Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

So here is one link that points out good reasons why we should change our Primary system: https://psmag.com/how-can-we-fix-the...2e7#.257wafuig. I know that legislation has been introduced in the past to correct many of our downfalls - but it has gone no place (that I know of). Our politicians only want change if they feel it will benefit them.

Pennsylvania is the sixth most populated state. Because of our crazy Primary system we do not command the National spotlight like our State should.

It isn't just that but our major Parties are losing members: http://www.gallup.com/poll/188096/de...ical-lows.aspx. Now 42% of the voters identify as Independents. If both the Republicans and Democrats do not loosen the reins and give the voters more say they could fade into oblivion. You cannot be the 'establishment' if you have no members!

I have to ask if there are currently any bills to reform the system? Or, is it over now, and we will not think about it for another decade?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
It's kind of a catch-22 isn't it? If neither party feels any heat about it, why change the system? I don't know how you would get any politician to move on it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It's kind of a catch-22 isn't it? If neither party feels any heat about it, why change the system? I don't know how you would get any politician to move on it.

They should feel 'heat'! The major Parties are loosing members; isn't that good enough reason to consider change?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:24 PM

Why? Are you all rising up in solidarity and trying to change anything? I'm with you and agree with open primaries. I also think Pennsylvania's system is stupid. Everyone should be able to vote. I just don't see what advantage that is to sitting State legislatures. Call me cynical, I just don't see change happening unless Independents can get in office, and that's pretty impossible with our system. Or they sneakily get in as Dems or Republicans and then switch to Independents.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Why? Are you all rising up in solidarity and trying to change anything? I'm with you and agree with open primaries. I also think Pennsylvania's system is stupid. Everyone should be able to vote. I just don't see what advantage that is to sitting State legislatures. Call me cynical, I just don't see change happening unless Independents can get in office, and that's pretty impossible with our system. Or they sneakily get in as Dems or Republicans and then switch to Independents.

I would love to see new Parties spring up from the majority of Independents like: 'My Vote Counts' or 'The American Taxpayer'! Unfortunately, for third Party candidates, most seem like they were hand picked by the major Parties! They always have some baggage that nobody wants to touch.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Openning the primary to all voters is not first on my list. Delegate selection is. What we have now has got to go. I always thought winning delegates like winning points. You can't take it away fro the winner. Trump and only he educated the nation how the system really works. It is a back stop to irrational voters picking unqualified candidates to represent the party. Can't have that.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Openning the primary to all voters is not first on my list. Delegate selection is. What we have now has got to go. I always thought winning delegates like winning points. You can't take it away fro the winner. Trump and only he educated the nation how the system really works. It is a back stop to irrational voters picking unqualified candidates to represent the party. Can't have that.
Not true, my man Bernie complained about it too. But it's not news to those of us that have been voting in primaries our whole lives, or at least since 1984 when they came into being. Generally, the super-delegates do vote for whomever the voters decide but this is not the first election where their super strange powers have come into play.

Back to Pennsylvania primaries.... A lot of states have open primaries and all mail ballots. I'd be happy with either of those choices too.

Realtors, See This.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:10 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I'm unaffiliated, but I understand why the primaries are closed and don't really have a problem with it. Selecting a candidate for a party should be left to people who are vested in the party, otherwise you are open to shenanigans from the opposition. The first thing I would want to see fixed is gerrymandering, which has made a mockery of the notion of legislative representation.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They should feel 'heat'! The major Parties are loosing members; isn't that good enough reason to consider change?
Why would they care if they are losing members?

They still have all of the elected political positions, and all of the influence in state and local government. It isn't like they collect dues from more members.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Why would they care if they are losing members?

They still have all of the elected political positions, and all of the influence in state and local government. It isn't like they collect dues from more members.

They do in the way that they collect donations. But, of course, only the big corporate donors count.

I just think that somebody is bothered by the fact that there are about ten/fifteen percent more Independents than there are Republicans or Democrats. It also looks like that trend could continue for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania