Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 136,395 times

Advertisements

Hello, IM thinking about moving out of NY but still travel for work there to work.
I hear of the Pocono Mountain gang presence now, I still cant believe it.

What is the closest place to live and still travel, I hear of you can take the NJ transit to work, is it possible? I plan to do this for many years untill retirement.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
The Monroe County area is where alot of people commute to NY. It's a bit crowded there now but you just hop on Rt. 80 and you are in NY in about 2 hours or less.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:30 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytopa View Post
Hello, IM thinking about moving out of NY but still travel for work there to work.

What is the closest place to live and still travel, I hear of you can take the NJ transit to work, is it possible? I plan to do this for many years untill retirement.
Yes, if you live in Bucks County, you have a short drive to Trenton where you can get the NJ Transit, or you can take the SEPTA R7 line (Southeast Pennsylvania Train Authority) to the Trenton Station and switch to the NJ Transit.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 123,670 times
Default Dont Move To Monroe County!

As a former resident, one who was born and raised in Stroudsburg, I implore you NOT to move there, raise a family there, or retire there!

I thankfully moved away when i was 20! We now live and have raised our son in the little town of Gillett, PA. Which is just a hop of 6 miles to Elmira NY (for me). Monroe county is a vile place filled with materialistic snops and former city dwellers who have brought along with them the problems such as drugs, and violence that they wanted to escape.

The schools while new and grand are filled with hateful children, victims of materialistic and morally bankrupt parents. For all that is Holy, stay away from that place.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:04 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
You have your good and bad everywhere. Not all city people are bad, remember that.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 AM

159 posts, read 692,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjlfisher View Post
As a former resident, one who was born and raised in Stroudsburg, I implore you NOT to move there, raise a family there, or retire there!

I thankfully moved away when i was 20! We now live and have raised our son in the little town of Gillett, PA. Which is just a hop of 6 miles to Elmira NY (for me). Monroe county is a vile place filled with materialistic snops and former city dwellers who have brought along with them the problems such as drugs, and violence that they wanted to escape.

The schools while new and grand are filled with hateful children, victims of materialistic and morally bankrupt parents. For all that is Holy, stay away from that place.
Wow. Just wow. This is the stereotype Pennsyltucky native that you have to look forward to if you move here ....

Old 09-30-2006, 07:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
Wow. Just wow. This is the stereotype Pennsyltucky native that you have to look forward to if you move here ....
Awww...turn that frown upside-down! If Scranton was a bit closer to NJ/NYC to make commuting feasible, then I think you'd really like it here! Personally, I've made more friends in the past several years with former New Yorkers and New Jersians than I have with native Pennsylvanians! Now that the NY Yankees will be playing baseball in Scranton, I think you'll see the connection between NEPA and NJ/NYC becoming even closer. There are plans to establish a high-speed commuter rail line between Scranton and Hoboken in the upcoming years, and I look forward to utilizing that so I can have the best of both worlds---The great quality-of-life in Scranton with the great Manhattan salary! I know for a fact that I'd LOVE to welcome you to my neighborhood with open arms, so don't just assume that everyone in PA is "anti-NY/anti-NJ."

However, to an extent, that "Pennsyltuckian" has a valid point. Many of the NY/NJ crowd that's moving to Monroe County is DEMANDING urban change, and now that they are outnumbering the PA natives who valued rural living, tensions are flaring up constantly! If you want to move to Monroe County to "escape the city", then why do you turn around and whine about there not being enough night clubs, Starbucks, big-box stores, superhighways, etc.? Monroe County shifted quickly from becoming a rural hideaway to a bedroom community, and this has caused a lot of anger from native Pennsylvanians, many of whom are now moving to the Scranton area to "escape the New Yorkers!", which, in turn, has been angering some of the Scrantonians who don't like the influx of THESE people either! I'm sure people in North Jersey felt the same way when the NYers took over their communities in the 1960s and 1970s as well; the tensions in Monroe County shall also pass with time!

I, for one, would like to thank you for your interest in PA!

Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 123,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
Tell me about it, I'm from New York and I moved to PA when I was 3. I grew up in East Stroudsburg. 98% of the school had people from NY or NJ. I had no problem with Pennsylvanians but I later realized there were no pennsylvanians where I lived. Then when I turned 14 I moved to Easton, PA. I know live in Downtown Easton. People I know I'm from NY because of my accent and they think that just because your from NY your bringing crime. In Easton there has been a lot of murders in 06 but what makes me laugh is these people from pennsylvania blame people from NY and NJ for their crimes while most of the murders were done by people from Easton born and raised.

The cloest place to live in PA and work in NY would have to either be the Poconos (East Stroudsburg) because you can get right on 80 to get to NY or to live in the Lehigh Vallery (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton Metro Area) all you have to do is go on interstate 78. From Easton its about a hour to NY and from East Stroudsburg its about an 1 hour so its about the same in time length.

Both places in PA aren't that bad, yes theres crime but theres crime in any city. Nothing serious.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 AM

203 posts, read 1,256,153 times
i think it is Pike county- it is northeast county. there is a train to NYC from there. it is the fastest growing county in PA

Old 10-03-2006, 02:38 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytopa View Post

No Pike county. You will KILL yourself commuting.

DD works and commutes to NYC. Pike (even Westfall, Matamoras) is really a wicked commute. Please heed my advice.

Stroudsberg is no gem either.

Live in SE NY - Orange, Rockland or Putnam. If you cannot afford to, then forget this commuting bit, it is wicked expensive and so taxing on your health. PM me if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania