Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 12,883 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post here, so I apologize if this question has been asked before. I didnt see anything upon doing a search.

I'm in the market for my family's second home. We currently live in the Plymouth Township area of Montgomery County. We like the area but need something bigger due to an expanding family. Property up here is ridiculously over-priced, and anything you do find in your range up here is usually anywhere from 30-50 years old.

I work in Center City as well. it's not a bad commute about 35-40 minutes on the R5.

We've been looking for a couple months and finally came upon the Downingtown/Thorndale area. Although the real estate taxes seemed a bit high, the prices were a lot more in line with what we're looking for. You get a lot more for your money out there. we specifically liked a home we found at the Reserves at Bailey Station, it's a big house on a hill not too far from Rte 30 and the Thorndale train station. it's technically considered to be in Downingtown. Area looks nice, a lot of retail close by and a nice new neighborhood split between new homes and condos. A lot of golf courses close by too.

does anyone know anything about this area? are the schools OK? would this be downingtonw or coatesville school district? Is it close to any shady areas? I know it's not all too far from Coatesville, but I'm not sure if it's close to one of the bad areas of Coatesville, as parts of that town look nice.

Any insight you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,908 times
Check out the homes for sale in the area as many are on the market. Its a buyers mkt. Must be 15 homes within 2miles of mine. Not sure of Bailey Station quality.Downingtown has better schools right now. Cville isnt bad if you stay out of town at nite. Lots of parks, local or Hibernia Park and Marsh Creek Park are close.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:20 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Thorndale is in Coatesville School district. My daughter went to pre-school there many years ago when we lived in West Bradford township. West Bradford is part of Downingtown School District and between the borough of Downingtown and West Chester. Sprawl started happening while we were living there 15 years ago.

The kids that live in Thorndale go to Caln elementary. You can check out it's stats on Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters There is a reason that houses are less expensive in Coatesville school district.

It looks like the address of Reserves at Bailey Station is in Downingtown, so it may well be in the Downingtown School District. I would just make a quick call to the realtor/builder to find that out- it makes a big difference.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 13,895 times
i moved to wbandywine in 06 and i am on the border of dtown and cville sdistrict. ofcourse i am in cville. is there any way i can change to dtown? does anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania