Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 19,147 times

Advertisements

We are relocating and are thinking about buying a house in Hampden heights in Reading. What is the area like??? What are the public elementary and middle schools like for that area?

Any input would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdalmatian View Post
We are relocating and are thinking about buying a house in Hampden heights in Reading. What is the area like??? What are the public elementary and middle schools like for that area?

Any input would be great!!
Hello there,

In my experience, Hampden Heights is definitely one of the nicest areas of Reading -- right on the outskirts situated at the edge of Mt. Penn. A lot of large, well-kept homes are in that neighborhood. Albright College is a dominant force in that part of town, as well. I know that there is an Elementary School, Middle School, and High school all on 13th Street. Public schooling in Reading, however, isn't always considered the greatest compared to the surrounding suburban school districts.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 PM

54 posts, read 224,781 times
2 words of advice....private schooling.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,256 times
I would agree with tomahawk here. The house maybe nice, but I would not send my children to school in the Reading School District!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,925 times
Default Hampden Heights Neighborhood

Hampden Heights is probably just about the nicest neighborhood in the City of Reading...it has some lovely homes...some almost upscale. As far as sending your children to public school...you would be in the Reading School District. I would not advise sending your children to those schools. There aren't many private schools to choose from...there are Catholic schools near by...Holy Guardian Angels Grade School (which is brand new) in Muhlenberg Township, which is very close by. Then there is Central Catholic HS, which is a couple miles down the road...although they are supposed to be building a new school soon...in the suburban Township of Exeter, which is a few miles further. There is also Holy Name HS, which is on the other side of Reading from Hamden Heights, still in the city. So the neighborhood of Hampden Heights is nice, the public schools aren't so nice.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,419 times
Default Hampden Heights & College Heights Neighborhoods in Reading, PA

We too are looking in the Hampden Heights and College Heights neighborhoods of Reading, PA. Some beautiful homes online (we actually haven't looked in person). I see the ratings are below average on the schools. We don't have any children but, I would still like to know more about both areas. I'm also concerned about the crime rate in the area! Any input would be appreciated! Thank you, Deb

Last edited by catlady9277; 05-15-2016 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: errors

Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Hampden Heights is a nice, woodsy suburban like area above Albright College. Its had complaints about campus housing and noise and parties and drinking near the college. Reading schools ARE bad so that's a strike against it. Just east bordering Mount Penn is the area called Hessian Camp which is even nicer with some very large old homes and small mansions. I know the Turkey Hills and mini marts in the area frequently get robbed. I don't think crime is too bad but you are right next to some sketchy areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania