Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:44 AM

28 posts, read 33,785 times

Advertisements

I need to find out some info about Erie. If anyone can help out please reply!

Please recommend cities/ neighborhoods within Erie and neighboring communities (up to 30 mins commute) that have good public schools and a family atmosphere.

What parts should I avoid if any?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 02:02 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,569 times
expand your horizon to a 90 minute commute and you might get what you want.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,860,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycforlife View Post
I need to find out some info about Erie. If anyone can help out please reply!

Please recommend cities/ neighborhoods within Erie and neighboring communities (up to 30 mins commute) that have good public schools and a family atmosphere.

What parts should I avoid if any?

Thanks!
There are not many cities within 30 minutes of Erie, but there are plenty of suburban and small town areas that should provide what you want. I recommend Fairview, HarborCreek, and some parts of Millcreek as good options. Also, Erie has some very good private and magnet schools that should not preclude you from looking in the city unless you desire more land. The city has pretty big borders and there are some very safe neighborhoods within the city limits. Let me know if you have any questions and I can try to help.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to any of the county schools. The communities in those districts include a mix of small towns, rural districts, and typical suburbs. The only districts outside the 30-minute commute window would be Corry and maybe Northwestern (Albion) and Union City. As Trackstar pointed out, there are great private and public schools within the city as well.

A big suburb like Millcreek has a range of neighborhoods, like the city of Erie itself, from modest to exclusive. As for areas in the city to avoid, there are some rough neigborhoods. Maybe you could be a little more expansive in what you're looking for?

Old 06-23-2015, 04:25 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,894,638 times
Cities? Most send their kids to catholic school or live in the Millcreek area. You seem to love NYC, be prepared. You are moving to the sticks. You will have a complete culture shock.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:53 PM

18 posts, read 29,423 times
Stay out of the inner city. At least 5 shootings a day, Rape, and home invasions are horribly out of control. The city is quickly spiraling down hill. Just driving around, you risk getting shot at. The Police power is very small, but they do work their butts off. The problem is they dont really have man power to combat the the gun crimes. Kids that are the age of 14-17 are the most troublesome.

Its no joke here. Everyone is mean, uptight, with little to look forward to in their future in this village. The Mayor only cares about parties that the city holds weekly, annoying the entire downtown with music till 11PM most nights, or the motorcycles that you can hear for 8 blocks.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:15 PM

18 posts, read 29,423 times
They just announced concerts for the " We Hate Erie Days", had a bigggg, fun meeting about the crap venues out dated from the late 80"s, while kids are getting shot, beatn, robbed, stabbed and raped.

Read goerie like they said already here, DO NOT move here, you will regret it forever, if you make it out.

They just spent 3.8 Million on a BS park in the center of the city, but thats again, motivated for the Crap concerts, Horrible, over priced Rib festivals, and biker conventions.

I cant wait to move from this craphole.

I have kids, that have bikes, and I cant let them ride around the block in fear of getting shot or beatn for them. 1 Time my kid got punched off his bike, that was the last time they got to ride them.

And hope you like trains, because every 10 minutes you can hear them though out the village, day and night.

Hope your car can take a beating, because the street are the worst I have EVER seen. But still, no money to fix them, but ooooooooooooh, dont cancel the plans for the City downtown park, No wayyyyy.. Where else would the Mayors friends gather if that wasnt there.

The Mayor needs replaced, and until that happens, this Village will get worse, and worse, and worse...

They spent millions on new curbs, so the handicap can get to sidewalk to sidewalk, THAT THEY STILL DONT USE, AND, even the people of Erie dont walk the sidewalks, they walk right down the middle of the street, and make YOU drive around them. ANd dont give a dirty look to them, they will cuse, give you the finger or shot you.

Winter isnt so bad, but it is when everyone walks in the street, And im talking, right down the middle of it, with no cares. They have the right of way, of course.

Many downtown businesses complained about a Biker rally to raise Money, which they have downtown, because they block off 6 blocks for 5 days, and most lose upto 40% of income and revenue for the street closures, BUT, the city doesnt care.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:33 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,411,758 times
Now it's been 30 years since I lived in Erie, but back then General McLane was a good school district, and Edinboro a good place to live.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieVoice View Post
Stay out of the inner city. At least 5 shootings a day, Rape, and home invasions are horribly out of control. The city is quickly spiraling down hill. Just driving around, you risk getting shot at. The Police power is very small, but they do work their butts off. The problem is they dont really have man power to combat the the gun crimes. Kids that are the age of 14-17 are the most troublesome.

Its no joke here. Everyone is mean, uptight, with little to look forward to in their future in this village. The Mayor only cares about parties that the city holds weekly, annoying the entire downtown with music till 11PM most nights, or the motorcycles that you can hear for 8 blocks.
This is not even a good attempt at trolling. 5 shootings a day? I will admit that preliminary reports show an increase in crime in the city of Erie last year. However, there were still only 177 violent crimes in Erie in 2014 according to the FBI website, which is less than one per day. Of course these numbers are not final yet, but Erie is relatively safe compared to similar size cities like Allentown, or Green Bay.

Here is a link to the data: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...onsin_2014.xls

Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieVoice View Post
They just announced concerts for the " We Hate Erie Days", had a bigggg, fun meeting about the crap venues out dated from the late 80"s, while kids are getting shot, beatn, robbed, stabbed and raped.

Read goerie like they said already here, DO NOT move here, you will regret it forever, if you make it out.

They just spent 3.8 Million on a BS park in the center of the city, but thats again, motivated for the Crap concerts, Horrible, over priced Rib festivals, and biker conventions.

I cant wait to move from this craphole.

I have kids, that have bikes, and I cant let them ride around the block in fear of getting shot or beatn for them. 1 Time my kid got punched off his bike, that was the last time they got to ride them.

And hope you like trains, because every 10 minutes you can hear them though out the village, day and night.

Hope your car can take a beating, because the street are the worst I have EVER seen. But still, no money to fix them, but ooooooooooooh, dont cancel the plans for the City downtown park, No wayyyyy.. Where else would the Mayors friends gather if that wasnt there.

The Mayor needs replaced, and until that happens, this Village will get worse, and worse, and worse...

They spent millions on new curbs, so the handicap can get to sidewalk to sidewalk, THAT THEY STILL DONT USE, AND, even the people of Erie dont walk the sidewalks, they walk right down the middle of the street, and make YOU drive around them. ANd dont give a dirty look to them, they will cuse, give you the finger or shot you.

Winter isnt so bad, but it is when everyone walks in the street, And im talking, right down the middle of it, with no cares. They have the right of way, of course.

Many downtown businesses complained about a Biker rally to raise Money, which they have downtown, because they block off 6 blocks for 5 days, and most lose upto 40% of income and revenue for the street closures, BUT, the city doesnt care.
Your trolling is still pretty bad, but you do bring up some valid points I guess.

1) Where did the Erie Times say not to move to Erie?
2) The park renovation downtown is a bit costly and odd
3) Sorry to hear about your kids getting punched and having their bikes stolen
4) The roads in Erie are in bad shape and I am assuming this is because of the dwindling population and the lack of taxpaying residents.
5) The Mayor is a little quiet, but I like some of his ideas
6) Your rant about curbs for the handicap is very misguided. This was done because Erie was not in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the city was sued because of this issue.
7) I agree that in the winter many people walk in the street. This is usually because not everyone shovels their sidewalk, especially some of the vacant buildings downtown.
8) The Roar on the Shore is the single largest economic impact event for the Erie region and it generates over $30+ million for the Erie area in 3-4 days each year. I am not sure why people would be upset about an event that generates this kind of impact for the region. I just wish they would use some of the revenues to fix the streets downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania