Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,256 times

Advertisements

It is called the union mentality. If you want to live in PA, then you have to deal with it 24/7. A Blue state cuts itself off from revenue and government jobs? Never going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM

88 posts, read 270,739 times
I never had a problem with it either. It is not like we have a shortage of beer distributers.

Like most things in life, you just have to know where to go. Many pizza places have carry-out single cans and six packs. $2 for a 24oz can sounds reasonable to me.

Anyways, what kind of fairy prancing princess only drinks a beer or two? If you don't have to ask for assistance when loading your vehicle with booze, you ain't drinking. And distributers have all the best jacks, dollies, and forklifts

Old 09-20-2010, 05:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
It is called the union mentality. If you want to live in PA, then you have to deal with it 24/7. A Blue state cuts itself off from revenue and government jobs? Never going to happen.
Hasn't Pennsylvania shed government jobs since 2000?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 PM

45,392 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Just to throw in having lived in both states. MD has beer sales at convenience and some grocery stores (that's under a special tourist license) and package stores that carry beer, spirits and wine. These would all generally be non-union jobs. I find no lower prices here and, in fact, the prices are generally higher across the board for all alcohols. I doubt that you all pay $8 for a six pack of Rolling Rock (considered a gourmet beer). Bar prices for drinks are generally twice those in PA.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
harrisburg is assbackwards. the state loses money from the idiotic system. the largest metro, philly has nj and de which have stores that are cheaper for wine/ liquor plus they dont have rude and clueless employees. beer by the case is about the same though, its the wjne drinkers that get the shaft. lots of stores make a mint selling to pennsylvanians. most ppl credit antialcohol central pennsylvanians and unions for it.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
If it's too pricey don't buy it.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
If it's too pricey don't buy it.
Would you mind being more specific about what "it" is?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that the state of Pennsylvania raised the per bottle tax for alcohol last month twenty five cents.

They interviewed bar owners around Pittsburgh and most bar owners said that they will just have to take a loss and eat the tax because some bars has menu's and set prices for their drinks and they cannot afford to change their menu's or offend their customers with this iddly piddly tax.

Here you are complaining that you can't buy beer in the grocery store and they slip a tax increase on you and you don't even notice.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 AM

25 posts, read 58,625 times
I agree with Senior.

And in addition to these ridiculous laws and government run stores, you pay for your purchase AND THEN you pay STATE SALES TAX! . It's infuriating.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 AM

408 posts, read 991,763 times
I find it ridiculous as well and would support any measures against the current laws. Its hard to try new beers when you have to buy a full case of it, or buy a variety pack with a bunch of stuff you know you don't like. Also, if you forget to buy beer a day before a Sunday football game or a holiday, you are in trouble.

The beer distributors have an association which has kept away things like convenience shops from selling 6 packs, but now they are hurting too, because they aren't allowed to sell good like milk, bread, and eggs. They are going to start to face pressure from places like the aforementioned Giant Eagle who are putting "restaurants" inside their grocery stores and applying for a liquor license.

The only thing the laws do that I like is to keep every single corner from becoming a hang out for shadeballs brown-bagging 40s... instead its just come of the corners..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania