Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 04:26 AM

837 posts, read 855,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
BTW, the Attorney General doesn't enforce the laws at the local level — that's the District Attorney's job. And most of the laws that cover the crimes people think of as "crime" — robbery, burglary, theft, murder, rape, etc. — may be codified by the state, but it's left up to local (municipal or county) officials to enforce them. State AGs, where they get involved with direct law enforcement, usually concern themselves with "white-collar" crime, crimes committed by state officials, or crimes where the acts span multiple jurisdictions. The State Police don't patrol our city streets, and the Attorney General doesn't prosecute our local lawbreakers.

Crime prevention is everyone's job. We hire cops to tamp down on it and to arrest those who commit crimes once they occur, but the prevention part requires the citizenry as well as the cops to truly be effective.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsy...torney_General

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_attorney_general

The attorney general isn't a police officer in where he or she arrests criminals on the street or the highways , that's the state troopers and the patrolman's job to do that. The attorney general is the chief law enforcement officer throughout his jurisdiction, whether it be the district attorney in the City of Philadelphia or Allegheny County or the PA Attorney General.

As former military, there's always a chain of command, and if PA was the military, then the PA Attorney General would be equivalent and closest to the Secretary of Defense since there's no such position in PA. The Governor of PA is the commander-in-chief of the PA national guard. The Philadelphia and the Pittsburgh police departments are under the control of their mayors, followed by the county executives (depending on the county) and county commission, and finally the governor, which Tom Wolf is the current incumbent who's restricted to term limits.

Philadelphia's crime rate may not be as reflective on Shapiro as it's reflective on Krasner since Shapiro is statewide, but whether Shapiro is the PA attorney general or the Philadelphia district attorney, the high crime rate in Philadelphia as well as the high crime rates now in Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Reading, and Allentown are reflective of the PA attorney general's failure to rein in and prevent crime from happening.

I can't wait for this one debate to happen. I still believe that Oz-Fetterman is the more important campaign, but let's not pretend that Shapiro is some friend to minorities. I've seen his wen site, and although he wants to help blacks, I have yet to see him address the issues of PA's fastest growing group: Latinos!!! It's just empty rhetoric on Shapiro's part and I'm not fully convinced that Shapiro really wants to help minorities since there have been numerous Dem candidates that have addressed the same needs for blacks and Latinos, only to never follow through once elected.

The PA Democrat party is campaigning like it's the 1970's and 1980's when the party should've taken ahold of the growing Asian and Latino populations, and it won't surprise me that both groups will vote Republican in wide margins. I don't expect Mastriano to win the Asian and Latino votes, but I do expect him to get no more than 40%, just enough to probably carry the state and win the election. Shapiro is trying to appeal to blacks, which I don't mind, but the playbook of going into black neighborhoods, the black church, and even a few black restaurants is outdated IMO and Shapiro isn't doing enough to address the issue of chronic black unemployment and black-on-black crime, just empty rhetoric.

BTW, there's never been an Italian-American governor or lieutenant governor elected in PA's history (Joseph B. Scarnati III was the first Italian-American to preside as lieutenant governor but he was never elected as he presided over the role after Catherine Baker Knoll passed away, and since he was the president pro tempore of the PA Senate, he took over the role of lieutenant governor). The Italian-American vote will be pivotal as Mastriano seeks to be the first Italian-American governor elected in PA's history (DelRosso who's married to an Italian-American as her maiden name is Lewis but it's still an interesting tidbit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In any case, Mastriano's embrace of the election-denier agenda is enough on its own to disqualify him from holding the Governorship even if he were going to legalize "abortion on demand and without apology," appoint a Cabinet full of transgender people and enact a severance tax on shale gas.
If the majority of PA voters want Mastriano to be the next chief executive over Shapiro then that's the destiny of the Commonwealth. He's already the GOP gubernatorial candidate and because of that, he's already qualified in my book as Shapiro is. The real question is who's going to be the next PA governor, the "confederate" and election denier or the chief cheater enabler?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-01-2022 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic comments

Old 09-29-2022, 07:39 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The real question is who's going to be the next PA governor, the "confederate" and election denier or the chief cheater enabler?
Ok, I'll bite. Do tell why you're framing Josh Shapiro as a "chief cheater enabler." And please cite verifiable facts with links.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-01-2022 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned comments

Old 10-01-2022, 02:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I really did warn you all. I get that PA politics are interconnected with national politics but when you totally leave PA politics and talk about national politics, that's off topic for this forum. Feel free to give it another shot, but next time a thread gets hi-jacked, infractions will be given for hi-jacking.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania