Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 15,410 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be driving from Brooklyn NY to Ohio this weekend, either on I-80 or the turnpike, and am wondering if there are some nature areas or parks close by these highways.

We are just looking for a nice green state park-type area to have lunch and run the dog and if possible, be able to see some nice PA nature!

It does not have to be RIGHT off the road; I don't mind if it is 10-15 minutes from the highway, but we don't want to drive 30-45 minutes to get to something, because it just adds too much time to the trip for us.

I may take one of these highways to Ohio and the other one back - so you can suggest nature areas for either highway.

Also, if anyone wants to recommend one highway route over another - please do so!

ps - if you happen to know toll costs on those routes, (not sure if I-80 has any tolls), please feel free to tell me! (I cannot figure it out via the PA turnpike website because I can't tell where I would be entering and exiting).

From googlemaps, it looks like it's 25? minutes longer to take I-80 as opposed to the turnpike, but the turnpike looks like it has tons of construction as well as not being as scenic.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:10 PM

189 posts, read 704,638 times
Bald Eagle State Park is located about 15 minutes from I-80 once you get off of the Milesburg exit. I would definitely recommend it if you want to see a nice PA state park. There is a McDonalds and Subway once you get off the exit, so you could definitely pick something up and have a picnic down at the park. Sayers Dam is a nice looking lake, as well.
PA*DCNR*-*Bald Eagle State Park

If you want something closer off the highway in a small town setting, I would recommend Talleyrand Park in Bellefonte, about 10 minutes off of the Bellefonte exit. It is a nice park with Spring Creek running through it, so you can see the ducks and trout, which is fun if you have kids. It's also just a nice place to have a picnic and go for a walk and enjoy the scenery.
Talleyrand Park - Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association BHCA

If you have more time, definitely go to Bald Eagle. But, if you just need a quick stop as you go across the middle of the state, consider stopping in Bellefonte at Talleyrand. I-80 is also toll free.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
If the difference is only 25 minutes, I would definitely take 80. You'll save money and it's much more scenic.

In the eastern part of the state, Hickory Run State Park is a few miles away from the PA 534 exit. The Boulder Field there is pretty cool, but it might be a bit far from 80. There are trails and picnic areas closer though.

In the western part of the state, SB Elliott State Park is right off of 80 at the PA 153, Penfield exit. Nice picnic areas and trails there too.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 PM

108 posts, read 254,914 times
I visited Boulder Field in Hickory Run State Park this summer. The boulder field is pretty neat but you have to drive a long ways on a dirt and gravel road to reach it so that isn't much fun. I also went to Big Pocono State Park recently. It has some great views of a huge stretch of the Poconos area. The Indian Trail was also very beautiful but more strenuous than I expected.

Take Exit 299 toward PA-715 North. Turn right onto PA-715 North. Turn left onto Sullivan Trail. Turn left onto Camelback Road. You then follow a winding uphill road which takes you pass the Camelback Mountain Resort. Look for the Big Pocono State Park gate. This is also how you can reach the Crossings Premium Outlets (without taking the Camelback Road).

There is a $1.00 toll to cross the Delaware Water Gap Toll Bridge when going from New Jersey into Pennsylvania.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
I would second S.B. Elliot State Park and choosing I-80 over I-76.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion11 View Post
Bald Eagle State Park is located about 15 minutes from I-80 once you get off of the Milesburg exit. I would definitely recommend it if you want to see a nice PA state park. There is a McDonalds and Subway once you get off the exit, so you could definitely pick something up and have a picnic down at the park. Sayers Dam is a nice looking lake, as well.
PA*DCNR*-*Bald Eagle State Park

If you want something closer off the highway in a small town setting, I would recommend Talleyrand Park in Bellefonte, about 10 minutes off of the Bellefonte exit. It is a nice park with Spring Creek running through it, so you can see the ducks and trout, which is fun if you have kids. It's also just a nice place to have a picnic and go for a walk and enjoy the scenery.
Talleyrand Park - Bellefonte Historical and Cultural Association BHCA

If you have more time, definitely go to Bald Eagle. But, if you just need a quick stop as you go across the middle of the state, consider stopping in Bellefonte at Talleyrand. I-80 is also toll free.

Enjoy your trip!
I think getting to Bellefonte from I-80 takes a little longer than you're letting on. Also I hate driving the streets of Bellefonte. Not a super easy task in the middle of a long road trip. The intersection at Linn St at Water Street is downright dangerous traffic-wise for someone unfamiliar with the traffic pattern.

I think going to Bald Eagle would actually be easier, although you are right it would take a little longer to get there & you'd have to back track.

I think S.B. Elliot State Park is easier.

Last edited by Davros; 07-15-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Did you see this map? PA*DCNR*-*By Region

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 AM

7 posts, read 15,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion11 View Post
Bald Eagle State Park is located about 15 minutes from I-80….
Enjoy your trip!
Thank you, this and the other posts really helps, and no I did not see the state park mao that the moderator posted, thanks for that!!

I will definitely be taking I-80.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 AM

45,335 posts, read 60,500,026 times
A little further afield than you may wish to go off 80 would the Cook Forest/Clear Creek complex off the Brookville exit (78?, used to be 13).

Cook Forest Online - Info on Cook Forest State Park, Pennsylvania - Lodging, Activities, Business Directory

PA*DCNR*-*Cook Forest State Park

PA*DCNR*-*Clear Creek State Park

Old 07-16-2014, 10:46 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Cook Forest is worth the trip. It is indeed Exit 78; go north on Pa. 36.

This is helpful information as well:

Pennsylvania Highways:* Interstate 80 Exit Guide

Where are you going in Ohio? Either way, I'd take I-80 over the turnpike - crossing the state now costs about 40 bucks - even if you're going to southern Ohio. There are no tolls on I-80 until you get west of Youngstown, where 80 becomes the Ohio Turnpike headed toward Cleveland and Toledo, and 76 becomes a no-toll highway that goes through Akron and meets up with I-77 and I-71, which will connect you with southern Ohio if that's the way you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania