Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 04:33 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Has anyone here ever been to Centralia?
Yes, I grew up in Sunbury, PA and had relatives that lived in Centralia though they move to adjacent towns and I never visited them. I use to drive through Centralia before they evacuated and also right after, they started tearing a lot of the houses down in 1986, now though there isn't much left and I have not been there for a number of years, just see it online and it looks barren compared to the way I remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clier1010 View Post
Hey everyone, I recently moved to johnstown with my girlfriend. I'm into photography, and love exploring, and just wanted to know if anyone knew of any good abandoned or suspectedly haunted places where I could explore and photograph, within maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours from johnstown. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
The Selinsgrove State School also known as Selinsgrove Center has some abandoned buildings, though I'm sure they are patrolled>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/statec...th/3541708024/

I saw some pictures elsewhere of the insides of one of them, hospital bed and stuff tossed around.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,808 times
Yes, went to centralia about 10 years ago. Creepy place. You can find pix online to see if it's something that would interest you. The smell is impossible to convey on the Interwebz, though.
Eta -- and the heat from fissures in the ground.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Yes, went to centralia about 10 years ago. Creepy place. You can find pix online to see if it's something that would interest you. The smell is impossible to convey on the Interwebz, though.
Eta -- and the heat from fissures in the ground.
Smell of Sulfur or Rotten Eggs is the best way to explain it for anyone who has never been there.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
I've been to Centralia quite a few times. I find it more sad than eerie. The smell isn't as noticeable as others say, unless it has died down a bit. You can only really smell it if you are right on top of the areas that are steaming.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I've been to Centralia quite a few times. I find it more sad than eerie. The smell isn't as noticeable as others say, unless it has died down a bit. You can only really smell it if you are right on top of the areas that are steaming.
It use to be bad, but I have not been in Centralia in a long time, last time I was through there they just closed 61 and re routed it. You could see the ashes and dead trees right off of 61 across from the old church on the top of the hill.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:56 AM

18 posts, read 38,571 times
That's all great stuff guys!! I was thinking about checking out a location called storybook forest and forest zoo? Somewhere up by gallitzin pa? Anyone know of the place?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Story Book Forest is a part of Idlewild Park in Ligonier. It's still very much open.

https://www.idlewild.com/things-to-d...ry-book-forest

You're thinking of Fantasy Forest:

Forest Zoo and Fantasy Forest: A Look Back - WeAreCentralPA.com - your one stop community web portal for all your Central Pennsylvania News, Sports and Weather, powered by WTAJ Your News Leader

A similar abandoned park is Fairyland Forest in Conneaut Lake:

Conneaut Lake, PA - Fairyland Forest (Closed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania