Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 AM

99 posts, read 466,907 times

Advertisements

For anyone wanting to avoid the racist parts of PA note the following--:

Since being kicked out of Idaho, the AN is now headquartered in Ulysses, Pennsylvania marked with the sign "God's country"

Aryan Nations to Open Pa. Outpost

Old 07-20-2007, 07:13 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Thanks for the heads-up.

Just a note, though, that in Potter County (where Ulysses is located) there are many signs that say "God's Country" because that's been their slogan there for years and years. It's unfortunate the Aryan Nation has chosen to also use the same slogan.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
I agree on God’s country. Potter County has used that slogan for decades and it has nothing to do with the Aryan Nation.

Within the Pennsylvania forum, I constantly read about white racism. Most people blatantly call Pennsylvanians hicks, hillbillies, and much of Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is referred to as “Hicksville.”

For those of you moving to Pennsylvania, it’s not just the whites that are racist. The blacks and Hispanics are just as bad as the whites if not worse. I’m not sure where this Utopia lies that everybody is moving from, but I’d sure like to see this magical place where everybody gets a long. In fact, would suggest staying there if things are that perfect.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,388 times
It's not that things are perfect in the rest of the world, it's just that signs of progression are evident elsewhere. It is obvious that in many areas of Pennsylvania - racism is extremely apparent and for people moving from other areas that are more diverse and accepting, this is somewhat of a culture shock. Perhaps people should have done a little more research before moving into certain areas of the state. I sure wish I had, but I've decided to stop complaining about the hicks and not liking the fact that PA appears to be so far behind when it comes to race relations - I'm just going to pack my bags and move back to where I came from. Easy enough!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
It's not that things are perfect in the rest of the world, it's just that signs of progression are evident elsewhere. It is obvious that in many areas of Pennsylvania - racism is extremely apparent and for people moving from other areas that are more diverse and accepting, this is somewhat of a culture shock. Perhaps people should have done a little more research before moving into certain areas of the state. I sure wish I had, but I've decided to stop complaining about the hicks and not liking the fact that PA appears to be so far behind when it comes to race relations - I'm just going to pack my bags and move back to where I came from. Easy enough!

........so where did you come from?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 AM

I came from the Washington, D.C. area. That doesn't mean there's no racism or signs of racial separation in the D.C. area because there is, but overall the area embraces diversity much more than many of the rural areas of PA, which is where I currently live.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
I’ve lived in Pennsylvania, California, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, and visited New York City quite often as well as several other states. Despite what people keep stating, racism existed in all of these places. If you’re white and move into a black neighborhood, the blacks are as racist as the whites and will discriminate against you. I’ve watched blacks discriminate against Hispanics worse than white people have. I’ve been with groups of Hispanics and I was speaking Spanish with them. While I was speaking Spanish, I’ve had several blacks say, “Damn, that’s one white ****. Sometimes they even called me a ****.” After living in an all black neighborhood, yes I’m white, and watching how blacks discriminated against everybody that wasn’t white, I thought, “Wow! Racism isn’t unique to the white man! Everybody does it.” The most mind boggling thing I’ve witnessed was when American blacks discriminated against African immigrants. Equally as boggling was when I watched American blacks call Dominicans, black Cubans, and Black Puerto Ricans spics! I couldn’t believe it at first. Needless to say, the first time I witnessed these events it was a real eye opener.

The only place I ever lived where there was very little racial discrimination was the three months I spent in Mexico. True I had some innocent fun poked at me by Mexicans, but it was mostly harmless. The small towns and cities that I drifted in and out of weren’t diverse so that’s why there wasn’t any racism. I’m quite sure that if there’s a town somewhere in Mexico that has racially diverse people, there’s racism, on all sides of the coin.

I live in rural Pennsylvania. Most people that I’m acquainted with do not like people that aren’t white, including Italians. I often wonder why most of them hate other races so much because they’ve never lived with or known any of them. Not all of the whites are like this, many don’t care or at least never talk about it. While I may or may not agree with any of their points, at least they don’t hate me because of my skin color. I’d rather live with them than to live in an all black neighborhood and put up with racism from the black man. My entire point behind my posting was to make clear that racism isn’t unique to the white man. In fact, the white man has little on other men of color.

It still brings me to another point I was making. The use of the words “redneck, hillbilly, and Hicksville” are racist terms.

Talk2u, I seriously doubt that the D.C. area is more embracing towards diversity. I’m quite sure that a black person would fare much better in a poor rural section of Pennsylvania than a white person would in a poor all black section of D.C. There’s little progression from what I’ve seen. Just because people aren’t as open about it as they used to be doesn’t mean that it’s not there. In the past twenty years that I’ve witnessed, white American society has dropped a lot of racist terms and replaced them with a lot of colorful euphemisms. Blacks are still openly racist, in fact they’ve only gotten worse. By the way, you used the word hick…

Old 07-26-2007, 05:50 AM

Default You obviously didn't read my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I’ve lived in Pennsylvania, California, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, and visited New York City quite often as well as several other states. Despite what people keep stating, racism existed in all of these places. If you’re white and move into a black neighborhood, the blacks are as racist as the whites and will discriminate against you. I’ve watched blacks discriminate against Hispanics worse than white people have. I’ve been with groups of Hispanics and I was speaking Spanish with them. While I was speaking Spanish, I’ve had several blacks say, “Damn, that’s one white ****. Sometimes they even called me a ****.” After living in an all black neighborhood, yes I’m white, and watching how blacks discriminated against everybody that wasn’t white, I thought, “Wow! Racism isn’t unique to the white man! Everybody does it.” The most mind boggling thing I’ve witnessed was when American blacks discriminated against African immigrants. Equally as boggling was when I watched American blacks call Dominicans, black Cubans, and Black Puerto Ricans spics! I couldn’t believe it at first. Needless to say, the first time I witnessed these events it was a real eye opener.

The only place I ever lived where there was very little racial discrimination was the three months I spent in Mexico. True I had some innocent fun poked at me by Mexicans, but it was mostly harmless. The small towns and cities that I drifted in and out of weren’t diverse so that’s why there wasn’t any racism. I’m quite sure that if there’s a town somewhere in Mexico that has racially diverse people, there’s racism, on all sides of the coin.

I live in rural Pennsylvania. Most people that I’m acquainted with do not like people that aren’t white, including Italians. I often wonder why most of them hate other races so much because they’ve never lived with or known any of them. Not all of the whites are like this, many don’t care or at least never talk about it. While I may or may not agree with any of their points, at least they don’t hate me because of my skin color. I’d rather live with them than to live in an all black neighborhood and put up with racism from the black man. My entire point behind my posting was to make clear that racism isn’t unique to the white man. In fact, the white man has little on other men of color.

It still brings me to another point I was making. The use of the words “redneck, hillbilly, and Hicksville” are racist terms.

Talk2u, I seriously doubt that the D.C. area is more embracing towards diversity. I’m quite sure that a black person would fare much better in a poor rural section of Pennsylvania than a white person would in a poor all black section of D.C. There’s little progression from what I’ve seen. Just because people aren’t as open about it as they used to be doesn’t mean that it’s not there. In the past twenty years that I’ve witnessed, white American society has dropped a lot of racist terms and replaced them with a lot of colorful euphemisms. Blacks are still openly racist, in fact they’ve only gotten worse. By the way, you used the word hick…
...because one of the first things I said was "That doesn't mean there's no racism or signs of racial separation in the D.C. area because there is". However, I think our points are the same. I feel discriminated against for being black living in rural Pennsylvania, just as you did being white in all of the other places that you've lived.

All races and all people, have prejudices against other people. It's sad but true. All I'm saying is, I'd rather live in a place that I "perceive" to be more accepting based on my experiences living there.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 12,677 times
I have read nothing more honest than this.

ALL HATE IS A LEARNED CONDITION. THERE IS NO REASON TO BE THIS WAY.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Considering that someone has brought up an old thread based on a much older news article, I think to be fair to our Potter County neighbors we need to update the situation. The haters got run out of town. See Mountain Home Magazine - Life in the Pennsylvania Mountains & the New York Finger Lakes: High On The Mountain Again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania