Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM

28 posts, read 76,181 times

Advertisements

I am aware that I will no longer receive child support payments from the non-custodial parent of my child once she turns 18.
Is there any way the non-custodial parent should still pay if child is a full-time college student?
We were never married, therefore, no divorce decree/child support stating such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrossy View Post
I am aware that I will no longer receive child support payments from the non-custodial parent of my child once she turns 18.
Is there any way the non-custodial parent should still pay if child is a full-time college student?
We were never married, therefore, no divorce decree/child support stating such.
You must have stumbled upon a new definition of the word 'child'. In all seriousness, this did peak my interest and I dug around. Apparently in PA support ends at either 18 or high school graduation.

http://pafamilylaw.foxrothschild.com...cipated-child/

What really made me want to vomit it my mouth while researching this is that four state apparently allow for college CS, and Missouri can enforce it even when a existing CS agreement does not call for it. Lawyers wonder why people hate them, this is why. By law you cannot be compelled to pay for your child's education if you are still married, but some court can order you to do so if divorced? This is seriously twisted. Parental rights end at 18. Unless you are considered a dependent based on some medical disability I don't see what right a court has to order one adult to pay for another adults education.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 02-17-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 AM

28 posts, read 76,181 times
Default Child Support

What is twisted to me is the fact that a man has to pay his wife (who is a functioning adult, capable of earning a living) alimony for life in some cases (although she is not on some medical disability) and he is forced to live in a one bedroom apartment and she gets everything????? yet a child gets set free at 18 in most states. A child or an adult, as you so graciously put it, is supposed to find means to support themselves through full-time college and the non-custodial parent is totally off the hook. This is bull$^@&. Being a single parent and doing the best I can for my daughter, is NOT enough! To me, as long as the child/adult is a full-time student, some form of support should be mandatory.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM

98 posts, read 341,528 times
18 years isnt enough?? God im glad I never had kids Child support sounds like a nightmare.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrossy View Post
What is twisted to me is the fact that a man has to pay his wife (who is a functioning adult, capable of earning a living) alimony for life in some cases (although she is not on some medical disability) and he is forced to live in a one bedroom apartment and she gets everything????? yet a child gets set free at 18 in most states. A child or an adult, as you so graciously put it, is supposed to find means to support themselves through full-time college and the non-custodial parent is totally off the hook. This is bull$^@&. Being a single parent and doing the best I can for my daughter, is NOT enough! To me, as long as the child/adult is a full-time student, some form of support should be mandatory.
So if a "child" is 40 years old and decides to go back to school should their 70 year old dad have to come out of retirement to fully support him? Your logic is laughable and just another sign of the complete lack of responsibility among today's adults. As a parent you have no legal responsibility to support a non-disabled child after they turn 18. Making a special exception just because the child parents are divorced is legally reprehensible.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM

89 posts, read 251,863 times
God..really? 18 years of free money not enough for you??? Sore subject with me...but if the dad is meeting his obligations...geez.....thank goodness Pennsylvania has common sense to cut the child off at 18...she is an adult then....I feel sorry for the dads that HAVE to pay during college years...enough is enough....

Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
So if a "child" is 40 years old and decides to go back to school should their 70 year old dad have to come out of retirement to fully support him? Your logic is laughable and just another sign of the complete lack of responsibility among today's adults. As a parent you have no legal responsibility to support a non-disabled child after they turn 18. Making a special exception just because the child parents are divorced is legally reprehensible.
Wow nrossy....you and all the women who "think" just like you is what is making me want to vomit..I am a woman...if I had a child out of wedlock...I WOULD HAVE SUPPORTED THEM ON MY OWN....sadly, you had a choice if you had this child or not...

By the way, Velvet Jones..thanks for the response...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
If the father has the financial mean to help pay for college, then he should do so without being forced by the courts. But there are way too many deadbeats out there who don't put their kids first.

I don't think it should be forced, since even if the parents are still married and have custody they're not forced by law to pay for college, so why should divorced parents be forced to pay for it?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
God..really? 18 years of free money not enough for you??? Sore subject with me...but if the dad is meeting his obligations...geez.....thank goodness Pennsylvania has common sense to cut the child off at 18...she is an adult then....I feel sorry for the dads that HAVE to pay during college years...enough is enough....
Free money?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
If the father has the financial mean to help pay for college, then he should do so without being forced by the courts. But there are way too many deadbeats out there who don't put their kids first.

I don't think it should be forced, since even if the parents are still married and have custody they're not forced by law to pay for college, so why should divorced parents be forced to pay for it?

I am sorry Mr. Yuk but I do not feel a man is a deadbeat dad if he pays his support for 18 years...I think enough is enough....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania