Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM

28 posts, read 40,106 times

Advertisements

I want to pop in and say hello to everyone. If you want to figure me out, drop by the smattering of information that's in my profile page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM

28 posts, read 40,106 times
Bump, I figure I'd talk a bit about Erie. It is a declining area in desperate need of repair. That sums things up. I only wish more people would move into our area so we can grow and thrive again. What does everybody think?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,863,052 times
As a new resident of Erie, I would have to agree with your assessment of the city of Erie, but as a whole the Erie County area seems to be doing moderately well. I believe the last census showed that Erie County gained a few residents, but nothing major like some of the cities in the South. I live in the city of Erie, but I have noticed many residents have moved to Millcreek, Summit Township, Fairview, and Harborcreek. It seems that the local feeling overall is that the city is somehow "bad" and everyone wants to move further and further away. One of my co-workers actually commutes from Ripley, Ny, which I think is a little crazy, but I try to listen to and understand his rationale. I am hoping some of the projects like the new townhomes on Peach Street in the city and the re-development of the GAF property will increase people's desire to move back to the city.

It is rather frustrating having to drive to many of the outlying suburbs and areas for me because there is very little shopping in the city. There are some great places to get lunch and dinner, but very few places to do a little grocery shopping or or buy clothes, etc. I actually went to the L. Press store a few times when I first moved here, but I just found out it recently closed and they also closed the Erie Sports Store that was on State Street. It is getting harder and harder to do any local shopping in downtown Erie. Erie is a nice place with very nice people, but the anti-city trend is definitely hurting the area. Not many cities the size of Erie still have two Fortune 500 companies (GE and Erie Insurance), but I think the main growth areas in Erie are higher education and healthcare. This are just the ramblings of a new resident to the area so take what I say with a grain of salt and it is good to see another Erie poster on the forum.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,710,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpa View Post
Bump, I figure I'd talk a bit about Erie. It is a declining area in desperate need of repair. That sums things up. I only wish more people would move into our area so we can grow and thrive again. What does everybody think?
I lived most of my life in Erie. If my wife and I could make the kind of money we do in Pittsburgh, we'd be back in a second.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
It is rather frustrating having to drive to many of the outlying suburbs and areas for me because there is very little shopping in the city. There are some great places to get lunch and dinner, but very few places to do a little grocery shopping or or buy clothes, etc.
Really? You've got Topps on the east and west side of the city, along with Quality Markets on Liberty and a Wal Mart Super Center within the city limits. Along with Wegmans on Peach and on West Ridge Road. What more could you want?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpa View Post
I want to pop in and say hello to everyone.
Hello. Not sure if I agree with your assessment of Erie as "declining" or not but for decades it's been one step forward, one step back. Kinda frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
It seems that the local feeling overall is that the city is somehow "bad" and everyone wants to move further and further away.
I grew up in the suburbs, and most of my friends stayed there; a few live in the city, but not many, and they're the ones without kids.

Quote:
It is rather frustrating having to drive to many of the outlying suburbs and areas for me because there is very little shopping in the city. There are some great places to get lunch and dinner, but very few places to do a little grocery shopping or or buy clothes, etc.
Usually if I'm shopping in the city, it's at second hand and thrift shops. I took my mom out to Arthur F. Schulz last month, and was (pleasantly) surprised it hadn't moved out to Peach Street or wherever.

Have you been to Kraus Department Store on Parade Street? It's like stepping back in time. I shopped there a lot when I worked at a bank at the corner of 12th and Parade (now a drug store ). It's more of a hardware store now than general merchandise, but it is still a very cool place.

http://www.krausdeptstore.com/files/53439360.pdf

Quote:
I actually went to the L. Press store a few times when I first moved here, but I just found out it recently closed
Oh, that bums me out! L. Press was an institution.

Quote:
It is getting harder and harder to do any local shopping in downtown Erie.
To be honest, I haven't really scouted out downtown in a long while, and only then to go to Smuggler's or Scotty's; about five or six years ago we were in town for Celebrate Erie, and while that was a lot of fun, it doesn't advance the retail aspect of downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
If my wife and I could make the kind of money we do in Pittsburgh, we'd be back in a second.
I'm not opposed to the idea of moving back. I know I won't make the salary I do here in Philadelphia, but then again the cost of living won't be so outrageous, either. The hard part is finding a job.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not opposed to the idea of moving back. I know I won't make the salary I do here in Philadelphia, but then again the cost of living won't be so outrageous, either. The hard part is finding a job.
Unless your career lies in the medical, law, or insurance field, a good paying career is hard to come by in the entire region, except for a few shops that are doing well.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
I'm a fundraiser; there are jobs to be had, but they don't come up that often. So many of the social service nonprofits are run by nuns, and they've got a built-in work force. Maybe I'll join the convent ... LOL.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Really? You've got Topps on the east and west side of the city, along with Quality Markets on Liberty and a Wal Mart Super Center within the city limits. Along with Wegmans on Peach and on West Ridge Road. What more could you want?
I live near Frontier Park so it is much closer to go to Valu King, Giant Eagle, or Wegmans all in Millcreek. I have not seen the Quality Markets, I will look into this more.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hello. Not sure if I agree with your assessment of Erie as "declining" or not but for decades it's been one step forward, one step back. Kinda frustrating.
I grew up in the suburbs, and most of my friends stayed there; a few live in the city, but not many, and they're the ones without kids.
Usually if I'm shopping in the city, it's at second hand and thrift shops. I took my mom out to Arthur F. Schulz last month, and was (pleasantly) surprised it hadn't moved out to Peach Street or wherever.
Have you been to Kraus Department Store on Parade Street? It's like stepping back in time. I shopped there a lot when I worked at a bank at the corner of 12th and Parade (now a drug store ). It's more of a hardware store now than general merchandise, but it is still a very cool place.
http://www.krausdeptstore.com/files/53439360.pdf
Oh, that bums me out! L. Press was an institution.
To be honest, I haven't really scouted out downtown in a long while, and only then to go to Smuggler's or Scotty's; about five or six years ago we were in town for Celebrate Erie, and while that was a lot of fun, it doesn't advance the retail aspect of downtown.
Ohiogirl

I agree with your first point about Erie being pretty static. From the census data it looks like the city of Erie has lost close to 70,000 residents, but many of the suburbs like Millcreek and Fairview have had significant increases in population. I have not tried the Kraus department store and I will definitely go here now that you mentioned it. I always try to shop local whenever possible, but it is challenging in Erie since places like Erie Sports Store have moved all the way out to Upper Peach Street and it is easier to stop at Gander Mountain or Dicks before you even get there. I do admittedly live very far west in Erie so I don't always make it to the places near Glenwood very often since Millcreek is closer. That also reminds me, what is the deal with the West Erie Plaza? That place looks like a ghost town and I am surprised that such a prime piece of real estate could be so incredibly vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania