Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:30 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,436 times

Advertisements

out of necessity.
Will my son ever **** in the potty. It has been almost a month since we started potty training and he's pretty much got the pee thing down. He'll even hold it in his diaper till he can go. But the poooooooooooo........oh the poooooooooo! He absolutely freaks when I try to sit him on the potty if he's pooing. Does anyonw have any experience here? Any ideas that worked for them? Will he ever go? Oh my goodness....it is not fun changing poopy underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 07:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,199,037 times
Trust me on this, by the time he gets to college, he will have learned how.

But seriously, has he had a movement that hurt him? Perhaps he remembers and holds it back until he can't any more. It really sounds as if he has been frighten by it somehow. Let him be for awhile and maybe he will forget what it was.

How old is he? Is this a potty or a potty seat on the toilet? I ask because I can remember the horror of having to sit on the potty. I just knew that 'stuff' would somehow get on my bottom. I didn't mind doing it on the big toilet at all. Just the potty.

We got one grandchild trained.....he was w-a-a-ay too old to mess his pants. He just didn't seem to care and couldn't be bothered to go when he had the urge. Finally, I started "Your daddy poo-poos in the toilet. Papa poo-poos in the toilet, uncle Tom poo-poos in the toilet,...." I named every man I could think of including the mailman and his minister. Finally, he asked, "Uncle Tom poo-poos in the toilet?" Anyway, it worked. I guess Uncle Tom was his guilding light.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,436 times
What?! My p o o p was starred out. How funny!!. Thanks for the advice Padgett. I just hope it doesn't take till college.
He's 3 and a bit. He goes on the big toilet.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
I never really trained my son because he had zero interest and was perfectly happy using diapers. (He was daytime trained at the daycare, however.) So I just told him I'll change your diapers until your 4th birthday and then that's it. You are on your own. And that's what happened and it worked. He wet the bed about 3 times when he was 5 or so, but that was the only toilet related problem I had after the 4th birthday. I talked it up A LOT from 3 and a half on.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:04 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
He'll go when he's ready. Try not to get in a tizzy out about it. You think being out of diapers will be the greatest thing in the world til you're at the grocery store with a full cart and hear "Mama. I have to go number 2. Now!!!"

My daughter got the p e e thing down but when she needed to p o o p she'd run from one spot to another, straining a bit at each stop and denying that she was having to go. But, eventually it worked itself out. (Pun intended.)

Just be patient and keep talking about it with him. Don't be afraid to bribe if you think it will help. For my brother it took a firetruck my mom got with green stamps....

Old 06-24-2007, 10:10 PM

350 posts, read 1,523,517 times
Maybe you've already tried this, but here's my two cents: I had a similar problem with my son when I potty trained him at 2.5. He peed fine, but refused to poo in the potty. I finally brought out the big guns - chocolate. I told him, if you poo in the potty, you get a piece of chocolate. I would get one of those bite-sized Hershey bars and cut it up into tiny squares - M&M's would work, too - and give him one little piece each time he did it, so he wasn't getting too much. Maybe chocolate wouldn't work for your son, but whatever the greatest reinforcer would be, offer it to him. Make him an offer he can't refuse!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,304,946 times
We had the same frustration with our daughter and I remember reading somewhere to simply stop making such a big deal out of it because the refusal to go **** in the toilet may just be a "power struggle issue".

Well, it sounded kind of odd, but we heeded the advice and just stopped doting on her about whether she went **** in the toilet. I guess the theory is that instead of NOT going **** in the toilet as a means of getting attention perhaps it turns the tables on them. (???) Well lo and behold, Thanksgiving Day after she'd just turned three everyone was busy hustling and bustling about doing thier "food chores" and she comes running into the kitchen announcing that she went poopie in the toilet and sure enough she had......

So anyway, it'll happen. I think these days parents get caught up in some kind of competition on thier children reaching milestones and we've learned it's good to listen to the majority to at least gauge what your child maybe should be doing, but to not get caught up in it and stress over items that you know will happen in time.

Edit: I'm sorry, but now we're filtering the word p-o-o-p ??? That's hysterical!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
Our oldest son was 4 before he would **** in the potty. He would ask for a diaper and was so regular that we could time it.

Dont worry, he will do it when he is ready. He didnt go to K wearing diapers.

He is 8 now. Then it took him ages to clean himself. Eventually at age 7 I gave him wet wipes and never looked back.

dorothy

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,199,037 times
There are a million stories about this... I just remembered one about our oldest. He couldn't be bothered about stopping whatever he was doing to tend to business. Nasty diapers or training pants didn't bother him one bit. One day, my aunt was visiting and he did the deed. She looked at him and said in a stern voice, "don't you know that you aren't supposed to do that in your pants?" He looked at her and sweetly said, "I'm not????" And that was the end of the problem.

Somehow or other, I apparently just hadn't gotten through to him. It only took a word from someone else to explain the situation.

I think being a boy has a lot to do with it. Girls seem to be more bothered by being yucky.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 AM

504 posts, read 1,765,141 times
Dr Phil had a show on how to potty train, you may want to look it up. I thought it was a joke, not a big fan of Dr. Phil, but I have two girlfriends who tried it, and it worked, has to do with having a party for the child.
I think children can learn a lot younger than they do. When parents had to clean diapers, children were potty trained a lot younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting