby brother to practice on when I was 11.

I babysat regularly for kids of all different ages from the time I was 12 until I was around 15 and got a job at a drycleaners off the books.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
I'm really surprised by so many of these responses. Anytime you leave your child you're taking a risk. There's no one perfect babysitter no matter the age. There are no guarantees. You go with your gut and hope it doesn't fail you. I personally think not only do you need to consider how responsible the babysitter is but how well behaved and ready is your child. If you feel good with both of these you're more than likely not going to have a problem.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Well, the thread is from 2007, so the babysitter is now 16 and hopefully they've solved the problem.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
My mom left me with babysitters a lot when I was a kid. None were as young as 12, but they were all teenagers, 14-17 year old girls. They were expected to enforce bedtime. One sitter let me stay up late and I'll never forget how angry my mom was when she came home and saw me up. She never used that sitter again!

I remember sometimes I would test a new babysitter and see if I could get away with staying up past my bedtime. While I didn't like it when the sitter was firm, I felt respect for her if she was.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
well, the thread is from 2007, so the babysitter is now 16 and hopefully they've solved the problem.
:d

Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Do you think at a 13 age should be able her watch her brothers age 6 n 1 and a sister age 8 months old she loves to help me with them . I have been letting her help me more with them.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother of five View Post
Do you think at a 13 age should be able her watch her brothers age 6 n 1 and a sister age 8 months old she loves to help me with them . I have been letting her help me more with them.
You will get more responses if you start a new thread. Do I understand right, that the siblings are 6, 1, and 8 months? In any case, it depends on the kids, both the one babysitting, and the ones she is watching, and how long you will be gone. I'd probably leave a 13 year old with maybe one younger sibling, but maybe not 3, especially with 2 being so young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting