Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 37,979 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to a small town not too far from Hagerstown, MD but in PA because it is less expensive up there. (I love Andy Griffith's town Mayberry) I checked out Chambersburg, but there seems to be too much crime and way too many pedophiles per capita for that little town. Does anyone know about Waynesboro. It looks good on paper. What have you heard? Can a recommendation be made? How are the local people's tolerance toward other individuals who are of mixed race? I am also trying to find a good nursing school in that general vacinity. Any recommendations there? One other thing, the polution and hazardous waste reports did fair too well in PA would West Virginia be a better community? Thanks for any help. Respectfully, an up and coming newbie.

Last edited by AnkaraTurin; 08-22-2007 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention small town feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
There's more dislike towards commuters that move to PA to avoid taxes than towards any race as far as i've noticed.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Hi,
We moved to Chambersburg almost 2 years ago. Waynesboro is a nice community, but I've heard there is a significant drug problem in that area. I've heard that from several co-workers, but I don't actually know if it is true.
We live as far south in Chambersburg that one can live and still be in the Borough. Our neighborhood is Laurich Meadows and we love the neighborhood. We have numerous families that aren't from the area and it adds a bit of diversity to the area. I'm a nurse and work in Hagerstown. Hubby also works in Hagerstown. There is a LPN program in Chambersburg. There is a RN program at Penn State Mont Alto, close to Waynesboro. Those are the two closest nursing programs.

I can't speak specifically to mixed races, but we do have a bi-racial couple in our neighborhood that are great people and are friends. The wife (white) perceives some negativity, but the husband (black) doesn't seem to see it. Could just be that the wife wants to see it. Hard to say.

I've never looked at the statistical info regarding pedophiles. I've never felt concerned or unsafe. I do see some "unsavory" types loitering downtown, but I only drive past those areas to get to our new shopping and restaurants You might also consider Greencastle. It is a great town.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 37,979 times
Default How about a comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Hi,
We moved to Chambersburg almost 2 years ago. Waynesboro is a nice community, but I've heard there is a significant drug problem in that area. I've heard that from several co-workers, but I don't actually know if it is true.
We live as far south in Chambersburg that one can live and still be in the Borough. Our neighborhood is Laurich Meadows and we love the neighborhood. We have numerous families that aren't from the area and it adds a bit of diversity to the area. I'm a nurse and work in Hagerstown. Hubby also works in Hagerstown. There is a LPN program in Chambersburg. There is a RN program at Penn State Mont Alto, close to Waynesboro. Those are the two closest nursing programs.

I can't speak specifically to mixed races, but we do have a bi-racial couple in our neighborhood that are great people and are friends. The wife (white) perceives some negativity, but the husband (black) doesn't seem to see it. Could just be that the wife wants to see it. Hard to say.

I've never looked at the statistical info regarding pedophiles. I've never felt concerned or unsafe. I do see some "unsavory" types loitering downtown, but I only drive past those areas to get to our new shopping and restaurants You might also consider Greencastle. It is a great town.
Military Spuse, thanks for the info. Can you give me a more indepth comparsion between Greencastle and Waynesboro? In light of the down turn real estate market in the nation, how is the housing market in that area?

I hope I replied correctly as this is only my 2nd time using this forum. I have aleady from everyones input found it very helpful. Thanks to all.

PS. May I ask what the going salary is for nurses in the area as well? I noticed here where I live there are more nurses with ASN and BSN. I am going through a program through our State University for an ASN degree, because here nurses get paid the same whether ASN or BSN. I could start working and then go ack for BSN while working and making $$$. But while searching the internet trying to find programs in PA area, couldn't find ASN program lots of LPN and BSN only.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:41 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Hi,
The program at Mont Alto is an ASN program. Nurses here seem to be paid the same whether an ASN or BSN. The hospital in Chambersburg offered me $29 and some change (maxed out experience scale) for PT. I work per-diem at the prison in Hagerstown and that rate is $27.50/hr plus shift/weekend differentials up to $6.00/hr. I wouldn't worry too much about the BSN unless your desire is for a mgt. or research-oriented position. If you are already in a nursing program, I would be hesitant to move before completing it.

My preference is Greencastle. I like Waynesboro, but Greencastle just seems a bit nicer. Plus, their schools have a great reputation. That being said, if you live in Greencastle, you will spend much of your time in either Chambersburg or Hagerstown for restaurants, shopping, exercise, etc. We have a great YMCA in Chambersburg and my friends from Greencastle drive up to Chambersburg to use it, primarily for their children's swim team and lessons. Chambersburg just got a new Target, Red Robin, Fudruckers, Kohls, Office Max, Michaels and other stuff. It is improving even in the 2 years we've been here.

I've never noticed any obvious pollution here. The rivers APPEAR clean. There doesn't appear to be any smog (grew up in SoCal). The water is good.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,248 times
You may also want to consider Mercersburg, its not far (about 15 miles) from Hagerstown Md and it is truely Mayberry. Schools are great, crime is low, its a little historic town where James Buchanan was born and home of the Mercersburg Academy (prep school for grades 9-12) and also has the Whitetail Ski Resort and some nice B & B and some great privately owned restaurants.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 30,190 times
Chambersburg, Waynesboro, and Greencastle ALL have significant drug usage problems, it is just more hidden in Greencastle then anywhere. I went to that school and believe me, there was a guy who owned a van and used to sit at the corner near the school and sell drugs out of his van, right underneath the cops' noses. You can't fart in Greencastle without everyone knowing it, but you can buy ****loads of drugs with no problem what so ever. Trust me, all the towns in this area have drug problems, you just hear about some more than others. Having went to school in Greencastle, the school system is great, but the people suck and your children are homeschooled so that may not apply. Again, you will spend plenty of time running to either Hagerstown or Chambersburg for shopping & dining out, ect. It's rather a pain, plus you pay more to live there. Between the commuting for casual dining & shopping, plus the commuting to work, plus the higher price of houses in Greencastle and very little job market, I would say you would get more for your money, all the way around, if you checked into Chambersburg. Chambersburg is bigger than Waynesboro & Greencastle. It does not have any major sort of polution problems. Franklin County is a good county to live in. Mountaineous region and clear fresh air unless you live downtown. If you are of mixed race, you definitely do not want to choose Greencastle, trust me on that one! Chambersburg however has a good mixing pot of races, so they are greatly more accepting of different races then Waynesboro & Greencastle.

That's just my opinion and I hope it helps.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 8,922 times
Default Moving to Hagerstown area

I am from TN, but in Waynesboro temporarily.

From the center of Waynesboro, it takes me 15 minutes to get to Hagerstown, easily - no heavy traffic.

There are a lot of old victorian style homes here for sale. Some in great shape, reasonable, especially right now.

Downtown is still a bit shabby, but they are working on it.

However, if I were to move here permanently, I might think seriously about moving to Greencastle. It is just off I81. Pretty town. It takes longer to get to Hagerstown from there, though, if that is a big concern. You would probably take I81.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 14,174 times
Default Don't believe all you here.

I would like to try and help as much as I can at my young age, therefore I am only going to speak of what I know of. First is Greencastle, which is where I've lived all my short life and my Grandfather started his family in the 1960s. I personally love the community, but I'm into rural areas and I've been here so long I'm accepted very easily. Someone eluded to it earlier, either in this thread or another, but new people aren't accepted very quickly in the schools. Also, the "reputation" of GA schools are normal stated by the school not the people that go there. They are not bad, but it is very clique oriented, and teachers tend to use the school as a start point and not a career, although you will also find those that have been there their whole careers. The school district is very self-centered about all kids going to college, and hate when someone would rather go to the Franklin County Career And Technolgy Center, especially if they boast a higher GPA (I am going to Vo-Tech next year with 3.89 GPA, so they don't like me too much right now ). Unfortunately, racist feelings are very previlant in the area, especially the areas out of town and in the Township. Drugs are a large issue, despite all efforts to mask it, and our police force has I think 1 or 2 full-time officers and maybe 3 part-timers. My dad, who dabbles in contracting when he isn't teaching, really feels that the housing market has flatlined, which is visible since I can think of at least five developments that were started and now sit with grass growing all around the untouched lots. By the way, Hagerstown is even worse with drugs and gangs, so it is not as good as it sounds either. Mercersburg, although quaint, the schools are falling apart, and if I can find a local newspaper article about it, I will post it. I would reccomend anyone looking for Mayberry should look to Fulton or Adams county. I only tried to comment on things I understand, I hope it was helpful.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 AM

140 posts, read 859,538 times
I lived in Waynesboro about 10 yrs ago. It was a nice little town, but has grown alot in the past 10 yrs. I lived about 3 miles out of town on a country road with a few other houses and corn fields around. I really enjoyed the area. The only thing that I disliked was when I first moved there I worked in the town and got to know alot of the people in town. But once I became employeed in Md.(better pay) the people I knew from working in town were not as friendly. I guess cause I was a commuter and was only there at nite and some weekends. That said and being 10 yrs ago , I'm sure it has changed with the growth in the area. I currently live in Hanover,Pa. about an hour east of Waynesboro. But this area is growing to much to be the small town it was when I moved here. So may be looking for another small town again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania