Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 10:20 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

While I love everything about living in "America's Most Livable City" a part of me wants to return to my country roots for a Fall foliage getaway in Tioga County (Northern Tier).

I have a few questions:

1.) When does "peak foliage" occur in Tioga County? Is it the last week of September? First week of October?

2.) Does anyone have any cottage rental recommendations? My partner and I are both 24 (and both will be turning 25 within weeks of our intended stay, which should give us some leverage for those cabins with policies stating guests must be 25+ to reserve a room). I'm looking for a 2-night or 3-night stay, and I'm looking to spend no more than $150/night (not including tax). Some places that piqued my interest include:

Trailside Cottage Rental

http://blackwellcottages.tripod.com/cottages.htm

http://www.pavisnet.com/cottageinthewoods/

I would prefer "rustic" (i.e. a log cabin with just a bedroom or two, indoor plumbing, electric, refrigerator, and cell phone service would be ideal) as opposed to "modern". I'd also prefer a location OUTSIDE of the town proper of Wellsboro---someplace west along U.S. Route 6 towards the PA Grand Canyon would be superb. Also, innkeepers who would be LGBT-friendly would be ideal. I saw several cottage web sites replete with Biblical passages, and while we're both Christian we also fear that innkeepers who are so "overtly" Christian would not take kindly to renting to a same-sex couple (I do realize Tioga County is heavily GOP).

3.) Any good places to eat? The Wellsboro Diner is on our to-do list. We're not the fancy types. I'm happy with burgers, and he's happy with any dish that has chicken. Maybe a nice pasta meal one of the nights for dinner would suit us. I love seafood (my partner detests it), so maybe a place that serves "surf 'n turf" also?

4.) The quickest route from Pittsburgh, per Mapquest, is to take Route 28 North to I-80 East to Route 220 North to Route 287 North. I was considering instead taking I-79 North all the way to Route 6 East in the Edinboro area. Is there enough to see/do in McKean, Warren, and Potter Counties to justify this excursion, or should we just stick to the fastest route?

5.) Any nightlife in Wellsboro? We're not expecting some sort of glamorous night club, but what about a karaoke bar? Dinner theater? Drive-in theater? How about miniature golf courses? Any good ice cream parlors? Where could we rent kayaks?

Any and all additional insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Peak foliage, depends, anywhere from last of september thru october 20. I have found it variable here, some years great, some pretty lame. Last 2 years have been great. Started getting vibrant color early September with some trees turning later and running until the beginning of November in town.

In terms of the cottages, so much has been turned upside down by the gas well drilling, I don't know what is available or not. I think there is another one called the rustic cut lodge or something like that.

People up here are, yes, conservative on politics, culture and religion, but when renting a cabin, I don't think it's necessary to tell your life story or your business, I know I don't, but that is up to you.

Food, well there are plenty of places to eat. What I find here locally is that everyone has their favorites with a wide difference of opinion on things. All I can tell you is what I like or what family likes.

Timeless Destination- what I like at timeless is their pizza and sandwiches. Some like their entrees.
Wellsboro House- overall I have been happy with their food across the menu.
The Steak House- food was always good, but haven't been there in a while
Native Bagel- good sandwiches for lunch

Probably the place I eat the most is Tony's. He bakes his own sub bread twice a day and has the best fries around, good salads, nice pizza.

Lambs Creek Inn in Mansfield, I thought was alright. Manor Hotel at Slate Run is alright.

A lot of people like the Antlers but have yet to eat there.

In Williamsport there is an excellent BBQ place now called ACME BBQ. And an excellent Thai place called Joy Thai.

Wellsboro Diner changed ownership a few years ago. It's kind of the town tourist trap. Haven't eaten there in ages. One thing in agreement is prices are high for what you get and some people like the food a lot, some don't.

Nightlife in Wellsboro, hah! Wellsboro is pretty dead on weekday nights and slightly alive on weekend nights. There is the artsy fartsy theatre which I don't know their schedule for plays and performances and such, but it's next to the native bagel. There is also the refurbed 70 year old movie theater in town.

Some of the bars can get rowdy on weekend nights. With the gas well workers here, listening to the police scanner on weekend nights can be entertaining. Seems like there is always someone getting punched in the nose at the Gaslight.

You gotta remember there are only 3000 permanent residents here, so what we have is pretty impressive.

Miniature golf course is across from McDonalds in Wellsboro.

The ice cream place in town closes up beginning of October. There is also one in Mansfield and one at Middlebury Center on 287.

Kayaks, Pine Creek Outfitters. Pine Creek will likely not be navigable. Check the water level on their website. If the water level isn't 2.5 feet or higher, I would not bother with Pine Creek and it will be damn cold anyways. However you can kayak at Hills Creek State Park at the lake. They rent kayaks now, but that closes on labor day.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
Though I've never used it for that area, we've always had good luck with vrbo for lodging.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
While I love everything about living in "America's Most Livable City" a part of me wants to return to my country roots for a Fall foliage getaway in Tioga County (Northern Tier).

I have a few questions:

1.) When does "peak foliage" occur in Tioga County? Is it the last week of September? First week of October?

2.) Does anyone have any cottage rental recommendations? My partner and I are both 24 (and both will be turning 25 within weeks of our intended stay, which should give us some leverage for those cabins with policies stating guests must be 25+ to reserve a room). I'm looking for a 2-night or 3-night stay, and I'm looking to spend no more than $150/night (not including tax). Some places that piqued my interest include:

Trailside Cottage Rental

Blackwell Cottages Rental Listings

Cottage in the Woods Vacation rental

I would prefer "rustic" (i.e. a log cabin with just a bedroom or two, indoor plumbing, electric, refrigerator, and cell phone service would be ideal) as opposed to "modern". I'd also prefer a location OUTSIDE of the town proper of Wellsboro---someplace west along U.S. Route 6 towards the PA Grand Canyon would be superb. Also, innkeepers who would be LGBT-friendly would be ideal. I saw several cottage web sites replete with Biblical passages, and while we're both Christian we also fear that innkeepers who are so "overtly" Christian would not take kindly to renting to a same-sex couple (I do realize Tioga County is heavily GOP).

3.) Any good places to eat? The Wellsboro Diner is on our to-do list. We're not the fancy types. I'm happy with burgers, and he's happy with any dish that has chicken. Maybe a nice pasta meal one of the nights for dinner would suit us. I love seafood (my partner detests it), so maybe a place that serves "surf 'n turf" also?

4.) The quickest route from Pittsburgh, per Mapquest, is to take Route 28 North to I-80 East to Route 220 North to Route 287 North. I was considering instead taking I-79 North all the way to Route 6 East in the Edinboro area. Is there enough to see/do in McKean, Warren, and Potter Counties to justify this excursion, or should we just stick to the fastest route?

5.) Any nightlife in Wellsboro? We're not expecting some sort of glamorous night club, but what about a karaoke bar? Dinner theater? Drive-in theater? How about miniature golf courses? Any good ice cream parlors? Where could we rent kayaks?

Any and all additional insight would be greatly appreciated!

Indoor plumbing would be "modern". Many of the cabins you can rent in the State Parks have a bath house in proximity.

Pennsylvania State Parks - Cook Forest - PA DCNR

Cook Forest Cabins | Cabin Rentals | Clear Creek Cabins

MacBeths Cabins adjacent to Cook Forest State Park Pennsylvania

Not Tioga County but closer to you and damned near as remote.

Either of the routes you listed will take you through miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. It would be better to take 28 to 80 if you go that way and pick up 80 at Clarion or Brookville (it's shorter) rather than doing 79 to 6. The next para takes you to 6, which you can access from Clarion/Brookville.

At Clarion you could pick up 66 through Marienville to Kane where you get on 6 which takes you through small towns like Smethport, Port Allegheny, Coudersport and Potato City, among others. This route takes you through the Allegheny National Forest. Be aware there is a lot of truck traffic on this route now, especially past Coudersport, due to the boom in gas drilling.

Travel time from Clarion/Brookville to Wellsboro (actually I go a bit north to Blossberg so this is my time to there) taking 66/6 is about 3 hours. Taking 80/220 is about 2 1/2 hours.

A neat side trip from 6 is The Winery at Wilcox, which is about 15 miles south of Kane off 6.

You don't know what a pain it was for me to remember these route numbers, I grew up there and didn't need to know them.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-30-2011 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: had to leave then came back

Old 07-30-2011, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,240 times
Just a couple quick thoughts:

- Don't count on cell service. It is patchy all throughout Tioga County, but west of the canyon is really bad. Sprint doesn't cover at all, A&T is bad, and Verizon has the best network but it's got big gaps, especially when you're in a valley. Besides, you're on vacation, you shouldn't be checking your email. ;-)

- From your food preference descriptions, it sounds like Timeless would be your best option. I think Cast & Crew in Mansfield is the best (public) restaurant in the county - interesting, creative food, big portions and very casual.

-The Gas Light, 83 Main and Your Mama's Mug are the "nightlife" spots in Wellsboro. It's always good to check the Burnin' Barrel over in Ansonia - they often have good bands on the weekends and they have an excellent draft selection. Good bar food, too. The Mug allows smoking inside.

Hope you have a great time in Tioga County!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
I would agree the Wellsboro Diner is best skipped, and that it's hard to time peak foliage.

The state park cabins at Hills Creek are nice, relatively modern but not objectionably so, and they won't be filled with gas workers. I realize that's east of Wellsboro and you're looking west towards the "Canyon", which some from SW PA consider less impressive than Ohiopyle's but the Wellsboro tourist folks beat them to the name.

To me the more interesting parts of the Canyon are the waterfalls up the side streams off the rail-trail - ride your bike in, stash it somewhere and walk up the runs. Chuck Dillon's book is good to clue folks in but his idea of a trail is fairly adventurous and often unmarked.

As far as leaf peeping, in prime time there will be many folks about the Leonard Harrison and Colton Point overlook areas. There will be very few in SGL 37 north of Hills Creek but if you hike up over the ridge coming from Hills Creek Lake into the upper valley of Stephenhouse Run you will think yourself in the Adirondacks.

Here's my favored route from western PA: I-80 east to 2nd DuBois exit, PA 255 north to PA 555 east to PA 120 east to PA 872 north to Wharton, right on East Fork Rd/SR 3001 to Cherry Springs, right-hand jog at PA 44 to turn quick left on SR 2002, to US 6 east at Galeton. If you try this better tank up before leaving DuBois. This route passes Benezette with the elk viewing area, and Cherry Springs SP which makes a virtue of being in the middle of nowhere by promoting its dark skies.

An alternative route a fellow in Brockway told me about would be 28 north to US 219 north to Challenge, right on SR 2003 to PA 948 east to PA 255 north to St Marys (home of the Eternal Tap, if you hit it at the right time of day Brewery Tours in PA: Visit the Straub Brewery in St. Marys PA ), PA 120 east to Emporium, PA 155 north to past Sizerville SP, right on SR 3002 to Austin - Sept 30 is the 100th anniversary of the Austin Flood that begat dam safety regulation in PA. http://www.austin2011.com/ - then PA 872 north to hit US 6 east, east of Coudersport but still west of the PA Lumber Museum well west of Galeton Welcome to the Pennsylvania Lumber Museum in Galeton, Pennsylvania

Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
KMU

2 posts, read 3,693 times
Wellsboro is great. Dickens is coming up the first wkend in Dec. Timeless Destination is good restaurant and there are others previously mentioned. There are B & B's and guest houses in WB. The folks there can provide you with info. New guest House (like a B & B but no food). You can cook your own. off street parking. 570-439-2913 Rates on wkend 125 plus tax, 95 on wk nights plus tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania