Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,300 times

Advertisements

ok, I've been trying to search for an answer and haven't had any luck finding what I'm looking for.

I'm originally from Jersey (Robbinsville) and lived there for 21 years before my family relocated. Fast forward 4 years and now I am married and looking for a better area to raise a family.

I'm not knocking on Wilmington, NC but it's just not for me. I've tried to make it work here but I just don't like it.

So after long talks and research over the past 3 years my husband (who is also from Jersey) and I decided to move back up north. We don't want to live in Jersey just because it's so expensive. It's nice to visit friends and family, but we'd rather live in PA.

What areas are good, not too expensive and are not out in the boonies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl82 View Post
ok, I've been trying to search for an answer and haven't had any luck finding what I'm looking for.

I'm originally from Jersey (Robbinsville) and lived there for 21 years before my family relocated. Fast forward 4 years and now I am married and looking for a better area to raise a family.

I'm not knocking on Wilmington, NC but it's just not for me. I've tried to make it work here but I just don't like it.

So after long talks and research over the past 3 years my husband (who is also from Jersey) and I decided to move back up north. We don't want to live in Jersey just because it's so expensive. It's nice to visit friends and family, but we'd rather live in PA.

The Harrisburg/York/Lancaster region has a low cost of living with easy access to the major NE metros. The Lehigh Valley is another good option but housing prices are escalating there.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,300 times
I am also looking for a university that offers a history program so that my associates will transfer there.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
There are six four year colleges in the Allentown-Bethlehem- Easton area. These are Lehigh, DeSales and Moravian in Bethlehem/Center Valley, Muhlenberg and Cedar Crest in Allentown and Lafayette in Easton. LVAIC :: Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges I haven't checked but an educated guess tells me that they all offer a history major.

Cost of living is pretty subjective. We're less expensive then California, more expensive then very rural areas. I'm guessing that anyone that responds will tell you that they like their area the best - and that's a good thing! - but you might want to tell us what expensive means to you and anything else that would help narrow down your search.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
York College and Penn State in York or Harrisburg would probably help you finish your degree. Otherwise, Millersville University in Lancaster. York/Lancaster/Harrisburg suburbs all have good quality housing, excellent schools, low cost of living (your $ goes pretty far here) and yet are close enough to highways, airports and major cities. We relocated here from NJ 19 years ago, it takes us about 2-3 hours to get back "home" to Jersey, but we don't miss it a bit.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:49 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Penn State Harrisburg is a great school with a good reputation, but I don't think they offer History. I could be wrong... Penn State Harrisburg is the website if you want to check it out.

I recommended Dickinson, Elizabethtown, Ship or Lebanon Valley College in the other thread.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:32 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
We just moved from NC to State College, PA, home of Penn State....and are loving it. EXCELLENT place to raise children!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl82 View Post

hi jersygirl my name is exzabria i live in sharon,pa 16146 the cost of living is low and the schools are great it's a small town w/affordable houses.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,810 times
hi jersy girl my name is exzabria I live in sharon,pa 16146 it's a small town w/affordable houses and great schools

Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Northeastern PA is only two hours from New York City and Philadelphia for fun day trips, yet we're still just far enough away to avoid much of the congestion, expense, crime, etc. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area has dozens of colleges, including some highly-ranked ones like the University of Scranton, King's College, Wilkes University, Misericordia University, Marywood University, and several Penn State branch campuses, amongst others. A new law school is coming to Wilkes-Barre in 2009, and a new medical school is coming to Scranton in 2009. We're about a 45-minute to 1-hour drive to the NJ border to visit friends and family. Scranton is consistently-ranked as one of the safest cities in the state, having only two murders in the past three years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania