Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2022, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,918 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone...my husband's family was from Franklin, and we spent a few days there several years ago, and I thought it was a beautiful small town. My husband passed away, and I was thinking of moving there from NJ.

Now visiting a place and actually living there are two different things, so I'm looking for opinions of people who live or did live there on all aspects of area life. The area I'm from now is suburban, but it's getting so built up it doesn't resemble anything from even 10 years ago. Calm country life seems wonderful to me right now.

So please, anything from your own experience or what you've heard from reliable sources is welcome. What are the supermarkets like? Restaurants? How are the stores in the downtown? How bad is the snow in winter? (We, of course, only visited in summer.)

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 07:29 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,540,181 times
I dont live IN franklin, but not that far away and Im there fairly often.

its an old oil robber baron town, so it has spectacular homes and not so. there are stores up towards cranberry and the mall, and out something called the 'reno strip' - no so much IN franklin.

everything you will want is 15 minutes - 20 tops, in any direction.

snow? if erie gets clobbered you will get the coattails.

like most of small town PA, the stores are second hand antique and boutiquish. there are some really good restaurants in the area. the 'main street' area has a fairly decent norman rockwell north east feel to it. and a good friend of mine ran the local winery but they went underground during the plague and Im not sure they are coming back

almost all of the old oil industry is gone, like 2% of its former self so along the reno strip and 6 up in warren etc

Old 12-25-2022, 06:50 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,526,493 times
I went through looking at old houses/bulidings for sale . The Franklin Club a 10,000 sq ft monstrosity on Liberty St is for sale for $219k and looks in good shape. The armory next to the fire deptt needs work and sells for $289k

Both would be perfect... for a family of 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania