Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM

85 posts, read 353,956 times

Advertisements

Need your advice.

What is the best type of housing for a family with 2 young children.

Is a town house or apt or single family house or (any other?) a better choice.

From the threads that I have read, it seems like we should stay away from city/downtown areas.

Greatly appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 05:41 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,049 times
What area of PA are you considering?

Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 AM

70 posts, read 233,480 times
I can only tell you about delaware county. You'd be fine in a twin or single here with 2 kids, even some rowhomes/townhomes as they are now called. Plus it depends on what you can afford.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I think that most people would prefer a single home but as metmom says, it's really about what you can afford. Single family homes are always more expensive then rowhomes with the following exceptions - if they are way out in the country, if they need extensive repairs or if they are in a very bad part of town. Townhouses suggest newer rowhomes. In fact, I think the town houses in my township (less then 5 years old) are well over $200,000. The rowhomes in the borough are probably about half of that.

A realtor will tell you that the three most important things about buying a home are location, location, location. You can have a wonderful house but if it's in a bad school district or a known high crime area it won't be pleasant to live in or easy to sell.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:41 PM

33 posts, read 239,393 times
Townhomes...
When I think of town homes, i think of the word low-maintenance... Theyre usually well-kept, well-lit & clean. They usually have a monthly association fee which covers landscaping, exterior property maintenance, shoveling sidewalks in winter, etc. Basically all u need to worry about is the stuff inside the house & in the driveway (your car ) Cutting down on these things allows for more time for family. Also with children in the house, you will need 2 bathrooms and as much square feet as u can find! Make sure your development/apartment has a park or play area for the children.

Apartments...
Lowest maintenance (usually everything is covered by your lease) but you have shady neighbors, smaller square-footage, a cramped feeling, and a lot of times - low pride in ownership. In my area, we have Apartments and we have Luxury Apartments, the luxury ones have a much nicer crowd than the cheaper ones.

Above all, I think the most important thing to consider is location: You wanna be in a good school district & close to shopping (especially the grocery store).

Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
See what amenities the neighborhood offers also. Some places will have a pool or playground for your children.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out a decent city/downtown area. If it's nice, with good schools and a park nearby, it could be great for your family.

Bottom line - you have to go and see for yourself.

(My personal preference is a single family home with a nice big yard in a nice neighborhood in a good school district.)

Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
But this poster (kmom) is looking at Allentown and Bethlehem. Neither have good schools.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But this poster (kmom) is looking at Allentown and Bethlehem. Neither have good schools.
It doesn't say that in the original post. I guess I missed something along the way somewhere. Story of my life...

Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 AM

85 posts, read 353,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

Wow toobusytoday, you have great memory! Looks like Allentown and Bethlehem is out.

Dawen, you didn't miss anything. toobusytoday recalled my much earlier posting

Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 AM

21 posts, read 72,380 times
Default what type of Mom you are counts too!

Kmom, With me, since my husband works on the road and we are in different types of places all the time, I would say single family/yard. It also depends on you. I am the type of Mom that thrives when I can put the kids in the yard. I get crazed by the end of the day in apartments, and the kids thrive with more space interior as well, more choices, beyond going to TV and computer for entertainment: especially because I don't have much time for one on one with them to keep them focused in smaller places. Maybe I am a bad Mom, but I use the exterior a lot and when we don't have it they are not as creative somehow. I DO go out to parks, museums, walking in the woods if we are in smaller homes, but that takes effort too, and if you are not that type to get out, if makes a difference in what you need. Good luck and think about yourself and what you want to create for them and you. Honestly, I am not big on excellent school systems when they are toddlers, it is about home life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania